Were you allow to use math formulas for your math exams?

Were you allow to use math formulas for your math exams?

Other urls found in this thread:

math.bme.hu/~tasnadi/merninf_anal_1/derivalttablazat.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No, of course not.

How are you going to complete a math exam without using any formula?

In my analysis class, we had to memorize every theorem, state them and use them. I made about 150 flash cards and I got through it ok

My math teacher didn't let us use any formulas. I was wondering if this is common or is it just him..

I think its common for remedial classes but the higher you go youre expected to memorize these things/ just know past formulas. If you understand the concept behind the formula its easy to remember

So by formulas you mean cheat sheet?

binomial theorem?

never mind you can't use it for op's image because it's a^n+b^n and not (a+b)^n but you can just keep factoring out and you will get the final answer.

yes

for short formulas you could just write them on your pencil and cover them up with your hand when the professor walks by. That and write it on your desk before the exam and if he sees it say you wrote it during the exam and on the desk because you had no room on the paper.

I had an exam on nuber theory and we could have everything (laptops/notebooks/books/textbooks etc.). The exam lasted 5 hours and the top marks were 19/100. Anyway, the less shit u need the better.

They allowed me but I didn't use them.

how many questions?

>The exam lasted 5 hours and the top marks were 19/100

What the fuck. What were the questions?

There were 5 questions with subquestions. 3 of them were proofs which noone even tried to fuck with. The rest was more practical but mathematica didnt helped much. I forgot what the questions were. Its some time since then.

so everyone failed in the class? You are gonna drop the class now that the highest grade was 19/100? There really isn't any coming back to fix your final grade from that desu.

>gets formula without derivation OR proof
>expected to memorize it

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

At highschool, yes
After that, no

Something similar here, we could bring a page or two worth of theorems and propositions (without proofs) to a general topology test. 5 hours, 4 questions, and the average grade was 33/100

calc 2

1 two sided, handwritten, 4" x 6" card for the final was allowed. He handed out the blank cards with his initial in the corner.

>his initial in the corner
for what purpose?

Not to cheat size maybe.

You had to turn it in to him with the exam and if it didn't have the initial, you got a 0.

idk this guy was weird but having a little help on the cumulative final was a nice gesture.

>that one tard in your upper division classes that asked if we could have a notecard even though it still didn't help him

The further I got through Uni, the more frequently they'd let us take notes in. Which is good. If everybody is forced to learn formulas, tests are a measure of your rote learning ability, not your mathematical ability.

thats the sad thing about upper class math

there's nothing you can do except learn the stuff, bringing even the book wont do much for most math

think logically

For every math class. 1 A4, hand-written, both sides. At first i was reluctant and draw hearts on it, but algebraic number theory is bonkers. D even with sheet and i was among top 10 on exam.

The fuck? Is this an American thing?

>At first i was reluctant and draw hearts on it
Is there not a better way to show off your superiority complex?

You are correct, but inefficient. Yes any maths paper should be able to be completed well without any knowledge of formulas. But you're only slowing yourself down without them...

No, but we never ever used these identities besides the first one (maybe the second one as well, but I don't think it was ever needed in exams)

USA here. Teachers are given a choice between different methods of bringing peoples' grades up. They can decide whether to:

>curve grades
>allow formula sheets
>drop an exam/replace it with the final

But never all three.

In calc 2 we could use this table of the derivatives of common functions math.bme.hu/~tasnadi/merninf_anal_1/derivalttablazat.pdf
Never needed it desu. They let you use it bc you can't really use it for anything

I wasn't the only one. Half of the class didn't bring any sheet for our first exam (lingebra).

I get to bring a formulae book written by Karl Rottmann to every exam. It covers most things. Instead of having to memorise formulae we get incredibly difficult problems instead. There recently was an exam where 200/450 students failed.

S U C C I N T

in the US higher education system, specifically the computer science area, this test is known as the fizzbuzz.

literally the black death of the computer science world. it removes about half of the weakest so-called 'programmers' in one go.

Yes but I rarely ever used them. We were offered one for ODE but it's pretty easy to just derive the form. And I'm too lazy to make up my own form sheet

Physics exams, yes, but they were generally a trap to help the unworthy be unprepared, and it was an effective trap.

average canadian university here. none of my math classes have permitted us a formula sheet (or calculator), except for intro statistics, which allowed us a 2-sided cheat sheet for the final. there were probably 20-30 formulas to know so it was pretty helpful, but really for that class you could have a perfect cheat sheet and still fail the exam if you didn't understand the concepts.

Not for math, but I've exams where I could bring my textbook.

But it's a trap.They don't give you the time to look stuff up. If you haven't studied you're sure to fail.

I'm sure more students fail compared to a regular exam.

>formulas
>formulas
>formulas
It's formulae!!!

>not using formulii
get on my level bitch ass nigga

>not using fr'm'l'e

So pedestrian.