Best mathematician alive

>Best mathematician alive.
>Chad with hot wife and two kids.
>Superhuman genes: 41 yo but looks like in his 20s.
Still hasn't solved any Millenial Problems therefore his name will be lost in spaghetti unlike Wiles or Perelmeme.
What gives?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldbach's_conjecture
youtube.com/watch?v=MXJ-zpJeY3E
arxiv.org/abs/1107.5728
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_Tao
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

serious scholars don't give a fuck about fame, rather the severity of their work and the impact that'll do to their respective fields.

But he's working on Navier-Stokes.
He has worked as well on Goldbach proving that:
>Terence Tao proved that all odd numbers are at most the sum of five primes.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldbach's_conjecture

Mathematics is reaching its limits, and the stress is showing in mathematicians around the planet. We should count Tao a success in that he's found bliss in working on extremely difficult problems with only incremental gains instead of becoming the next Unabomber out of sheer cynicism, jealousy, or rage.

>Still hasn't solved any Millennial Problems

What makes him the best then?

>Mathematics is reaching its limits, and the stress is showing in mathematicians around the planet.
Sure.
He'll brake down when the next wild memetician will give an answer to Goldbach or Navier-Stokes.

>hot wife

>What makes him the best then?
youtube.com/watch?v=MXJ-zpJeY3E
I don't know that's something I've read often.

Oh well if it was in a numberphile video it must be true.

Honestly, if you actually take pop maths videos seriously you are a brainlet of the highest order. Terrence Tao is undisputably a genius, but is he the greatest living mathematician? I doubt it.

>Terrence Tao is undisputably a genius, but is he the greatest living mathematician? I doubt it.
Who's the best out there then?

Let's see him solve the Riemann hypothesis, then I might be impressed.

I don't think one can really say there is someone you could truly say is "the best" at something like math, since everyone has the potential to understand everything there is to know.

How do you define best? Most influential? Solved the hardest problem? Most intelligent? Each of those definitions would give a different answer.

>Who's the best out there then?
Serre

Deep, smart, flexible, accomplished.
Tao knows about everything and has solved difficult problems but he lacks something popular to attach his name to.

>Tao knows about everything
No mathematician these days "knows about everything", the field is simply too big to possibly learn it all in an entire lifetime.

Cont.
Say, Grothendieck was certainly deep but he didn't know about the Gaussian integral and was shit at counting.

>he lacks something popular to attach his name to.
Green-Tao theorem?

>Terence Tao proved that all odd numbers are at most the sum of five primes.
Holy shit, this knowledge will revolutionize our world!

Physicist detected

>Green-Tao theorem?
Who knows about that honestly?
On the other hand Fermat's last theorem or Poincaré's conjecture are far more popular.
>Terence Tao is famous for proving the Green-Tao theorem.
C'mon no.

I'm convinced that the guy is actually a 21st century Bourbaki scheme. I mean the amount of output the guy puts out is just insane. He's constantly publishing ridiculously huge papers, collaborating with tons of people, running his blog, not to mention every fucking thing else in his life.

I mean either this guy has really got it all figured out and we're all struggling to live through each day in his eyes or he's actually 20 people living under the same name.

his mom

Those kids will never get out from under his shadow.

I'm not that guy but I think Tao is probably the closest mathematician to that out there.

Nope, those are his wife and kids. Look it up

Large amount of output does not correspond to large amount of value contributed.

>disputing an argument no one made
>not knowing that Tao has published a lot of valuable work
Hey everyone, get a load of this guy. He's buttblasted about reality itself.

>proof by assertion

>P is true
>>b-but P doesn't imply Q
>No one said it implied Q, but Q is also true
>>p-p-prove it

No, I don't care. Find someone else to cry about your insecurities to.

I'm only interested in how it's possible for this dude to put out so much raw content.

>I'm only interested in how it's possible for this dude to put out so much raw content.

Then why did you bother mentioning it? 20 monkeys on typewriters could write "ridiculously huge papers, collaborate with tons of people, run blogs". What's the significance?

What is the global network of social control that prevents you from praising my name?
>The network of global corporate control
>arxiv.org/abs/1107.5728

I can actually feel your insecurity through the internet.

So now you're resorting to ad hominems?

You yourself admitted that quantity does not imply quantity, so nothing beyond your assertion shows he really is the best. Yet I'm somehow insecure for doubting your logic?

You must think you're god or something.

>quantity does not imply quantity

Why are you posting this?

>arguing against an argument no one made
Why are you so threatened by someone you could never compete with?

You understood what I meant, chink cock sucker.

Why the racism? I'm not Chinese.

wow, rude

Who says I feel threatened by him?

Sycophants must be exposed for their hypocrisy.

>Who says I feel threatened by him?

that's how people look in China

>he doesn't know that uncovering the secrets of the primes is the key for the next technological revolution

i asked the question because i want to know the answer

>cushy tenured professorship at UCLA
>needing to get his name into the history books

He makes $500k a year from UCLA, solving a Millennium Prize problem is like two years' salary. Terence might actually just be an extreme version of "smart but lazy."

Why does he stay at UCLA tho? Couldnt he go to a better uni? Shit state too

Because of all the hot girls there

That guy is 41? Jesus christ.

me

maybe he can get that government pension

Obviously he used a 41 year old's social security number to get a job in America.

Tao is nowhere close to being the best living mathematician, he's a >mah boy geeuos meem. Famous among normalfag because the mainstream media likes him.

>everyone has the potential to understand everything there is to know.
lmao no

>Still hasn't solved any Millenial Problems therefore his name will be lost in spaghetti unlike Wiles or Perelmeme.
but Wiles hasn't solved one either

To be fair he's also famous among mathematicians because mathematicians are kind of meek.

