Reversing brain damage/concussion:

Will this ever be possible? Will we ever be able to, for example, let some MMA fighters bludegeon each other half to death and then just administer them a pill after that restores their cognitive function? If somebody came up to you and said that it was their life goal to solve this problem, what subjects would you encourage them to learn? Neuroscience, biology, medicine?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_players_with_chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dementia_pugilistica
youtube.com/watch?v=0JCr6EfleG8
pathguy.com/boxing.htm
bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-37714830
youtube.com/watch?v=T3AhVytQAyc
pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/new-87-deceased-nfl-players-test-positive-for-brain-disease/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>short circuit, wat do

Some nootropics, while waaaay oversold as "brain boosters", have some research backing to suggest they can have neuroregenerative effects. There's no research that I'm aware of that says whether they're effective in the acute stage of a brain injury, or if they can rehabilitate someone in a chronic phase.

Anyone in a neuroscience program, or anyone who wants to be a research MD has some opportunities for some good studies.

I read in one study that highly potent (I think potent was the word) multivitamins helped improve cognitive function in American football players.

Yea, stop playing stupid bread and circus shit where you bang heads while wearing spandex and chase an inflatable pigs bladder.

Well, I am OP, and my main problem is boxing. I am torn on whether to do it or not. On the one hand I know that getting hit in the head repeatedly is probably the stupidest thing you can do however on the other hand there is a male pride aspect to it. What if I get into a physical altercation and don't know how to defend myself? I'm the type of guy who likes to have every base covered in my life even if it is just one fight that I have in my life.

I'm not an expert, but my father is an old coach, and later a league administrator. He has had to deal with staff doctors, and trainers for his whole career. I asked him about boxing a while back because I was worried that it was unsafe. He explained that there was a shift in bachelor's programs since the 90's, and Gen X and millennial trainers where being taught that boxing was the devil. However, the origins o that shift seemed to be socio-political, rather than scientific, and coincidentally(?) coincided with the rise of women in the profession.

To be clear, we're talking about amateur, and defensive boxing, not prize fighting, and world championship stuff. Anyway, the point was that if you're sparring a few times a week with head padding, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. If you're doing amateur matches that are primarily points-based, and not decided by KO's, you're fine.

What country you live in? If American just buy a gun and get a concealed carry license. No need to resort to violence and get fucked up, just point the gun at what ever retard is messing with you and tell him to fuck off. Any other country I lack advice. Also the "male pride" aspect is way overblown. for fighting sports. Like any sports the audience to these things are repressed homosexuals. You will never see an "intellectual" partake in any sports because they are bread and circus, aimed to distract the masses from the problems of society. The most "blue pilled" board on this site is /sp/.

An btw. Don't take my word for it. Send some emails to a few MDs in your area and ask their opinion if you want a statement with the iron in the glove.

>You will never see an "intellectual" partake in any sports because they are bread and circus, aimed to distract the masses from the problems of society. The most "blue pilled" board on this site is /sp/.

There is a difference between playing sports and watching sports. Also, even if you don't believe in maintaining basic physical capacity, and prefer to rely on firearms entirely, that still requires a fairly regular routine of practice. Range time can certainly be fun, but when you do it as a training routine to maintain proficiency, which you SHOULD do if you are going to CCW, and want to be safe and effective (that's the point, right?), it can be boring after a while. Often shooters opt to join some competitions to spice things up a bit, and reduce the drudgery of training. You could argue that's bread and circus too, but again, I say there's a fundamental difference between sitting on a couch every Sunday and watching sportsball, and actually going out of the house, and doing to physical activity with other people, and enjoying some friendly, fun, competition.

I meant watching not playing.

To add the "sports"/activities that are more or less "acceptable" to do on your own would be lifting, running/jogging, swimming, biking, golf (more so because it more of a "thought" sport) and fishing/hunting. Playing football is just pure retarded since you are risking injury just to carry a rubber bladder.

Basically I think WATCHING sports is retarded but I am also a firm believer in "Mens sana in corpore sano".

What's retarted about watching sports?

>what subjects would you encourage them to learn?

Theology

>Well, I am OP, and my main problem is boxing. I am torn on whether to do it or not.
Holy fuck don't do it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_players_with_chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy

youtube.com/watch?v=0JCr6EfleG8

I worked with an amateur boxer back when I was a cook. Guy wasn't much older than 25, and already spoke with a permanent slur. And was easily the craziest person I ever worked with, over my entire ten year career. Talked to people who weren't there, took his shirt off in inappropriate situations (like at work), got into fights at least once every couple of weeks. I don't know how much of that was from CTE and how much was from his fucked up childhood, but... working with him made me question whether boxing should even be legal.

No. The human CNS is biased towards density and certain predefined expansion, not repairability. Repair for the brain is generally learning to do the same task a different way, or using less.

