/math/ general - Archimedean solids edition

>what are you studying?
>interesting problems, theorems, proofs, textbooks, papers?

An armistice in the great animeposting debate has been formally established.

Other urls found in this thread:

math.stackexchange.com/questions/2058905/limit-of-complex-line-integral-over-a-uniformly-convergent-sequence-of-curves
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>An armistice in the great animeposting debate has been formally established.

The avatarfags killed themselves?

how do i get good at math? i barely passed any of my math classes in high school and that was ten years ago

Platonic solids > Archimedean solids.

Their imperfections and more subtle symmetries are what make the archimedean solids beautiful

Exercise time:

Let [math] I [/math] be an ideal in a ring [math] R [/math] and let [math] M [/math] be a module over [math] R [/math].
Then [math] {\textstyle M}\diagup_{IM} \simeq M\ {\otimes}_R\ R\diagup_{I} [/math].

No.

do yr own homework brainlet

This is [math] your [/math] homework buddy. I finished my PhD last year. I only correct homework now.

You've done a PhD and can't offer anything more interesting than what looks like babby's first exercise out of atiyah macdonald?

I offer exercises appropriate for the level of this general. Every time I posted more difficult exercises in the past they went by unsolved (unless I posted the solution myself)., so...

>. Every time I posted more difficult exercises in the past they went by unsolved (unless I posted the solution myself)., so...
Sounds like you should be picking more interesting problems then, I'd guess there's plenty of more advanced people in /math/ than myself and I was doing problems like that 3 or 4 years ago

are you a post-doc?

Not the guy you are replying to but I like your posts. That said, I am a filthy sophomore who aspires to be a doctor. How is life as a doctor in mathematics? What do you do irl?

you do more math

>What do you do irl?
it looks like he posts anime on Veeky Forums while attempting to be condescending

I am looking at this math exchange question:
math.stackexchange.com/questions/2058905/limit-of-complex-line-integral-over-a-uniformly-convergent-sequence-of-curves

but I want to find that statement as a theorem somewhere in some book. I suppose that if it was a problem then it must be true, but the comments suggest that the problem is not being stated correctly, and then they are vague about how a proof would go. Does anyone who know complex analysis have a reference for this?

I don't necessarily want a proof, I just want a reference to the problem in some book so I can see it stated properly at least.

>it looks like he posts anime on Veeky Forums while attempting to be condescending

I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. Plus, you were the one who was condescending first by assuming he was posting homework problems.

Ok big boy: let [math] F [/math] be a field, [math] p \in F[x] [/math] irreducible, and denote [math] F_p = \frac{F[x]}{(p)} [/math]. Prove that [math] \frac{F_p}{F} [/math] is étale [math] \iff p' \neq 0 [/math].
>How is life as a doctor in mathematics?
Full of sorrow.
>What do you do irl?
Right now, "research" (i.e. I wank a lot).
>are you a post-doc?
Yeah, I have a 2 year research assistant position lined up for me starting this autumn.

>Plus, you were the one who was condescending first by assuming he was posting homework problems.
that's another poster

>Full of sorrow.
> I wank a lot
>satanic trips

What? Why is it full of sorrow?

You don't have any fun construction problems? Anything more interesting than just proving when some algebraic object satisfies some property?

>An armistice in the great animeposting debate has been formally established.
Hi guys, I'm new. What does this mean?

It means some faggots wanted to type plebbit.com but the incompetent fucks made 10 typos in a row and ended up typing Veeky Forums.org/sci and then started complaining that people were posting anime characters... despite this being fucking Veeky Forums of all places.

>It means some faggots wanted to type plebbit.com but the incompetent fucks made 10 typos in a row and ended up typing Veeky Forums.org/sci and then started complaining that people were posting anime characters... despite this being fucking Veeky Forums of all places.
you don't have to be so hostile to the newcomers, they'll warm up to anime eventually

I will be hostile to newcomers if they try to impose their cultural norms on top of ours.

We run this place. We made Veeky Forums into Veeky Forums.

When is life not full of sorrow? (It's extremely hard to get a good position anywhere that would allow you do do anything interesting. Several orders of magnitude harder than getting into a good PhD program. Come september I will have been a glorified NEET for almost a year.)
>any fun construction problems?
Can't think of any on the spot. Can't be bothered to either, because
>proving when some algebraic object satisfies some property
this is what all problems reduce to in the end.

Basically: can you prove it or not you little bitch? I'm waiting.

Sounds terrible, so let's all do our best to make Veeky Forums anime again.

>When is life not full of sorrow?
When you fill up life with things that make you happy, whether it's hobbies or other people or love etc.

