Just got this, what am I in for?

Just got this, what am I in for?
How good of a read is this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DQq9okyekJ4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Literally just be yourself: the book

In all seriousness it's pretty good, if not pretty light, a beginner could pick it up and understand it clearly. Been meaning to reread it myself

I found it incoherent and repetitive. Like listening to a rambling old man who keeps forgetting what he's said.

Isn't that most philosophy books in a nutshell? I mean, if you're expecting some sort of coherent progression then go read some fiction.

Thanks user, gonna delve into it tomorrow.

one of the best non fiction books of all time. actionable real world philosophy. you'll love it. pick up the Tao Te Ching too

Does it still hold up or is it just old age thinking?

it was never meant to be published. it's pretty good but you should just pick a random page and read 15 pages a few days in a row

Read this before reading Plato and Aristotle, I'd say it's a nice read but is definitely best understood with a solid grounding in virtue ethics. You'll get much more out of it, trust.

I read it when I ever I feel the weight of existing pressing down on me, or for whatever reason I happen to hate myself and my life

It always cheers me up and motivates me. It's straight forward and easy to understand, easy to pick up and read from any point. Puts a lot of things in perspective. It's practical life advice, mostly not abstract thoughts about thoughts

Highly recommend - a foundation point for philosophy and mediation, as another user said: actionable teachings.

>Literally just be yourself: the book

More like control yourself: the book

>More like control yourself: the book
More like how to be a good goy: the book.

Why do people ask shit like this? You have the book, just read it. It's not even that long. Does everyone on this board need some kind of sense of validation from an internet board of pretentious NEETs? Just read the fucking book man and remember to think for yourself

i've been reading it, so far it says to me that having true integrity is the greatest aversion to nihilism and that you should live each day as if you were going to die horrifically and to never waste this time you have on earth

it is redundant in it's wording, im pretty sure m. aurelius worded it intentionally like this so it was easier to commit to your memory, that's just my assumption though

Read this as well.

It's going to be about his family and happiness. Also there are some strong words of wisdom.

One of the comfiest books out there.

It was his personal diary, he never thought it was going anywhere. Doesn't anybody read introductions anymore?

These are literally just his thoughts and feelings on this and that during his campaigns.

Couldn't finish it. Too repetitive, lacks substance, depth. Read one or two chapters and you've got the gist of it. Stoic philosophy seems to be banal like that.

It still holds up, it doesn't delve too much into products of the time and has real-world applications

I love this book so much. I especially recommend section 3.2 and 5.1

It's pretty cool. I wouldn't say he's some type of genius or that there is anything in this book in particular that you couldn't find elsewhere...

however

He was the motherfucking Emperor of Rome. This is his diary. That alone makes it worth reading.

it's pieced together notes and scribblings never meant to be considered a full 'diary' or 'memoir'. it's fragments and notes written over many many years.

there are some repetitive areas because of this, but you have to realize it wasn't mean to be read at all, much less in a book.

OP, it's bretty gud. I read the Hays translation which is more direct and literal, less flowery bullshit from the old translations done by the Romantics.

you have been le memed mi amigo

>mfw someone saved the pic I made.

Bad Goy
youtube.com/watch?v=DQq9okyekJ4

>I couldn't finish an incredibly short diary
>that's how I can confidently tell you what the gist is, after I failed to finish it
>This is how I drew my conclusions on the philosophy

Could an opinion such as this, almost proudly uninformed, belong anywhere but the trash?