We'll only get better at using existing tools to lessen the chemical damage that follows mechanical trauma. eg with compounds like phenibut, carvacrol, compounds in wormwood, and magnolia bark. There are numerous reasons for why calcium channel blockers and free radical scavengers improve neuronal survival rates following trauma or hypoxia, and the best we can hope for is learning how to not be retarded and use them properly. Even with genetic engineering or micromachines, it may not be mechanically possible to correctly and intelligently reverse certain types of damage to an earlier state.

We also need to get better at using things that already exist in nature. eg, look up treatment outcome differences between mucuna pruriens and only L-DOPA, in Parkinsons. Well gosh golly would'ja look at that,the L-DOPA doesn't undergo autoxidation, form reactive quinones, or otherwise spur the generation of ROS and NOS when it comes with anti-oxidants, like gluthionine. By the gee golly jimminy cricket ain't that a gosh darn surprise. Shucks!

Did he talk about psychic vampires?

Boxing for 3.5 years, graduating with a 4.0 GPA in master nanomaterials.
There is no study that can show ANY statistically significant brain damage for amatuer boxers.
Source: pathguy.com/boxing.htm

To be fair, I don't compete and sparring intensity differs from gym to gym. But the fact that there is NO observable effect for amateur fighters with 200+ fights and an average boxer is telling. In no way is boxing worse than drinking alcohol.

Average citizen vs amateur boxer ofc

I never heard it but I wouldn't put it past him. I will say that he had an alter ego named Mario who came out when he got angry. So when things got intense at work he'd start shouting "MARIO GO DOWNSTAIRS".

>There was a significantly higher incidence of slight or moderate electroencephalography deviations among the boxers. Neuropsychologically, the boxers had an inferior finger-tapping performance. Thus, no signs of serious chronic brain damage were found among any of the groups studied. However, the electroencephalography and finger-tapping differences between the groups might indicate slight brain dysfunction in some of the amateur boxers.

You're still getting smacked around for fun. Ain't no way that's good for you.

>In no way is boxing worse than drinking alcohol.
AHAHAHAHAH
>Symptoms and signs of DP develop progressively over a long latent period sometimes amounting to decades, with the average time of onset being about 12 to 16 years after the start of a career in boxing.
Amateur or professional boxer who gives a fuck.
Keep getting hit in the head moron and let's see how do you feel twenty years from now.
You can't diagnose CTE prior to death, but even hitting a soccer ball with your head is detrimental to memory.
>Researchers said they had identified "small but significant changes in brain function" after players headed the ball 20 times.
>Memory performance was reduced by between 41% and 67% in the 24 hours after routine heading practice.
>One of the study's authors suggested football should be avoided ahead of important events like exams.
bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-37714830

This thread has gotten way off track so I'm going to respond to the original post.

is mostly right, most neuroregenerative medicine currently is based entirely on preventing excess damage after the primary mechanical damage is done.

See with a head injury, it will first start off with a mechanical injury like a hit to the head or a ruptured blood vessel and brain tissue around the immediate area will be damaged and this damage is currently mostly untreatable. But the damage can spread from this area to to the healthy cells via either free radicals from the destroyed cells or from good ole neural cascades which is basically the neurotransmitters from the destroyed cells spread and over stimulate other neurons until these healthy neurons die and their now free neurotransmitters continue the process leading to said cascade of neuronal death.

There is also the issue of surrounding neurons dieing from lack of stimulation from the now killed neurons leading to those otherwise healthy functional neurons being pruned due to lack of stimulation. It's in this list of excess damage that functional neurology and neurosurgery are currently looking into how they can reduce these damages using various means.

I know UCLA is looking into using ketones and other antioxidatives to reduce the free radical problem for instance. There's even been big success in rat models from making the rats fast for 24 hours after a concussion and the ketones they naturally produced spared a significant amount of brain tissue. There's honestly many compounds than in vitro are found to help in these other regards including the famous "jellyfish protein" prevagen. But almost all of these require direct application ie brain surgery so they have to show they help enough to warrant such a high risk surgery.

I have a lot more I want to say but my post is too long. I'll say more if anyone shows interest.

I'm not him nor am I really arguing from his side but your post seems like it's implying things I do have issue with. First off, CTE is a specific and currently mostly unknown disorder but without a doubt it is not synonymous with "brain damage" like many people seem to be using it.

>I'm looking at that stupid idiot from "Adam Misrepresents Everything"

Second, short term effects of concussion are well documented however, that does not mean there will be long term effects of the same accord. So while heading the ball may reduce memory temporarily, finding more permanent brain damage like that user is talking about is a completely different subject.

