What are some books that have an oppressive sense of gloom or melancholy in atmosphere/tone/theme?

What are some books that have an oppressive sense of gloom or melancholy in atmosphere/tone/theme?

Pic not necessarily related, though I personally find it a bit depressing

I guess I should've expected this

my diary desu

goddamn it

a-at least he had friends...

fukin normie

The Trial by Kafka. Ghost Machine by Ben Mirov. Some DFW short stories-maybe The Pale King too, but I can't speak to that.

Thank you user

Can't comment on the gloom and depression, but I've been to the ruins in your pic related. Funnily enough, it's the complete opposite of gloom and depression - it's in the middle of a functioning monk abbey, which makes pretty good beer.

Another...

Catcher in the Rye
The Bell Jar
Both Of Mice and Men, and Grapes of Wrath
Great Gatsby
Most of Hemingway
A lot of McCarthy
Hamlet and Macbeth
Most of LeCarre
And I think this is more of a personal opinion, but I find most of Raymond Chandler's works to be fairly melancholy

>Catcher in the Rye
>Great Gatsby
As if.

the buried giant

The Border Trilogy is pure oppressive gloom and melancholy. Outer Dark too.

C&P made me conclude that there is no place more depressing than 19th Century St. Petersburg

Rings of Saturn

Bunch of Dazai works probably fits this bill. Specifically, try Schoolgirl (short story), and No Longer Human (novel).

Wuthering Heights
Hamlet
Great Expectations

Beckett, krasznahorkai (sp?), kafka,

MY

DIARY

Crime and punishment
Almost every kafka book

the castle of otranto

novels by Julien Gracq, really. I only read "Au château d'Argol", that's exactly what I felt, apart from the writing being as good as that of any literature grand master.

The Road

"When he woke in the woods in the dark and the cold of the night he'd reach out to touch the child sleeping beside him. Nights dark beyond darkness and the days more gray each one than what had gone before. Like the onset of some cold glaucoma dimming away the world. His hand rose and fell softly with each precious breath. He pushed away the plastic tarpaulin and raised himself in the stinking robes and blankets and looked toward the east for any light but there was none."

Men in Prison by Victor Serge. It is a raw as fuck account of prison during the first world war.

Journey to the end of the night
The trial
The bell jar
The third policeman
The road, blood meridian, child of god, probably anything else McCarthy
Invitation to a beheading
The fall (kind of)
The lime twig (very much so), I've heard other John Hawkes stuff is similar

That prose gave me a fucking boner.