Do you think taking notes is important to the process of reading, or at least understanding, literature, Veeky Forums?

Do you think taking notes is important to the process of reading, or at least understanding, literature, Veeky Forums?

If so, do you always take notes when you're reading, or only sometimes? How do you decide when to, and when not to take notes? Do you take your notes in margins, or in a separate notebook?

I recently started taking notes while reading and it seems to me like it helps a lot, but I'm curious as to how everyone else does it.

IF YOU ARE YOU READING aristotle AND WONDERING IF YOU SHOULD BE TAKING NOTES

THE ANSWER IS YES

the only fiction i really annotate is joyce desu
i like notes in the margin for philosophy though

I'm too smart to take notes

wow that is pretty smart

When I read for fun I just annotate in the margins

But when I read for school I usually annotate

I took notes throughout Harry Potter. It's the only real literature that has made me think.

If you're reading something expository, yes. If you're reading novels, no. Novels are just a step above movies and video games, and are merely for entertainment. You could write down quotes that you like, or references I suppose

:3

I think for a first reading you don't really need to, but if you liked a book enough to reread, then jotting down notes/thoughts will definitely enrich it

Did you typo your post? It seems a bit non-nonsensical.

I personally can't stand taking notes in margins, or anywhere in the book itself. I don't understand how people can do it.

I think it depends on the book, and the reason you're reading it. I don't think I've ever taken notes on a book I was reading simply for fun.

I find that I tend to write notes for plays and books on philosophy. Also, if I'm reading it for school ,I'll usually write a paragraph that summarizes the chapter, and jot down a few quotes I found interesting. It helps for writing papers, so you already have some practice analyzing the text.

I know this is an incredibly stupid question but what kind of notes should I be taking if I want have a better understanding of content?

the ultimate pleb mindset

When I read for fun I usually just leave page markers so that I can go back to important bits.

if I read for work, yes, I take notes on some papers or on my computer.
If I read for my pleasure (whether it is researchs of just novels), I never take any notes, and I can't stand stuff written or underlined in a book, it just fucks up my reading experience.

What are your guys' opinions on taking summary notes as you work through a text? I find it helpful when reading multiple books at a time (as it lets me quickly go over my own summary when I pick a book back up if I forget something), as well as when working through a particularly dense/difficult book. In the case of more difficult books, I find writing summary helps me actually make sure I understand what is happening, and often prompts me to go re-read passages I might not have otherwise.

i didn't take notes last year and it is difficult for me to remember all the books i read and impossible to remember any more than one or two good quotes.

this year i've started a reading journal and i can remember all the books i've read so far (14), all the authors arguments (for non-fiction) and i have access to all my favourite quotes (for fiction).

>implying films and video games are on the same level
>implying there isn't an entire staircase of steps between them and literature

No, it's pleb to have shelves full of story books.

The average movie that you go to the theater to watch is the lowest level of entertainment. Calling it 'film' doesn't change that.

But go on thinking you're patrician because you read story books instead of something that can actually elevate you

I take notes every time I have something to write down. It helps me jot down what I already know and progress further in thinking. Authors put very complicated thoughts in their writing that should be recorded; it helps with understanding the overall directing process, a side-effect I've noticed. Often, I write down deduced character traits or complicated mechanics. It adds to the overall enjoyment of the book for me to get into the real cannon of the writing.

Looking back at the first book I decided to take notes for, I have found them to be effete. Notes at the start are like that, as they are for you to remember ideologies and characters. The more you write down the more you recognize these traits and the less you feel like you need to take notes. Coming to only doing so for, as I said earlier, deductions or thoughts about reflections on the topic. Notes I write now are paragraph-long, or longer, thoughts about the state of affairs.

But only do that if you enjoy it. In my case, I started doing it because I felt a feeling of incompetence when I couldn't remember what books were about. It's the same thing as anything that forces you to change the way you live, regret. Maybe you're feeling the same way right now. I'll tell you one thing: it helps. Damn that's some dry prose.