Why should I study philosophy, if it's not going to have any significant effect on my life...

Why should I study philosophy, if it's not going to have any significant effect on my life? A study of sciences has explicit benefits even if it's not a career choice, yet philosophy seems utterly meaningless.

Sounds like you're a lost cause utilitarian anyways, might as well just study science.

>lost cause utilitarian
>a person who doesn't want to dedicate his life to pointless mental masturbation and linguistic acrobatics

>I love spending my time meaninglessly!

I would pay money to let her shit in my mouth

>A study of sciences has explicit benefits
Like? Unless you devout most of your living time on it, it will be quite pointless I M O as you can't really do anything complex. As for philosophy its about learning to think unlike in science where you follow dogmas but is still insanely difficult.

you're too stupid to study philosophy anyway. This also means you're too stupid to study science. You'll make a great accountant one day.

>philosophy its about learning to think unlike in science where you follow dogmas
>being a cliche edgy liberal arts retard

Not OP, but I am an accountant and while your statement rustled my jimmies it is quite true

>science where you follow dogmas
Challenging dogmas is literally what scientists do as a job

>utalitarians
you guys are the new sophist
>lets do what market needs
just stop it

take drugs for your own interest sake!
live your fucking life!
make it something worthwile to you and worthwile to write, and not something like
>John was a nice guy, enjoyed his guy in average ways, ended uni, liked to read a little, 3 children, died 85.
Touch the rock bottom!
get to the top!
lose everything you had!

just don't be a fucking utalitarian tool, as it will either make your life worth shit, or you will realize it and get depressed.

If you studied philosophy and it ended up having no significant effect on your life then I'd be pretty surprised.

>just b urself :^)

you know that statement is meaningless meme.

also
>stupid frogposter

Perhaps instead of making snarky remarks you could tell us about the amazing, transformative ways in which philosophy impacted yours?

Yeah why bother refuting me? I'm in favor of science but people forget philosophy and end up stuck up in their path.
It should be but it isn't for now, where peer review is unreliable and people take it for granted. And then if you count sciences being hold down by corporations...

Would be nice if this partisan undergrad bullshit that we've seen hundreds of times could get auto-deleted.

It taught me how to think

>A study of sciences has explicit benefits even if it's not a career choice
how so

Of course you shouldn't, you already know things in advance.

Perhaps you could stop being a lazy ass nigga and do it for yourself.

Really made me ponder

You can lord your autism over the trivial mistakes of others. This may seem like a downside, but remember, they already have the autism. The most they'll ever get out of social interaction is the satisfaction of being condescending.

Should I list to you all the obvious benefits of hard knowledge for your conduct in real life, like it's not obvious? You apply physics, biology, chemisty, math all the time in everyday existence

Wow, you never replied to me anymore but continue to spout this bullshit? You clearly have no idea about what philosophy is considering your weak example as if it will have ANY difference at all in your life where with philosophy it can be tremendous.

I would argue you use philosophy more than science in everyday life.
Devices made with the knowledge gained by science are all around, but most people don't know or care how they work as long as they do. However, people are constantly concerned with what is right/moral/ethical.

>implying doing something that tangibly affects real world for a living somehow prevents you from experiencing life to its fullest
Oh the things people have to tell themselves to justify willfully wasting time on absolutely pointless garbage.

boobies

Well, you really seem to be an utilitarian. So go read John Stuart Mill, Jeremy Bentham to at least know the philosophical grounds of your position.

Another interesting read is Moral Tribes by Joshua Greene. It extends utilitarianism to a level where it works like a metamorality.

Utilitarism is the philosophy of robots, but at least is better than Scientism, which is the philosophy of the atheists coming from protestant families. (a.k.a. fedoras).

someone wrote this unironically

I think philosophy changed the world more than religion. We don't know about kant, but the phrase 'walk a mile in another's shoes' is in every culture. We don't know about nietzche, but the american businessman is a perfect example of that philosophy.
We may not know the exact influence of each philosopher, but they cause us to reconsider our culture. I think that is valuable on it's own, because culture is just a pile of popular lies in the first place. Might as well make them good ones.
I think all philosophy will accede to science because it's going to get harder to argue that your position works when a computer tells you you're dumb. No one likes to argue with computers because theirs no psychological reward for winning, so everyone has to shut up and follow the number crunchers lead.

Your dad can fix the car because he studied mechanical engineering instead of some faggot liberal shit

You can't fix a new car nowadays, it's all electronics, you have to take it to a certified service shop.

>You can't fix a new car nowadays, it's all electronics, you have to take it to a shop where a high-school dropout with 3 months of training will fix it.

>hur dur I don't make ethical or aesthetic decisions in my daily life i promise

Kill yourself.

Maybe it'll teach you, how to use commas.

>philosophy
>aesthetic decisions
>tfw you decorate your bathroom like a proper übermensch

So is God though.

If you actually feel like that about philosophy then you shouldn't study it. Is clearly not something you do to get money out of it.
Perhaps you could study something that would give you "explicit benefits" and read philosophy in your spare time.

Im sorry

war

war never changes