Why is there such a colossal gap between the number of students enrolled and the amount of degrees awarded in the STEM...

Why is there such a colossal gap between the number of students enrolled and the amount of degrees awarded in the STEM field? Are there really this many stupid students who thought they could get into STEM? Explanations?

Pic related. (Top is picture of degrees awarded, bottom is enrollment)

Low graduation rates are primarily caused by:

1. People transferring to another uni (so they technically don't graduate from their original school)
2. People who overestimate their ability to succeed or do the work in a rigorous major
3. Unusually difficult coursework that weeds out more first years than it should, grade deflation etc

because we don't know how to teach math. in aerospace at my college they threw some hard problems at you right in the beginning to separate wheat from the chaff. if you don't have a level of mathematical maturity you won't make it past the first year. most kids attend buttfuck highschool where they teach to the test and learn nothing about mathematical thinking. even if they wanted to learn mathematics, they simply wouldn't have time, because they have to go to a government building for 8 hours a day (or be arrested) for 12 years, to be forcefed a cirriculum similar to a watered and dumbed down liberal arts education, with no coherency and basically no real purpose. they have the most alert hours of their best years taken away from them to be taught how to be obedient. it's actually kind of sick.

whats funny is despite the fact that every uni is practically carrying you through college with 80 point curves the graduation rate is still low for stem.

Have you considered the fact that the enrollment at a 4 year university is generally a little over 4x the amount of degrees conferred per year?

What's your point?

So engineering has something like an 85% retention rate. That's big but I wouldn't call it a colossal gap.

I studied chemistry in undergrad which had something like a 25% retention rate, so I wasn't sure if any of you somehow thought that only ~2000 of the original ~9500 students who enrolled actually graduated.

Oh god finally this... how Canon Veeky Forums of all places be so retarded.
>why doesn't the entire college graduate at once?
>why don't they wait 4years to fill up the place, so everyone can graduate at once?

>1985x4 = 7940
>7940 < 9418
hmm

Oh, of course not. None of us are implying that. However, I used Georgia Tech as the basis for my study. I highly doubt any engineering student in their right mind would transfer away from Georgia Tech if they were accepted there, so the culprit for such low graduation rates seems to point more to switching majors and dropping out.

Why do you think so many engineering classes dwindle in population over the course of freshman year?

You fucking idiot. I viewed the enrollment rate for 2011, and then looked at the amount of degrees awarded for 2015.

How much do they pay for product placement in a Veeky Forums post?

Which, again, still indicates that 85% of people who started in the school of engineering graduated from the same school.

The average 4 year graduation rate across the country is something incredibly low like 60%, so if anything this college is way above average.

Also, at my undergrad I knew far more people who transferred INTO the school of engineering than out of it. I'm not saying that a lot of people don't drop out of STEM, but I'm saying that OP's statistics don't really signify shit.

It took me literally 3 seconds to verify that the bottom numbers are the entire university's enrollment.

Your logic would be applicable if I took both the statistics from the same year. The bottom picture is four years prior to the top picture, which means of the students who enrolled in 2011 (9,418), only 1,985 degrees were awarded in 2015. There's no way you're going to tell me that over 7,000 students either changed majors or switched schools.

I'm telling you that like 300 students changed majors or switched schools, I have no idea what logic you're talking about.

Plus based on OP's enrollment and on it seems like overall enrollment is decreasing anyways, so it's probably even less than that.

>9418-7940 = 1478
>if you change schools, you arent counted in the graduation statistics
hmm

>Are there really this many stupid students
Yes, and more.

Students arent dumb, they know a MBA makes twice of an stem degree. They change majors to something profitable

You can have both?

You need only one

This

I would move the second option to the top, and add a fourth:
Some people switch majors out of lack of interest in the subject they erolled in initially

One of the biggest reasons is grade inflation. Those high-school teachers fucked up and pass those students that should had not been passed in the first place. My friend was in cal 2 and told me that the class had 30 people and 6 on his last day. If a person got past cal 1, then they should be able to do cal 2 very easily. Those students were not prepared because of grade inflation.

yeah people are shit at math because they aren't treated like the hidden geniuses they truly are, not because they are far way more interested in playing video games, listening to music, playing basketball or doing drugs.