What is the Rudin of abstract algebra?

What is the Rudin of abstract algebra?

Other urls found in this thread:

math.upenn.edu/~ted/371F14/hw-371SchedTab.html
amazon.com/Linear-Algebra-Introduction-Mathematics-Undergraduate/dp/0387940995
youtube.com/watch?v=kjBOesZCoqc&feature=youtu.be&list=PLZHQObOWTQDPD3MizzM2xVFitgF8hE_ab
cs.uoregon.edu/research/summerschool/summer16/curriculum.php
cs.uoregon.edu/research/summerschool/archives.html
angg.twu.net/MINICATS/awodey__category_theory.pdf
cs.man.ac.uk/~hsimmons/zCATS.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Dummit&Foote

fpbp

fpbp

aluffi

Artin

lang

actually im pretty sure lang is the rudin of every field

Ok then, so what is Rudin of topology

hatcher

Munkres

Here you go math.upenn.edu/~ted/371F14/hw-371SchedTab.html includes lectures which you will need if you're doing abstract algebra or else the piles of abstractions don't make sense at first. uses Dummit/Foote and Lang and Artin's blue book.

If you aren't at that level then pick up a Robert Valenza book amazon.com/Linear-Algebra-Introduction-Mathematics-Undergraduate/dp/0387940995 and watch these lectures youtube.com/watch?v=kjBOesZCoqc&feature=youtu.be&list=PLZHQObOWTQDPD3MizzM2xVFitgF8hE_ab

Lang is probably the hardest, there's an older edition of Lang where an exercise was "Find a book on Homology and do every exercise".

What is the Rudin of Electromagnetic Theory or electrodynamics?

Wangsness desu

What's the Rudin of Real Analysis?

Nice same as my class will use, thanks

Apostol

What's the Rudin of Analysis besides Rudin & Apostol?

Baby Rudin: Artin
Papa Rudin: Lang

What is the Rudin of Classical Mechanics?

What is the Rudin of inter-universal Teichmüller theory?

WRITE IT

D&F or Lang
Janich or Bendon
Griffiths
Kolmogorov or Simon's Analysis series
Beautiful
LL or Arnold

this

How safe are sites like libgen in the US?

The files to be downloaded don't have viruses or anything of that sort, if that's what you mean.

What about legally?

Only illegal to upload, nothing wrong with downloading them, plus they're friggin books, unless it's pearson no one's gonna care.

Actually it IS illegal to download them, but nobody's gonna care, and even if they did, you probably won't get caught.

Huh, good to know user, I'd still advise not downloaded a fuck ton of books at one time but other than that go for it, been using lib gen for years.

Very, book publishers only sue websites that host it.

Retards, different countries have different laws. In some places downloading isn't illegal and in others it's been decriminalized

Good book for optics or maybe a photonics, optoelectronics..? No class solely on the subject yet so maybe a more beginner friendly

Good thing user specifically asked about the United States.

That's civil law though, not criminal law. Meaning that it's not illegal in the sense that the police are going to investigate and come bust you for it but it is "illegal" in the sense that the right's-holder can hold their own privately funded investigation and then send you a law suit for damages.

On the other hand, if you start selling the pirated content somewhere or start incorporating them into a product you're selling then that is criminal law and the feds can bust you for it.

Besides, the publishers are the real crooks in all this. Often times books go out of print and publishers refuse to print more. Then authors end up totally fucked where they can't go to other publishers or even print out and give out copies to fans because of an agreement with the publisher. Not to mention that authors barely make any money out of the agreement compared to the publishers. In the end publishers are just dickhead businessmen who don't understand or give a single fuck about the content. All they care about is making money from it.

tl;dr:
>It's not illegal
>The rights-holder could throw away money to try and sue you but that'd be retarded and has never happened
>You shouldn't feel bad about pirating anyway, especially not textbooks since most textbook authors would just give you a free copy if they could.

As someone who knows Category Theory, Allufi is the most fucking annoying book to read.

It presents itself as an algebra book but its actually a shitty attempt at an "introduction to Category Theory through Algebra". As a result the Algebra is weirdly taught and the Category Theory is incredibly poorly done.

Fuck that book and fuck your pretentious ass for suggesting it.

Thanks for the detailed response. I agree no one should feel bad about pirating textbooks.

Why haven't authors created something like Steam but for books?

You mean the Kindle Store?

You're welcome, user.

