Do you think college is on average a scam?

Do you think college is on average a scam?

>"on average"

if i was the type of faggot to bother having reaction pics i would post a cringe

>on average
most things on average are super shit. if you want to study go to the best or fuck off

Im not a native speaker.

yes but the education meme is strong in peoples heads.

your question's clear. we're not mocking the grammar, we're mocking the intent. asking whether college is usually a scam, or whether most people who go into college are being scammed is just as retarded for the same reasons

You (directly and through your taxes) pay for a bunch of losers to restate parts of already written and perfectly readable textbooks to you. Of course it's a scam

Of course. "You have to go to university to achieve something in life".

This meme has filled universities with normies who think that they are going to get tons of money. They have destroyed academia.

It's definitely a pretext for something built on top of pretense with ulterior motives.

But whether or not it really is a scam (ie, you don't get out of it what they say you get out of it), well academia likes to pretend that it is there for some grand intellectual purpose however if you get your liberal arts degree and end up flipping burgers then I would say yes. It really is about the money for them and it is hypocritical for them to ask others to pretend otherwise.

That's not to say however that one can't derive some value out of it. It just isn't what it is made out to be.

Yes I believe it is. Being told that you need degrees to get a job and that once you have them people will seek you out for employment. Meanwhile you're charged an extortionist amount while the admin offices don't do their jobs and push off their work on the students who need things done. In the US college debt is the largest debt in the country. No one is hiring, I know since I've been job hunting for a year without even receiving a response. It's fucked and just getting worse as the economy relies on newer generation falling into debt just to attempt to enter the workforce.

>$200,000 debt for an English degree to be a barista
>student loans not dischargeable in bk
>permanent wagecuckery
>more college administrators than ever
Yeah they know

i might become 20k in debt for an EE/ME dual major. is that worthwhile still?

yes it is

i've been told it's way too broad and that i should get a dual in EE/physics instead. is that true?

>tfw free University
Shame its only top 200 but this shithole finland doesnt have much better

Engineers and especially EEs are getting outsourced lad.

nobody gives a fuck if you double major.
study something that interests you.
education might be a "scam" (whatever that means), but to advance in many fields you will need an undergraduate degree usually in a relevant field of study (eg you can do fieldwork in archaeology with a history degree and you can work in aero with a physics degree)

im interested in math honestly. but im too scared of being seen as somebody without hands on skills with physical systems. i just wanna learn all there is about geometry, number theory, calculus, and algebra and see how they intersect

You get what you put into it really. The problem with college is that everyone goes into it thinking that there's going to be a job waiting on the other end for them, and that's the main reason they go, not to learn.

>You get what you put into it really.
Lmao this guy

It makes sense for some normies.

It makes sense for a lot of Veeky Forumstypes

It doesn't make sense for very many /g/ types

It is the only chance of success for /b/types

>Do you think college is on average a scam?

Yes and no. College can be both a good and a bad thing. There are two major problems I have with it though.

> "Basic" courses required for each degree
These courses are basic courses that teach the same things most people learn in high-school (English, math, history, etc.) They need to be cut completely. It's only a way for the local Uni's to earn extra money from government FASFA programs.
> Other degrees besides STEM-B (business - Economics, Accounting, Finance, etc.) should be cut from FASFA eligibility
If people want to pay for useless degrees in women's studies, then let them. The thing is, it should be entirely on them.
> Trade "basic" curriculum courses for hands on training courses
With "basic" courses being eliminated, the spot could be filled with hands on training courses that use current techniques being implemented in the field. This would give people the "real world experience" sought after by big businesses.

It is pointless for /r9k/ types