He solved something much more important. The Millennium problems are a meme anyway.
Sure. I too visit his blog weekly. I was just explaining what's up with the "greatest living mathematician" meme. He's been called that by various news outlets because he's very marketable.

>The Millennium problems are a meme

Then solve one faggot

>a math problem is a meme if you can't solve it

Fuck I tagged the wrong comment. I meant to tag

there are plenty of important non-millennium problems

>The Millennium problems are a meme

A Meme that pays a $1 million prize

A Prize that was rejected by the Meme Hobo Meth User called Grigori Perelman.

>there are plenty of important non-millennium problems
So how does that make the Millennium problems a meme?

A Hobo Solved the Poincaré conjecture

t. Grigori Perelman

>Ph.D. in Math >any job I want >$300k starting

>Millennium problems >the fame you want >$1 million prize

Stop posting without references.
It doesn't make you look cool, it makes you look like an attention seeking idiot.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_Tao

The Millennium problems are a meme because every non-expert cares about them because of the prize attached, which is paltry, by the way. Of course Veeky Forums and the retarded nigger gorillaposter would fawn over this shit.

Veeky Forums is full of brainlets who don't know anything about anything.

>every non-expert cares about them because of the prize attached
sounds like projection (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection)

>paltry
subjective

>nigger
Why the racism?

>Terence might actually just be an extreme version of "smart but lazy."
So if you aren't working on Millennium prize problems you're lazy? Come on.

>people are replying to this seriously

you realize that making breakthroughs happen because of how much work you put into analyzing notions right? talk to researchers in various fields and bring up your work. that is how progress is made. that's how people are remembered.

it doesn't matter how good you look, how smart you are, it's about what kind of connection you make with people around you. more than just a leader, but being a tether for what would be the relationship which motivated people to solving problems with you and your contributions. that defines a revolution. the age of isolated solvers is gone with the advent of the internet.

you should exploit that instead of reveling in the notions of legends in the advent of their own peak.

Your ignorance of the sudden and intricate applications of Mathematics in our technology and science is blatant. Such a thing has present implications though no immediate, wide-reaching application. However, in a century or two it is liable to be a component of a key to some great technology or discovery. Like we see so often. Remember computers and their abstractions were just Pure Mathematics, not so long ago.

Never disparage the development of something like Mathematics.

>the age of isolated solvers is gone with the advent of the internet.
This has to be the brainlet statement of the year.

Riemann hypothesis is false due to the gradient in the region beyond countable infinity. Pic kind of related.

Grothendieck gave birth to whole new branch of mathematics that has quickly found applications all over the place, not just in math. He brought revolution, something that can only be said about handful of mathematicians. And Tao isn't among them. There are plenty of prodigies that end up doing "mundane" research instead of revolutionary discoveries. Look at Erik Demaine. All of these people are insane at problem solving, but lack something that people like Grothendieck had.

>Chad with hot wife and two kids
Yeah even though he could barely talk till a few years from all that stutter

So? Maybe you just underestimated hobos?

Stop spamming your bullshit moron.

t. brainlet

Few other unis care that much about their math department that they'd drop dean-level money on a mathematician.
>Shit state too
Only if you're poor.

I don't understand the control mechanism that results in this kind of response to my contributions to physics and mathematics that are unparalleled over the last few generational cycles, and will hopefully last for very many more such cycles.

How can I be projecting when I don't even care about the Millennium problems? You know what I think? I think I hit the nail on the head, and you don't like it, Mr. Nig Nog.

You have literally no idea what you're talking about. Mathematics has the lowest number of contributors per article among all the sciences.

>How can I be projecting when I don't even care about the Millennium problems?
Well I guess it's not projection then.

>You know what I think?
I do.

>I think I hit the nail on the head, and you don't like it, Mr. Nig Nog.
Not quite, or at least I still don't see the reason why the opinions of non-experts determine the meme status of a problem.

>opinions of non-experts determine the meme status of a problem.
>tfw Helene is the physics decider

Who is Helene?

I think its my mother whom I feel is dedicated to my non-success.
>tfw your parents' likenesses are in the 9/11 mural you walk by on the way the the homeless shelter

Why isn't he a billionaire?

Probably some eccentric autist who lives in a basement and can't make eye contact.

If you put ALL your stat points to math, you have literally 0 left for social contact, so this guy will probably aboid the public and being famous like the plague.

>mathematicians are successful if they don't become serial killers

>Mathematics is reaching its limits

Human limits. Of course, there are still a lot of mathematics to be discovered but they are completely untouchable by most (soon, all) human minds.

I bet u talk like that with your friends and they hate u for it and call u a know-it-all when really the proper term is PSEUD

The real question is how a 41 years old looks like in his 20s

while keeping both a huge mental power & very good physical health.

How He does that? A Super Healthy Nutrition?Genes? A Consequence of High IQ? What's the reason?

>Mathematics is reaching its limits
>bcoz I know what are its limits
L0Lno fgt pls

>Of course, there are still a lot of mathematics to be discovered but they are completely untouchable by most (soon, all) human minds.
You could say the same thing for computers (in theory, you could rebuild the computer you're using to post on Veeky Forums using nothing but NAND gates, but is there even anyone who is actually capable of doing so?) and that hasn't stopped CS research from trickling to a halt.
If anything, it's accelerating.

>If you put ALL your stat points to math, you have literally 0 left for social contact

>If anything, it's accelerating.
This is not true at all. The only reason research continues apace is much higher population. In per capita terms output has been decreasing in almost all fields post 1950 or so.

why do people harass him like this? he just wants to be left alone.

Is he a poo or a chink?