Hey Veeky Forums what are your opinions of warp drives, is it the future of space travel...

hey Veeky Forums what are your opinions of warp drives, is it the future of space travel, or is it just a fantasy technology?

Other urls found in this thread:

arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0009013
physics.stackexchange.com/questions/128075/how-would-wormhole-based-ftl-violate-causality
kamenrider.wikia.com/wiki/Mach_Driver_Honoh
science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2011/11jan_antimatter
forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=74530
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Both.

this

We have no idea how we might go about getting any method of FTL travel functioning, since all of them, save for wormholes, violate what we know of physics thus far

if it works, then we will live in paradise, if it doesn't, we can make due with what we have for space travel

Pure fantasy. Relativity says FTL is time travel.

Warp drive isn't actually FTL. You aren't actual moving faster than light, you are compressing the spacetime around you and moving within that.

The issue isn't that it violates any laws of physics, it is that it requires a form of energy which we don't know how to create (however there is nothing preventing this type of energy from existing).

arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0009013

same as any other hypothetical invention, it'll be great if it's ever invented

I think based on "can be done" technology, approximately 1 million years necessary for colonizing the galaxy. That's actually very short period.

it's scifi magic invented to get around stars easily for story purposes

hopefully, I saw a thread once mention they recalculated the amount of exotic matter needed, if the drive oscillated, something like that, so the fuel consumption halve, so its more manageable or plausible now, perhaps, maybe.

although I've also read they overheat, fry the crew with radiation, so who knows, needs thicker hull or some kind of shielding

current theory has the top speed of a warp drive at 10 times speed of light. which gives you a range of only a few hundred light years. Unless you generation ship. Even then it will probably have to stop to refuel and repair often. which further reduces the range of the ship.

A future human might be able to travel a few stars over. Though human civilization would take dozens of generations to get outside the local area of our galaxy.

No any FTL is time travel, even moving space and wormholes:
physics.stackexchange.com/questions/128075/how-would-wormhole-based-ftl-violate-causality

Warp Drive won't happen.

Mach Effect drive is real though.

wormhole=! warp bubble

>Mach effect drive
whatafug

>all of them, save for wormholes, violate what we know of physics
>Warp drive isn't actually FTL.

Sorry, but this user is right:

>any FTL is time travel, even moving space and wormholes:

To be more precise, ANY means of getting where you're going faster than light itself could results in a situation where, in some frame of reference, you arrive at your destination BEFORE you leave your point of origin.
As long as you can do this in both directions, you can get back to where you started before you leave in the first place.

Now, MAYBE that's how reality works, and we've just never noticed because we've never played with FTL....
But it seems more likely that FTL is just a no-go.

Why is this always the image of an alcubierre drive ship?
We don't know what an alcubierre warp drive would look like. Why always use this image?

>Why always use this image?
Because Google

>exotic matter
They're talking about hypothetical material which isn't known to exist right?

Yes, but it may be possible to use the Casimir effect instead to achieve the "negative mass" requirement.

Explain please

Not who your replying to but
kamenrider.wikia.com/wiki/Mach_Driver_Honoh

Only thing I could find on a google search, probably not what they meant though

I've seen other threads use different images so its not always this one, I guess this one is being used by either the same person making the same thread over and over or other, separate people liking and reusing the image again and again

They have produced exotic matter, I think its like anti-matter, in that it is a difficult, exacting process and very expensive to produce.

B/c it resembles the Enterprise.

There's some weird guy who claims you don't need exotic matter to build a warp drive and that they occur naturally in some rare situations due to specific type of electromagnetic interactions in thunderstorms, and that he's working on a paper and has a functional set-up of one that can produce easily measurable, multi-Newton thrust. He's more or less painted himself into a corner given what he's said, since the lack of a demo video is pretty telling, but I still follow his work because hey, who doesn't love to watch people messing around in fringe projects?

The actual device looks kind of cool in a ramshackle way.

And do you know what that guys name is so others than web search/look it up?

Or is this a friend of a friend sort of deal?

Antimatter (very small amounts) is formed in thunderstorms. Antimatter is not the same as Exotic matter.

>anti-matter is formed in thunderstorms.
Do you have a source for that?
Not calling you a liar just seems it might be interesting to read what your got that from

Oh sorry i thought i included that. David Pares is his name. Here's his website.

www.spacewarpdynamicsllc.com/

No argument here m8, I think he's a crank but he's a harmless one that isn't trying to sell people anything.

science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2011/11jan_antimatter

Is it possible that the reaction of anti-matter and matter could produce a transient effect that in some way replicates negative mass in a way similar to how the Casimir effect seems to create it by the effect of those conditions on virtual particles?

there exists a clever way to have FTL without any time paradoxes, however it requires a small modification of relativity (FTL just cannot be done if relativity holds, period)

the simplest such modification is ditching the basic assumption of relativity that all frames are equal and instead postulating that the FTL drive works with respect to a preferred frame only

CMB rest frame is a natural choice for this frame

only the FTL drive needs to work with respect to this frame, the rest of physics can work normally

of course this is all complete sci-fi, there is no evidence any of this exists in real life

however if you want to imagine how a FTL drive could work while trying to respect known physics as much as possible, this is the way to go about it

forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=74530

>David Pares
Thank you user

>ask for source and is given it without complaint or a snide remark
Thank you user

>opinions on something you don't have any information on
Its a nice idea i guess

Could there be something to the idea that warp drives could work,but if you tried to do anything that involved time fuckery it would create feedback energy effects that annihilated you?

I think Hawkings suggested that, that the build up of energy would destroy you before you had a chance to interact/mess around with history - alternatively it would just cause a split into an alternate timeline branch

We need a well-developed theory of Quantum Gravity to actually determine whether warp drive is possible.

Trespassing the speed of light is impossible.
If it is possible, sometime in the future we will have figured out how to do that. Then we will trespass the speed of light, and start going back in time. If that happens, then how are we still here?

It saddens me that it's almost certainly impossible. But there's lots of amazing things to see and do even just in this solar system we inhabit. Plenty of time and space to grow and ponder these questions.

I think you need to lay off the weed op.

>Trespassing
>By-passing

Because fucking with history either splits timelines where we'd never no or annihilates you. It's possible that FTL is possible but the only organizations powerful enough to alter history also know it would just destroy them so they don't.

It isn't just about killing Hitler dude. If you were to travel back in time to say 20 years ago and live like a perfectly normal individual while trying your best not to fuck up history, you'd still change the entire Universe. Quantum fluctuations from this time traveling you would cause the death of stars on the other side of the Universe, and also possibly change a lot of things about Earth without you even noticing. For example, let's say you go back in time, and you go to Mc Donald's on a day that you didn't originally. Just by doing that you are completely changing the entire life of everyone at McDonalds at that moment, and all other people who you indirectly affected by buying a Quarter Pounder.

If we figure out FTL, then whatever solution we come up with will pretty much be cheat codes to the universe. We might as well violate conservation of energy while we're at it. It's just completely fucking bonkers compared to what we know about reality.

>Because fucking with history either splits timelines where we'd never no or annihilates you.
>If you were to travel back in time to say 20 years ago and live like a perfectly normal individual while trying your best not to fuck up history, you'd still change the entire Universe.
Look up the Novikov self-consistency principle principle. It's a model of timetravel without that kind of thing.