READ WALDEN

READ WALDEN

YOU PHILISTINES

Other urls found in this thread:

thoreau.eserver.org/emerson1.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>DUDE NATURE LMAO
>FUCK CAPITALISM AND LAWS AND SHIT

This is literally what passes for American "literature". Embarrassing.

he was just a literal neckbeard and thus decided to go all "those sour grapes".

Duh

Is it comfy?

I like hojoki a lot and kinda want to read more books by social recluses.

Thoreau has nothing on Aldo Leopold and John Muir. They're the real deal.

overall a very comfy book

incommenserable. critics say thoreau was a bad poet but that's how he saw himself ("the poet" or "for a poet" are used for first person several times in walden)

Thoreau came off like too much of a wordy faggot to me who kept digressing on trivial shit. Emerson is much more efficient and coherent with his philosophy and writing.

They're all nature writers. Thoreau is overrated.

Check out Emerson's (short, insightful and moving) eulogy for Thoreau here

thoreau.eserver.org/emerson1.html

nice meme twiggy, keep on keeping on

Don't forget to do it while living on your wealthy friends estate

stfu

I already have friend

>Hey someone gave me this land I can use for free
>I'll go spend some time out there imitating poor people in the ways I find comfortable, and without having any of their responsibilities
>Anyone who isn't self-reliant like me sucks, also poor people suck

Wow great book.

He says while not actually a recluse and from a position of economic privilege. He was a casual monk at best.

>poor people suck
He's right, he's right! We're so lame.

This. Fuck Trump, fuck white people.

This shit right here is the real deal, niggers

>not living in a coffin sized box you can buy for literally one dollar
>not wearing the decaying, stained suit you've had for years solely because it's comfortable
>not eating unleavened horse fodder bread for every meal

People these days, am I right? I think it's time we get back to our roots

Which critics and why? geniune question, never been too much into Thoreau

You all are fucking idiots..

Holy FUCK, user. This comment was so insightful. I never thought about it that way. You should start using a tripcode all the time, so I can know when you're posting and be the first to read about your deep knowledge of everything (no I'm not going to filter, you, silly haha! xD I love your sense of humour). Keep on posting, bro, you're destined to do great things.

ITT: people who take Walden literally.

That it's a small cabin and that it's in the woods isn't the point. The point is that he lived in a place that suited his spirit, his skills, and nature-loving spirituality. In other words, a place where he could know himself best.

Triggered.
I will waste my breath as it seems necessary.
You cannot compare Thoreau to Emerson, Leopold, Muir, or anyone else. There is merit if you pay attention. The attitude of superiority in some of these comments is ridiculous!!
Insightful enough?

That'd be true if Thoreau didn't spend much of the book contemptuously explaining to all the dumb morons who don't want to live in a cabin why his lifestyle is superior.

Does the book even do that? Whenever he praises his lifestyle, he's just talking about how well it suits him and him only. He even gives up the cabin lifestyle at the end of the book. Why would he praise its superiority but then admit its limitations?

Stop trying to argue with them friend-o. Most of the people in this thread have not read Walden.

He isn't wrong about that, self-reliance beyond that is shitty.

Cheers senpai, I'm not sure why I was even bothering. If they can't appreciate the act of love that is Thoreau's writing, that's too bad for them

It was poorly written, and it kind of falls apart when you find out his mother was helping him the whole time.

Hey man, walden was sprinkled with brilliance. Imagine if a first grader tried to write about a log cabin. Now magnify his intelligence by 5. Then realize that he is essential for understanding civil disobedience. You pleb amaze me. Uber literate but so green

>tfw every month or so a new "exposed" article comes out saying Thoreau is a fraud because he squatted on his friend's property and was only a mile from town
>pseuds who never read the book use it as a justification for never reading it while still having a strong opinion about it
>mfw

>that Kathryn Schultz article

It's actually horrendous. Why does she hate him so much when she doesn't even understand him?

Just looked up this article and oh boy am I triggered.