Who is America's foremost prose stylist?

Who is America's foremost prose stylist?

Other urls found in this thread:

poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/poems/detail/32568
nytimes.com/books/98/11/01/specials/gass-prizes.html)
harpers.org/archive/1984/02/and/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

sup

probably gass. but honestly i don't know why we are so obsessed with prose style. i wouldn't put gass in the top 5 best american writers of prose fictions even though he's probably way ahead as a stylist

J K Rowling.

note: do not reply to this post with the terribly unfunny jest that you are "rowling" on the floor laughing at my response. (It is the truth).

>so obsessed with prose style
Why do people hang pretty pictures in their home, care about fung shei or ambiance, candle aroma, butter scotch candies and apple pie, cantaloupe for goodness sake, perfume, jelwery, the mineral baths, champagne, the carnival, the sirloin steak with vegetables corn, mashed potatoes, gravy bacon,

the medows, the fair maidens in field, white dress, thank goodness, and no flowers in her hair

the rivers golden sheen, a rootbeer float,
a beach party, arriving on the scene
catching waves, getting gnarly,
lovely dancing, touching things in the dark
sometimes poetry is hard

I think Pynchon is about equal with Gass, they're both up there with Joyce and Nabokov as far as prose goes imo

From Against the Day:
>Planted rows went turning past like giant spokes one by one as they ranged the roads. The skies were interrupted by dark gray storm clouds with a flow like molten stone, swept and liquid, and light that found its way through them was lost in the dark fields but gathered shining along the pale road, so that sometimes all you could see was the road, and the horizon it ran to. Sometimes she was overwhelmed by the green life passing in such high turbulence, too much to see, all clamoring to have its way. Leaves sawtooth, spade-shaped, long and thin, blunt-fingered, downy and veined, oiled and dusty with the day—flowers in bells and clusters, purple and white or yellow as butter, star-shaped ferns in the wet and dark places, millions of green veilings before the bridal secrets in the moss and under the deadfalls, went on by the wheels creaking and struck by rocks in the ruts, sparks visible only in what shadow it might pass over, a busy development of small trailside shapes tumbling in what had to be deliberately arranged precision, herbs the wildcrafters knew the names and market prices of and which the silent women up in the foothills, counterparts whom they most often never got even to meet, knew the magic uses for. They lived for different futures, but they were each other’s unrecognized halves, and what fascination between them did come to pass was lit up, beyond question, with grace.

Wow yea, thats quite some ride, of up and down inflections, rhythm, rhyme, content, flow, imagery, really interesting example. Has the ability to give multiple interesting feelings. So much texture in the words, when I finished that paragraph and after thinking and talking about it, and not entirely grasping everything I read but know it was some intriguing stuff, I now, though I knew right when I finished it, I wanted to read again.

I think its definitely Faulkner. There's something about it, that just clicks with me.

Can someone who has read William Gaddis tell, how he fares against the top tiers? What are his pros and cons?

I like this poem, its quite quite long, but quite quite good

poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/poems/detail/32568

Tao Lin

Walt Whitman

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thomas Jefferson

Tesla

Franklin

Pynchon

Foster Wallace

Ayn Rand

Underground shit

Exclusive Zines

Albert Pike

Every Science Text

Me desu.

n o y c e

mcelroy no contest

>i don't know why we are so obsessed with prose style
theres nothing else to speak of, friendo

Is Gass actually a good prose stylist or is this the biggest meme going? The only thing I've read by him is this article (nytimes.com/books/98/11/01/specials/gass-prizes.html) and his prose comes across as very stunted and laboured, certainly nothing special. So what's the deal?

Idk why everyone is so surprised by Pynchon's style and why he's never mentioned as a great stylist on Veeky Forums.

Is it that ... no one reads him?

lmao

>everyone

American literature is shit anyway who the fuck cares

Try reading some other essays. There's one I like that was published in Harper's -- harpers.org/archive/1984/02/and/

I think so. I'm betting most people on Veeky Forums just know him as le wacky banana man because of GR. Hell I was surprised myself when I first read V. and it fucking beautiful.

I second this

What does prose stylist mean?

This. Hardly anyone here wants to speak about poetry but everyone wants to talk about the rich prose of Pinecone or whatever

Do you happen to have a PDF link for that? I'm not subscribed to Harper's and it's impossible to Google the essay when it's called And.

>The skies were interrupted by dark gray storm clouds

Interspersed, surely.

The Tunnel is 650 pages of senseless prose wank. The Gass man has this on lock.

Gass is garbage, and his prose is purple pseud nonsense.

Btw, I choose Nabokov or Marylinne Robinson.

This is gay. Pales in comparison to the passage in GR describing Christmas in wartime.

I just flipped to a random page from what I've read so far (only about 400 pages in) and typed out a paragraph. He's got loads more.

because people can't even acknowledge that free verse is poetry
how do you talk to dummys like that?

*Marilynne

>dummys

Faulkner

>Hardly anyone here wants to speak about poetry but everyone wants to talk about the rich prose

Because prose is "poetry" in ""novel" "narritive"" "Form"

This poet named Van

Heiko Julian

Sam Pink

Steve Roggenbuck

This one guy I cant remember the name of, actually a few of those to be quite honest famalama ding dong

Blake Butler

Don't feel like starting a separate thread for this question so I'll post it here.
I've read Crying of Lot 49 and Gravity's Rainbow, where should I go from there?

At least Faulkner has more going for him than just style.

first time i see based Roggenbuck named in this shit hole. fuck. i love him.

I hate Gass and his incessant alliterations.

I harbor a hatred for frumpy gaseous Gass, and his incoherent, incessant, affinity with alliteration.

And the similes.

For fuck sake the similes.

>alliterating the same vowel

better than your trash country #MAGA

literally anywhere. mason & GOATson perhaps

Melville