What e-book readers do you guys recommend?

What e-book readers do you guys recommend?
Hopefully one i can pirate books onto

Pretty much any because of Calibre. Paperwhite is nice though.

Kobo Aura One if you value good sleep

Just a kobo aura in general. Their DRM is less restrictive than Amazon's, they read more file formats and you can expand their memory with an SD card

>DRM

Every thread. There is no fucking DRM on Kindle if you pirate all your books and click auto-convert on send on calibre. Not to mention that Kobos actually steal more of your information. But at the end there is no difference between the two, except for the H2O if you read in the tub which I do

You can install KOReader on the Kindles and go DRM free if you choose to

Every ereader is exploitable so it really comes down to the quality of hardware

This. SWIM has never had any problems on kindle with Calibre.

There's not much difference on hardware between the Kobo Auras and the newer Kindles though. The Kobos are a tiny bit cheaper and more sturdy, so in that case I'd say it's more about where are you going to use the device

To add to this, if you are buying on kindle (you cant find it to pirate and the hardcover is overpriced, or you have an amazon gift certificate or something) you can put an addon on calibre to strip the drm, make a new copy, and return the one you bought. This also works with the Prime lending system.

The Aura One blue-light filter is fucking huge for me

Was looking for my first ereader this past week.
From what I've heard, Kobo is a dying product and that the Nook is irelevant. I ended up choosing the normal Kindle 8 for the safety of the Amazon market, and it should be arriving tomorrow.
Did I fuck up? Should I have gone Paperwhite?

I have an e-reader with pirated books, but I'm considering buying the physical copies since apparently you retain information less well with e-readers than books.

Naw, its fine. Ive had my touch for 5 years now and its still a solid, working piece of electronics, even through constant use and travel

>SWIM has never had any problems on kindle with Calibre.
>SWIM
ah this takes me back

That's for LCD screens last time I heard

How good is Calibre at converting PDFs?

The latest Kindle is the only answer.

the iphone

paperwhite is GOAT if just just want a barebones ereader only. If you want an actual tablet I would buy a samsung tab for SD card support

they work ok but still fuck up in the strangest ways sometimes.

Kindles in general suck ass at PDFs

What's the best for PDFs? Is it best to convert them?

You can't convert PDFs reliably. Just read it on your computer or maybe a tablet.

converting still fucks up on kindles thats why I bought a Samsung tablet.
I just put all my PDFs on a USB stick when i wanted to read back when i just had a kindle

how to squint harder than a chinaman

You say this because of the red/blue light adjustment, yeah? I wish my H2O had that

kindle sucks more from a /g/ or /tech/ perspective

>muh freedoms

you definitely can because a guy i follow releases novels as word docs and some user has been transforming them into legit looking epubs.

I don't see how since they are all able to be jailbroken and it still appears that amazon doesn't give a fuck if you do it

it's just like any other linux device as far as I'm concerned

No lie. I worked with a Chinese immigrant who was into classic Veeky Forums. He spent all of his paycheck on rent and sending money home so he had no TV/computer/physical books. He read War & Peace, Crime & Punishment and the complete Sherlock Holmes on his Nexus phone during the 2 years I worked with him. I can't check FB for more than a few minutes without feeling the pain.

Kindle 3

So to do it, three ways

One, pirate high quality OCR software, edit it, publish as a doc or rtf file, create a formated xml or epub file with some open source software

Two, pirate Acrobat portable or download BRISS, crop out page numbers, borders, headers, and footers, and just put the pdf on the kindle as is.

Three, assuming you have a pdf that is published or printed from a word or open office doc, just convert using calibre heuristic shit, or just turn the pdf into an epub using the pdf as images, which makes a MASSIVE file.

Its really just easier to use an ipad.

it's been out of stock in the us for months

goddamn kobo hurry up

übermesch