That's a good question. Likely because services like Steam are still pretty new and they seem difficult to get right (many companies have tried doing something similar both before and after Steam came around but none have been nearly as successful).

It's worth noting that Steam makes buying games so convenient that people buy tons of games they don't have any intention of playing any time soon. For movies, books, and other media on the other hand it is often far more convenient to pirate something than it is to buy it (compare a gazelle torrent tracker like BTN to Netflix, Hulu, and other services).

Something like that may be ideal.

The situation for academic journals is actually way worse and attempts at solutions often fail to attract authors and are difficult to identify in a sea of fraudulent journals (no peer review, entire thing a scam for money).

Kindle is geared more towards literature and other content that's primarily text and isn't disrupted when it is reflowed.

Textbooks on the other hand incorporate diagrams and mathematical expressions. Authors also spend a lot of time figuring out how a page should be typeset (including where things should be laid out and where page breaks/white space should be). Such content ends up inferior on Kindle. Not to mention they provide content in special formats and overall the technology is harder/more inconvenient than just pirating a PDF.

Besides Rudin, Fichtenholz, too bad it doesn't have English translation, but if you know Russian, German, Polish or Chinese then you're golden

Janich has zero exercises so that doesn't really make sense.

I started reading aluffi and I quite liked it. What do you suggest I read instead if I want to learn algebra and/or cat theory?

Fair enough, then just supplement it with a text that does like Bendon. Despite the lack of exercises I still think it's one of the best topology books, at least in terms of presentation of the material.

For category theory, I would suggest beginning with the lectures from the Oregon Programming Language Summer School (they're essentially a crash course into the material).

Different people give the intro category theory talks each year so you can pick and choose who you like.
Here's last years:
cs.uoregon.edu/research/summerschool/summer16/curriculum.php
A list:
cs.uoregon.edu/research/summerschool/archives.html
I believe this years session just ended but it seems the videos aren't up yet.

After viewing the lectures you should follow up with Awoedey's book. He does a modern 'category theory first' approach to the material (just like OPLSS, also he's one of their speakers). Skim the stuff you already know from the lectures above to save time.
angg.twu.net/MINICATS/awodey__category_theory.pdf

For a more comprehensive reference resource check out Simmon's tome. I wouldn't read this as starting material because it's so verbose and touches so many other subjects that you will never finish it.
cs.man.ac.uk/~hsimmons/zCATS.pdf

For Algebra I have no recommendation as I find the subject incredibly boring.

Thanks lad, I felt like I was missing out when doing Cat theory with aluffi, especially considering he only introduces functors 400 pages in

someone make a chart of the equivalents of rudin/spivak/stewart in different fields

What is the Rudin of Precalculus?

What’s the Rudin of Linear Algebra?

Lang, basic mathematics and linear algebra, respectively

I used Jacobs. Is it shit?

Compared to Lang? Yes

Aluffi actually does a decent job. You should try reading past chapter 5 next time.

Hoffman and Kunze without question.

>I still think it's one of the best topology books, at least in terms of presentation of the material

I agree, I just don't think it is analogous to Rudin. Rudin serves a different purpose in Analysis then Janich does in Topology.

I have read much farther into it. It does a terrible job, especially for category theory.

Then I'd say Bendon probably fulfills role, nothing against Munkres, it's just a bit basic.

Artin

So you mean which abstract algebra is the most memed while actually not being worth too much?

If you mean "memed into oblivion by Veeky Forums but not actually very good" then Aluffi.
But in the sense of Rudin being a streamlined introduction to all the essentials you need to know, I'm not sure algebra has an equivalent. Dummit+Foote doesn't count, it will introduce you to everything you need but it's also bigger than a phonebook. Lang probably comes closest but there's no way 90% of undergrads could approach that and learn anything. Maybe Lang's undergrad version would work, I haven't looked through that one.

I've heard good things about it

Some sites to download free books pls?

Knapp's books may be the right fit then, possibly Jacobson as well.
Lib gen is the only one you'll ever need.

Is it safe? I.e. no viruses?

>Is it safe?
Yes.
>I.e. no viruses?
No.

I've downloaded dozens of books from that site and have never gotten a virus, it's pretty safe.

Can anyone say what's the difference between Lang's undergraduate and graduate algebra?

>Russian site with pirate content
Yeah it's safe for sure

Just saved me hundreds of dollars on textbooks that I couldn't find pdfs for elsewhere. Thank you

Stacks Project