>First off, CTE is a specific and currently mostly unknown disorder but without a doubt it is not synonymous with "brain damage" like many people seem to be using it.
I think about CTE as the long term effects of repeated blows to the head.
>The condition is thought to affect around 15% to 20% of professional boxers.[citation needed]
From what I've read you can only diagnose CTE with certainty after a person is dead.
Now, I guess a lot more people boxers suffer from CTE-like damage.
Not everyone has his brain sliced off and not everyone manifests the symptoms with the same severity.
>In September 2015, researchers with the Department of Veterans Affairs and Boston University announced that they had identified CTE in 96 percent of NFL players that they had examined and in 79 percent of all football players.[59]
>Second, short term effects of concussion are well documented however, that does not mean there will be long term effects of the same accord. So while heading the ball may reduce memory temporarily, finding more permanent brain damage like that user is talking about is a completely different subject.
youtube.com/watch?v=T3AhVytQAyc
Honestly, who cares if there's not a definitive answer to this at the moment?
There's enough evident to make the right choice though.

If you value your long term use of your brain, don't box. The fact that you're even considering it shows your brainlet status. In no way can receptive sub-concussive damage to the brain be completely void of long term effects.

>I think about CTE as the long term effects of repeated blows to the head.

But that's the problem, it's not and that kind of thought is leading to this shifty science they everyone is misquoting. It's akin to saying Alzheimer is the long term effect of repeated blows. There is correlation studies between one making the other more likely but that does not mean it is the natural progression of that state.

Case in point the NFL study you mentioned. What no one talks about is that the study ONLY used the brains of those who had sever symptoms CTE before hand. It was not a random case study of NFL players whatsoever. It's akin to me doing a study on lemon usage and lung cancer and only choosing people for my study who used lemons their whole life and had symptoms of lung cancer then being surprised that the lemon eaters had lung cancer.

Also
>The condition is thought to affect around 15% to 20% of professional boxers.[citation needed]
>[citation needed]
>[citation fucking needed]

More traditional studies on the disorder find much lower numbers and even still the fact that the symptoms of CTE is all post hoc means we are completely in the blind about what the disorder actually causes.

It's a very tricky and unknown disorder and every time I hear someone say that heading a soccer ball or doing a soft tackle during just middle school and high school will give you CTE I want to physically hurt someone. Is it possible? Yes, but do we have any good evidence that it does? No, not at all.

Only Aussie cunts, British poms, and Mexican cholos care about boxing.

I can think of a way.

Boxing is mainly composed of small repeated brain damage over a long period of time. Small repeated neural damage is much less damaging than one large damage as the small injuries have a greater number of surrounding neurons to stimulate reconnections with each other preventing neural Darwinism and nearby neurons tend to be better able to take over functions from dead neurons than a much longer reconnection in which the neuronal environment is different. So function is restored and symptoms only last a few weeks to a few months after which the brain is able to compensate and the person experience no long term cognitive deficiencies.

Now see what I said was technically correct but we have no way with knowing if that would actually work without real research on the area. But if were just going to spout random shit with nothing to back it up like you then hey it works good enough for me.

>But that's the problem, [...]
I understand what you're saying. You make a good point.
>Case in point the NFL study you mentioned. [...]
You're right, the article cited states it:
>As such, many of the players who have donated their brains for testing suspected that they had the disease while still alive, leaving researchers with a skewed population to work with.

once you physically damage your brain no pill will ever fix it.

contact sports are for retards

>Small repeated neural damage is much less damaging than one large damage
This is a tricky statement since it should depend on what is meant by small, large and how many times the damages is repeated.
This article states the following:
>Forty percent of those who tested positive were the offensive and defensive linemen who come into contact with one another on every play of a game, according to numbers shared by the brain bank with FRONTLINE.
>That finding supports past research suggesting that it’s the repeat, more minor head trauma that occurs regularly in football that may pose the greatest risk to players, as opposed to just the sometimes violent collisions that cause concussions.
pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/new-87-deceased-nfl-players-test-positive-for-brain-disease/

In that case I apologize, I assumed things based on my past arguments with people.

Absolutely, what I was saying was honestly just a quick little ramble against the user as I don't like when an entire field of research is just boiled down to simple "common sense" statements. There are just so many factors and unknowns.

But in reality I would argue the difference in damage between hits in a contact sport will not be great enough to severely affect the factors I mentioned in that post. In that, a very hard tackle versus a straight off the line tackle will still be causing around the same damage and one will not be the difference between successful reconnections. If it was a hard tackle versus a horrible car wreck then yes the factors I mentioned would come hugely into play. Instead total amounts of hits will probably be a much better predictor of total damage.

true

>What if I get into a physical altercation and don't know how to defend myself? I'm the type of guy who likes to have every base covered in my life even if it is just one fight that I have in my life.

i carry a 9mm