Just finished pic related. I think it may be the most beautifully written book i've ever read...

Just finished pic related. I think it may be the most beautifully written book i've ever read. I know the prose is beautiful and overdone on purpose, however I still have an itch for other books that have a very "poetic prose". What would you recommend?
Thanks

Also general "Lolita" thread

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.

If you think Nabokov is a master of stylistic prose, wait 'til you read Wilde. Both are exceptional artists in this regard.

No competition. Absolutely incredible works.

Pale Fire
Moby Dick
Suttree

Hello friends. How well regarded is this book /really/?
If i were to tell a normie i had read it, would they:
>1) know of it and commend me
>2) know of it and call me a pedo
>3) not know of it
Or lastly
>4) not know of it but call me a pedo anyway based off the possible controversy reguarding its title.

Either 1 or 3. Nabokov was a famous and well regarded writer, and only a few butthurt feminists think that Lolita was a "problematic" book. There is a Hollywood movie version of Lolita, it's not as if it's some sort of underground novel that only a select few pedophiles know about. I don't think anyone cares user.

More like 1 or 4

You will probably have to awkwardly explain everybody the whole point of the book, as to not come out like creep. Also avoid mentioning the hard-ons you got.

I've read PoDG, however, I still think lolita has a more poetic prose (maybe I just need to re-read it). What other books user?

Would Faulkner in general apply to this?

Definetly not all of his books, aside from ASILD maybe The Sound and the Fury, and Absalom, Absalom!.

Thanks

Titus Groan and Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake

Blood Meridian

Just started a course on this book. The teacher opened with a contrast of pre-postmodern literature/interpretation (black and white, good and evil, is how she put it) and post-modern interpretation being challenging our ideas of race, gender, class, sexuality, etc. I don't have much versing in post-modernism, is this accurate? If not, what would post-modernist theory/interpretation be looking at? I've always seen it as more of a post-structual type deal where everything is subjective and questionable and builds off each other.

I met someone who really overdoes prose ("purple writing"). Lolita was flowery, but not too excessive.

>challenging our ideas of race, gender, class, sexuality, etc.
This is a joke, right?
What's wrong with our times? Can I go through a day without reading this " race, gender, class, sexuality" phrase?

Is the book really good or is it just a meme because of the pedophilia themes? I'm genuinely curious.

I first got this book "for the lulz" so to speak. Though I knew that it was a respected work of English Literature, I had no expectations. I was completely blown away by it, and was in tears at the end. It is still my favourite novel of all time. I urge you to read it.

I know. I got pretty depressed after that because Lolita is one of my favorites books and I was really interested in gaining a deeper understanding of it. But idk maybe it'll be ok.

1) Read his short story collections
2) Read Franny and Zooey
3) Read Updike

It's really fucking good

i dont get it its just a fucking pedophile is lolita just left wing bullshit

Nabakov was a conservative who voted for Nixon

I just finished this too! What a coincidence:^)

it's a joke that goes on for too long, beautifully written though

>Never really had an experience with a book that would warrant calling it my favourite
>Reading Lolita now and absolutely loving it
>Can never tell someone I finally found a book I can call my favourite because I'm a weird 23 year old male

Kek

read nabokovs other shit obviously

YOU like The Force Awakens though. Your taste is the definition of suspect.

It's pretty overrated but it's alright

I'd say Wilde has a bunch of more flowery works than Dorian Gray.

The Importance of Being Earnest, for example.

With that said, I do like Navokob more than Wilde. Nabokov feels like a sweet spot. Not simple enough to feel utilitarian, nor flowery enough to feel pretentious or faggy (where Wilde belongs). If you wanna go more towards the utilitarian side, I'd say BolaƱo does a pretty good job. His shit feels just as well-delivered and addictive as Nabokov, though nowhere near as beautiful.

>What's wrong with our times?
The advent, implementation and normalization of critical theory.

Long story short, they've taken marxism and replaced the bourgeoisie and proletariat for the race/gender/sexuality/etc in the majority (or what they consider "in power") and the minority (or what they consider "being oppressed"), and made everything conflate into that, as there's majorities and minorities in everything and then they can use that apparent (though not under scrutiny) victimhood as political currency.