Is Beowulf by Tolkien worth reading?

Is Beowulf by Tolkien worth reading?

Literal translation in prose. Read it and compare it to the other guys' translations. It's worth giving a try because it's different.

Can you explain literal translation in prose? I've heard people talk about this before...what is it? Is it rewriting something to make it easier for modern people to understand?

... what, the, fuck? Don't you understand what the words 'literal' and 'translation' mean?

not meant for publication
cristopherian cashgrab

Gj explaining to him lad u r clearly extremely intelligent. bravo

I just meant expand on it honestly...I don't really read that much and only got into it recently.

It means it's a translation that tries to capture exactly what the original means in all possible aspects of the choice of words. It's not trying to be artificially poetic, by using heavy alliteration.

Oh...well I had a hard time reading Paradise Lost and Goethe. Is it possible that a prose exists for those with more cohesive dialogue?

I don't understand what you mean, if you want an easy version of Beowulf to sit and read then Tolkien's should be just fine.

Tolkien is a meme.

Everything is over-written shit except for the Hobbit, which was intended for children.

>not just learning Old English

Why is the photo of Norval Marley entitled "Tolkien 1916"?

I meant to say that he wrote in prose not in verse and that he attempted to get the meaning across instead of making it poetic.

It still sounds powerful at times nonetheless.

And the book comes with a lot of explanatory notes and comments. I forgot to mention that. There's also a story he wrote in Anglo-Saxon included titled 'Sellic Spell.' Say what you will about hmu, but he was a master of Old English.

>Doesn't appreciate the clever interweaving of mythologies in The Silmarilion.

>farmer giles of ham
>overwritten
did an english philologist rape you as a child or something

>I can't disagree with someone like an adult.

>I use periods in greentexts
truly the mark of a newfag

Eat my shit, cocksucker.

Epic discussion, my friends. Pun intended.

Lol, look at the triggered babies.

>caring about punctuation on Veeky Forums
>trying this hard to fit in with the cool kids
How is your second week here?

Don't read Tolkien just because you liked The Lord of the Rings. His version is mostly a curiosity. Read the Seamus Heaney version first, and Tolkien after, if you like.

Why the Heaney version? It's not very accurate.

>tells people to be mature on Veeky Forums
>lel u triggered baby???
>being this new

>triggered
>you have replied to my post look how stupid you are
Shouldn't you be epic trolling on 9gag?

It's not accurate but it has a good balance of maintaining the essence of the original while maintaining rhythm and meter.

>Assumes two related posts were written by the same person
Hi newfag, how'd you like Veeky Forums?

>everyone is a stupid newfag

>Taking things this seriously.
Oh user.

>newfags damage controlling this hard

>I was only pretending to be retarded
Thanks for playing.

>kym filename
>using a dead facebook meme

>using a dead facebook meme
God, I thought you were just being contrarian, but you really are a fucking newfag.

>kym filename
I don't feel the need to pretend to be an oldfag, user. Real oldfags don't feel the need to prove it.

Tolkien is still considered an extremely important philologist, despite being a meme. That makes a translation of a text, which he happened to be an expert on, a viable translation.
I wonder how long it would take to read Old English at a competent level. I began learning German late last year and am nowhere close to even being able to read it, but surely learning Old English after that shouldn't take too long,

Your inability to appreciate or understand a work/style is not the same thing as the style being bad. Anyone with a shred of understanding of the literary modes Tolkien emulates and brilliantly molds knows him to be a fantastic writer, one who manages to be both classical and novel. Most people however share your ignorant opinion, and as such I ask, since it is in fact so common an opinion, that you try and find it less necessarily to volunteer.

nice trips

>I can't argue for my opinions

REAL oldfags can type the memorized hexcode for memepics faster than the time it takes too find them through google