Engineering

Hey sci, filthy technician here. I'm planning on going back to school, want to get an electrical engineering degree. 27 years old, is there a realistic way for me to do this while working 40 hours a week?

No.

>40 hours a week
I am STEM but not engineering, but I work 20 hours a week and I already want to kill myself and/or quit.

You will fail your first semester like that. You should try to get funding so that you don't have to work. Perhaps convince your company that you will use the degree with them after you graduate and make them agree to reduce your hours for the next 4 years.

I'm 26 and I''ll be getting my associates for electrical tech next year. Am I fucked?

I'm tired of school and my shitty dead end wage slave job. I want to work but something more relevant to my field. I want to move out of my parent's house. I kinda of want to go for my full EE degree too but I don't know if I have it in me right now. I'm pretty burnt out with school.

Thanks, will talk to my department head and try to negotiate something.

I'm 22, working 36hours/week and surviving at Chem Eng.

You can do it, user!

..but it's going to be tough.Although, If you already have a technical degree, most of the first semester's subjectd should go like a breeze.

Thanks user

I'm 23 and have a job and thinking of switching from aerospace to Avionics am I making any mistakes here sci? I havent seen a succesful avionic engineer around me ever, what 2do

Just do EE and focus on Avionics.

Usually overspecialized degrees or hybrid degrees which focus on more than two fields are usually not a good choice.
They can't cover enough material in the same time which also leads to being shittier at interdisciplinary stuff (which would be their aim most of the time) or in the case of being specialized: learning specific knowledge instead of the generic theory behind stuff will you leave in a shit position more often than not.

They are a better choice for your masters or PhD.

In fact if you want a hybrid or specialized degree then don't even think about stopping till you get your masters.

You most like won't be able to do it in time. A reduction of your workload to 20h/w is more realistic.

>is there a realistic way for me to do this
no.
the realistic cut off for starting college is 22 years old. 4 years should have been long enough for you to realize not going to college was a mistake. Now you are old and stupid and no one will want you there.

Why is there an age cut off for college? That doesn't make sense

Chances are if you hop of the education train, you won't likely hop back on. In for a penny...

he's being a dick. it's never too late to go back. I have more respect for older people who returned to college than the bratty pre-med fuck who feels they are entitled to the title of Dr. because one of their parents is one.

*off

fuck you man, i failed out of college and 5 years ago and im in a PhD program now. Ill agree it is difficult, but if you have the drive/access, it's more than possible.

It's never too late. If employers see that you went back to college and do good then it's actually a benefit. It shows this lowlife "got gud".

"...We Do These Things Not Because They Are Easy But Because They Are Hard...."-JFK

It is never too late to change your life.

please don't force other people to endure you're old stupid self in classes and on campus where literally everyone else isn't an old weird creepy screw up. No one will want you around.

What degree teaches you thin film deposition?

>you're old stupid self
yea something tells me he's not going to be seen as the stupid one.

Are you an engineering technician?

So you are basically admitting if you were in that situation you wouldn't even try to go back to school because of societal/social "norms" of college of being for early 20 year olds. That's the thinking of a failure.

>thinking you should force other people to suffer your presence when you're not wanted
that's the thinking of an old creepy loser

You are weak as fuck if you care about the opinion of 18 year old frat boys.

I'm going into my 4th year in EE, I can't even imagine working more than 16-20 hours a week

Weeknights are spent almost exclusively doing homework and studying

Weekends are split between work and ever more homework

>27 years old wants to work full time and go to college for engineering

dude you going to fail and it will break you. May as well just save the shame and the money and not bother.

statistically you're in a demographic with an extremely low probability of actually succeeding.

Whatever though, don't say you weren't warned.

It depends. How good is your time management?
How resilient are you? How quickly can you learn new materials?

I managed to study and work full time my last two years of undergrad. It was hell though, don't expect to do anything besides studying and working.

Just LOL @ anyone saying this guy has a chance to do EE and work 40 hours a week. It isn't possible. If you have a 9-5 job then that means all of the 8 hours of free time (of which 3 or so hours will be eating, commuting, shitting, etc.) will have to be NOTHING but work. It's over. You would have to commit yourself to getting 0 sleep.

the people in graduate programs (which are 1000x harder than faggy undergrad classes) are literally 24-28

What the actual fuck are you spouting out of your asshole

OP just don't give into procrastination, stay focused. The reward is worth the effort.

>being 24-28 in grad school
wft you retarded or something?

a BS really should be a requirement to post here.

>be 25
>go back to school to study math
>literally all the 19-21 year olds want to be my friend
>not even for alcohol buying privileges
>literally just wanna hang out, go to the gym
>start dating a 19 year old qt
>professors appreciate my input since I have actual life experience beyond scholastics

You have no idea what you're talking about.

You fucking retard

If you enter uni at 18 and graduate in 4 years, then you enter grad school the following fall. At this point you are 22-23 years old and from there a PhD takes about 5 years to complete. Sometimes even longer.

So you are anywhere between 28-31 when you finish all education.

Are you 14? Do you somehow think 25 is old?

100% this. returned to college to finish my BS at 23. graduated at 25. Was hilarious how much influence i had on other students just based on my age/life experience, but it also was a sheltered college. Banged many girls since boys their age didnt know how to flat out ask them on dates or tell them they like them/are interested. Professors and I were close ass friends, they would even flat out complain about other students in my class knowing i had discretion from work experience.

anyone who discourages you to go back to school, fuck em

40 hours a week is probably not possible if you are schooling full time. Engineering programs are notorious for the workload of around 80 hours a week or more.

Convince your boss that they should invest in your degree, get reduced hours/stipend, maybe negotiate quarterly degree progress so they don't think you're fucking off.

Otherwise, hopefully you make little enough money to qualify for a bunch of scholarships and financial aid. Look into unis that fund older students (if you're in California and about 24, the UC system gives you a nearly full ride)