Hey Veeky Forums, high school is over for me and now i have to choose between 2 career options. First...

Hey Veeky Forums, high school is over for me and now i have to choose between 2 career options. First, I can become a programmer. I can find a job easily since most of my relatives are working in high profile companies but I'm not really into programming and I find it lame. Second, I can become an mathematician and actually do what I want to do but I will most luckily be jobless. If anyone is or has studied in mathematics what was your experience and what do you think i should choose?
>I know know i shouldn't post this here but I'm desperate for advice at this point

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computational_mathematics
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

the choice is obvious
>any job you want
>300k starting

It's money versus what I want to do. My relatives are pressuring me into programming and my tutors want to become a mathematician. Someone kill me...

become a mathematician with a minor in computer science. math is a powerful tool for a programmer.

So you say being a mathematician with a minor in computer science is better than being a straight up programmer?

WHY NOT BOTH

Have you ever considered Theoretical CS?

it depends on you, man. are you trying to just code w/e your boss tells you? or code stuff your boss tells you that happens to be too hard for most programmers and needs a mathfag? there's a whole area for that.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computational_mathematics

An mathematician? Isn't that grammatically incorrect? Don't mean to be a nazi, but it bugged me.

Yeah, code for a living, math for life.

Honestly I haven't. I'm a very abstract thinker and I find it very limiting tbqh.

I'm technically a mathfag and that's why I don't want to go full on programming. Computer mathematics sound really good to me tho and I'll definitely consider it. Thanks a lot.

Yeah sorry my bad but that's not the point anyway

i feel you. i'm trying to personally gauge whether or not EE would be something i'd be interested in or ME. i wanna improve electronics but i also think propulsion systems are dank.

You can study straight up programming and find a job quicker. Plus on my side i don't even have to finish college because of my relatives. If i do both then I'll be a poorfag for a long time until i find a job.

Yeah it's really stressful. Cinsidering i live in shithole country (Greece) this choice will either destroy me or make me move forward.

look at careers outside your country dude. never limit yourself.

Yeah and that's why I'm now considering computational mathematics and or applied mathematics and physics which will give me many options for postgraduate studies.

yeah you could do a masters in condensed matter physics. that is bustling with a lot of areas like superconductivity and nanostructures in crystallines and lithographic methods.

I guess I'll pick applied physics and mathematics since i can always chose between physics and mathematics and I can also do a minor in programming if I want to or go for postgraduate studies and work in research if I'm good enough.

If you aren't an idiot you can do a dual major in CS and Math. Focus your Math degree around Algebra, Number Theory, and Combinatorics. You can also take fun grad level CS classes your senior year like Quantum Computing and Artificial Intelligence since you will know most of the math by then. It's what I did and I love it! I regret not being able to take more math classes though, but that's ok because I'm not a big fan of applied math.

So you suggest to take mathematics for now and then do a major in cs too? Also, what's your occupation right now?

>programmer
>mathematician

This is not really a choice.

If you have an high enough IQ, study math. Otherwise do programming.

I started the same as you and now I have an MSc in Math.

It always pays better and you can always revert to programming.

However math is hard. It's not something that everyone can do.

This. Go to a uni with a lot of course overlap and math courses available over the summer. Departmental exams and CLEP can also be your friend. Most unis are very good about prior learning credits for math and CS (first couple years of basic stuff) because so many people learn by themselves or are otherwise ahead. If you play your cards right, then you could have a double major without too much added stress.

I haven't really taken an is test before but still everyone that have worked for me (mainly tutors and teachers) suggest me to go for mathematics instead of programming. The ones that want me to be a programmer are people who only care for my future job. I am not looking into becoming a math teacher tho, I'm mainly going for cs or research depending on how good i am with math.

K.K?

I already have 2 unis that can offer me exactly what you suggested.i guess I'll stick with that. Sounds really promising thanks a lot everyone.

I believe good understanding of EE lets you develop more stuff on your own. Especially in the circuits and embedded systems area. In ME you always need expensive manufacturing. Nevertheless you can learn both by either doule majoring or getting into student competitions.

most people that have not done mathematics will likely tell you not to go into mathematics. Especially engineers and computer scientists. Most of them don't have a clear view about it, because they remember the math exam from their undergrad that they failed 2 times and barely got through. Get familiar yourself with math and find out whether you like it. Or talk to mathfags.