>Basically: can you prove it or not you little bitch? I'm waiting.
Maybe, my point is just that it just looks like a generic algebra problem I could find 1000 others like in some textbooks if I wanted to do them, those are the kind I usually skip over

>my point is just that it just looks like a generic algebra problem I could find 1000 others like in some textbooks if I wanted to do them, those are the kind I usually skip over

If p' = 0, then p has a multiple root in [math]\bar f[/math], hence F_p is not etale over F.
If p' 0, then p and p' are coprime (indeed, p is irreducible and deg p' < deg p, hence they cannot have a common irreducible factor in F[x]), hence p splits with distinct roots in [math]\bar F[/math], hence F_p/F is etale.

You could have said separable. In that context, it makes no difference and more people are likely to have heard the term.

Different strokes for different folks I guess

>indeed

More problems:
. Let K be a finite field. Count the number of subspaces of [math]K^n[/math] of dimension k for k in {0..n}.
. Let G be a finite group such that Aut(G) acts transitively on G\{1}. Prove that G is isomorphic to (Z/pZ)^n for a certain prime p and and a certain integer n.
. Compute the integral [math]\int_0^{\infty} \dfrac{e^t - 1}{t} dt[/math] (justify every step, please, no bullshit)
. Let [math]f : \mathbb R_{\ge 0} \to \mathbb R[/math] be a surjective function. Prove that f assumes each value infinitely many times.
. Prove that the graph of the exponential function is not an algebraic set, ie. prove that there is no non-zero polynomial P such that [math]\forall x \in \mathbb R P(x, e^x) = 0[/math].

4th assertion is wrong as stated. True though if you assume the function to be continuous.

shit yeah of course it has to be continuous

Adding to the list of problems:

[math] \circ [/math] Prove the variational lemma (2huposter attempted to use something like this last thread):
for [math] u \in {L^1}_{loc}(a,b;X) [/math] where [math] -\infty \leq a < b \leq +\infty [/math], if [math] \int_{a}^{b}\phi(t)u(t)dt=0\ \ \forall \phi\in C_{o}^{\infty}(a,b)[/math] then [math] u=0\ \ (a.e.) [/math]
[math]\circ[/math] let [math] \psi , h \in C[a,b] [/math] where [math] -\infty

e^t - 1 is always greater than t if t greater than or equal to zero, by looking at e^t's taylor expasion.

the integral is not bounded.

Fuck I meant from 0 to 1 -.- It really is summer

When's the first (1st) annual /math/ meetup?

Remember when posting anime on sci used to get you banned for 'infantile cartoons'? that mod is the reason so many people here still spazz out when you post it.

>ponies
>anime

To be fair ponyfags deserve to be banned from here as well as life itself.

Hey guys. I will write my math test tommorow about integrals and I dont have an idea how should I do it._. I am really depressed now. perhaps somebody could help me?

I am really bad at math and this is my last test this year... when I write it well I wont fail this subject and I can go to the next class.

did seeing ponies make you go blind, causing you to miss all the anime pics?

also, this was before ponies were banned.

If I say that I am a girl nothing changes, yeah?

>people still arguing about animeposting
I'll delete this thread and everyone inside it along with their posts

>Proof: Exercise
>in a journal paper

Bump? No one who knows complex anal has seen this problem/theorem?

khanacademy

What is the most autistic field of mathematics?

Kill yourself, fucking retards.

>what are you studying?
I'm studying ways of creating a new field of math dedicated to consuming human excrement. So basically a formalization of this thread.

Hey. Subhuman garbage is not welcome in this thread. Thanks!

Hello. You do realize that vermin such as yourself is not welcome here, right?

"Epic" image "bro"! How about you fuck off to somewhere else? Like for example

Don't worry. Every single retard in this thread doesn't actually know or care about math so you're in good company.

Kill your own self immediately. Your kind doesn't deserve to live.

Haha. Why do you even care about this "math" stuff lol
just attach the same images to your posts instead like all of us here do.... fuck that "MATH" Shit!

Good posts haha! Do you mind if I screenshot them??

edgy, I like it

good post! i'm black myself and i can sympathize with this image.

> I finished my PhD last year.
COOL! Can I get your name please? I wanna learn from you... Your so cool.

are you black too? is that you on the image?

Wow... Your retarded aren't you? Why are you interested in "math"?
>perhaps somebody could help me?
Yes. Choose a recognizable series and attach images from there to every single post you make. This is the only way your going to learn.

Who fucking cares dude... Just post some reaction images, make sure that their either of the same character or from the same series or from a character associated with some other character you usally like to post here....

literally who gives a fuck...
true!

fucking this! i cant understand they're desire to post "math" here of all places
why dont they use some other board?? it's an avatar based chatroom here not a "math" discussion thread

Seek professional help. Mental illness will only get worse if it goes untreated.

lmao... chill out dude....
just post a cancerous recognizable reaction image and be done with it

Why do you people need a /math/ general when math is a board-wide topic (it's in the board name)?
It makes about as much sense as /co/ having a "cartoons general" or Veeky Forums having a "finance general".

If there was an excess of math-related posts to the extent that mathposting has to be corraled into a single thread, that might have been a reason to justify the existence of a general, but at this point it looks like pic related is already in full effect.

May I suggest, in lieu of a general, that people simply start new threads discussing math, as and when they have interesting content to discuss.

no... post a reaction image which makes it so that i can easily distinguish your posts or fuck off.

The irony here being that at least one of those posts is made by someone who just attaches the same images to their every post.

:*

literally forget about math dude...
just use recognizable images all the time and wel'l be fine. there's literally no need for math here.

it's just a containment thread for circlejerkers, like every general

Here's something that will creep you the fuck out: I barely use a reaction image once every 5th post, roughly. We might have interacted on friendlier, normal grounds in the past! Imagine the horror of that!

please don't be so hostile. just us an avatar and everything will be fine my "dude".

>a post without an image is made by someone who attaches the same images to their EVERY post
Are you sure you should be using a math thread?

I was only paraphrasing his claim, the point being that he's made avatarfagging out to be a much bigger problem than it actually is.

Haha!! dude... I'm going to screenshot evey single reaction image scene of hibike euphonium too and post it here. Maybe i'll become as cool and avdanced as you.
>We might have interacted on friendlier, normal grounds in the past!
Yeah!! This! It really fucking matters what happened ed when i replied to your posts without you using a cancerous reaction image right? it's not like this is what they call an """anonymois image board"""

>I was only paraphrasing his claim
That is not an excuse for your inability to spot a blatant contradiction.
>the point being that he's made avatarfagging out to be a much bigger problem than it actually is
Did you make a typo when entering this site? This isn't "reddit.com" where you "people" use "avatars".

Hey guys. I'm a new "Math Only" poster here. Don't mind me. I'm making posts about "Math" right now.

Just found some some new math some Math and wanted to share it with you. Don't mind me.

Hey guys. Don't mind my posts. Wanna dicuss some cool Math here? I just got my PH D by the way. Oh but that's math related actually.

Good posts! I fully agree with this Math. I hope to beome as cool as you one day when I can finally get my PH D as well.....

Please don't mind my posts guys continue your discussion. I'll just be posting some Math problems here right now (this very post).
Oh and Did I tell you I got my PH D recently so I'm allowed to use cancerous what did they call them again "reaction images" (not to be confused with avatars) hehe

Hold on a second faggot: why are you so eager to elide any trace of your identity and why are you so scared of the identity of others seeping through the veil of your imagined lemming swarm utopia?
I'm not even the only guy who's posted reaction images from Hibike Euphonium, nor is Hibike Euphonium characters my only source for reaction images.

Seriously, kill yourself.

Now that I think about it actually Math should be banned from this thread. Subscribe to my facebook if you agree!
>lls @ ur life
Haha! Epic! I have heard this joke made on thee website "Twitter" and I laughed so hard my heart started hurting a little

I bet the spammer is the 2huposter. He's mad that no one cares about his physics shit.

>math
Fucking idiots... This is a chatroom not a "math thread".

>physics
Yes. Please post that in this thread. Physics and avatar chatrooms is what this thread is truly about.

It really is the 2huposter and he really is THIS mad! Holy shit this is hilarious!

This... I sugesst we rename this thread to "Avatars and Special Physics" in other words ASP

Hello. I think Physics should be the one true topic of this thread actually well perhaps avatars and casual chats with avatars are fine as well but physics should really be the main focus i think.

But I really need help. I can show boobs for help.

Saved this post. This is truly a great thing which needs to be recorded and passed down through generations. THANK YOU! I hope to become as cool and avdanced as you when I receieve my "PH D"

Yo 2hu, why are you so upset tho?

Fuck off.... We discuss avatars and physics here. Not some filthy "Math".
I merely think that Physics should be the sole topic of this thread. Is that really that strange considering it's superior? Oh and don't forget to maintain the chatroom atmosphere by constantly using Avatars.

>2huposter got so btfo last thread that he's now pretending to be one of the anti-avatarfags

Hey guys. I'm new and I really LOVE this chatroom atmosphere you have here.
By the way does someone else like Physics here? I fucken Hate Math so I'm thinking I'll just post about Physics instead. Is that OK?