Im trying to get my promising nephew to like literature...

Im trying to get my promising nephew to like literature. He likes fantasy and adventure but I dont want him to read that Percy Jackson bullshit. What does Veeky Forums reccomend for beginner books?

Percy Jackson is a nice start

Stop trying to live vicariously you little shit.

You sound like a douche

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
The Hobbit
The Pickwick Papers
Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde
Don Quixote

The Tartar Steppe

Model yourself after the Greek mentor-pupil relationships and plow his tender boipussi while it's still ripe

Infinite jest

my diary desu

It's great if he reads at all, don't ruin it.

dont make it such a responsibility, like if he doesnt drop the books he likes and starts reading your high brow classics hes going to like disappoint you, or if it becomes a chore or something like that

just start talking about books, like why he likes them and which ones are his favorite, and you talk about your own favorites, then show him a beginner patrician book that you proceed to gift him

Anything by Roald Dahl
His works are fantastic, especially for children

Depends on his age?

If he's under 10, I'd say The Worst Witch.

... no, wait. I forgot to meme. Start with the greeks. Pic related.

How old? A Series of Unfortunate events was pretty darn good as far as i recall

how old is he? what does he read so far?
when i was a kid, i've read anythig i got my hands on. that was good. because that way i started to develope my own taste and learned to distinguish between pure crap and worthwhile lit. reading crap as a teen is not necessarily bad, aslong as some good or better stuff is mixed in.

How old is he?

Hit him up with Sophie's World when he is between 12-15.

whats wrong with Percy Jackson? I enjoyed reading them

and The Hobbit

Malazan book of the Fallen obviously

Mein Kampf :^)

Atlas Shrugged

Bottom's Dream is a good start

Sure, if you think dialogue straight out of a high school D&D campaign and exposition that reads like a tourism pamphlet or perhaps a for-dummies book is a good way to get onto the Veeky Forums path, I guess I could see that.

>how do I groom my nephew into liking the only thing I know about, so that I can eventually work my way into his pants?

It will depend entirely on his personality.

Bluntly: only that which he'd naturally like.

I, at his age (no matter how old he is), could easily have been leveraged into reading Veeky Forumsshit through the sheer power of my burning pseuditry. Another may not have this—advantage and will have to read something sufficiently fantastic, like Earthsea.

It was more about memeing a 12 year old into spending his time reading an 11,000 page series.

That was actually one of the first books I read lmao fuck

Percy Jackson books are good

I'd also rec the Chronicles of Narnia since he's into fantasy and adventure and since it's never too early to have some based C.S. Lewis in your life

The Hobbit is nice.

Lord of the Rings books are cancer for beginners, though.

Source: dropped it in 7th grade

>cancer for beginners

y's that

I'm sorry to have stepped on your toes. It could've been an excellent memeing.

Watership Down

Percy Jackson books are great. They got me into the greeks as a teen

>Lord of the Rings books are cancer for beginners, though.

Pleb. I powered through them when in 5th.

You're completely right though, it was mostly a chore at that age.

The Magician's Apprentice - Raymond Heist

>nobody has mentioned Robert Louis Stevenson, C.S. Lewis, or Jules Verne

pleb as fuck, Veeky Forums

It's actually really good.

And yeah, I'm partially recommending it because it's one of my fondest childhood memories.

Mainly due to the meme though.

Not really beginner, but if he likes fantasy/sci-fi and adventure you could do far worse

the hobbit
lord of the flies
alice's adventures in wonderland
boy
the ranger's apprentice if he likes fantasy
>C.S. lewis
no thanks
its a fucking chore now. still great books though.

Ezra pound cantos

Start him with the Greeks.

The Tale of Despereaux was my jam as a kid

Anime is better than genre fiction. Try that.

I read the hobbit at around 10 and within a few years I had read stuff like Mody Dick. It really awoke a passion in me.

DragonLance books are great if heavier material doesnt appeal to them but you still want a smidge of substance and vocabulary and there are a ton of them

stop posting pics of my girlfriend please, thanks

How old is he exactly? If he's at the age where he needs to be reading something contemporary and aimed at children give him A Series of Unfortunate Events since they actually have an interesting writing style to them that develops thematically as the series goes on.

If he can deal with the slight language barrier of books from a few decades a go just give him the obvious shit like Catcher in the Rye or The Hobbit.

G O A T
O
A
T

>tfw you will never be Sturm, cucked by Tanis to the point that you give your life on some wall for no reason
>tfw no hourglass eyes to see death in everything
>tfw no hoopak

kek

If he likes fantasy, introduce him to more challenging fantasy/scifi like China Mieville and Jack Vance, then start to move him into literary fiction and see if he likes it.

kinda hot tee bee H

How old's your nephew?

I enjoyed things like chronicles of narnia, hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, harry potter, eragon, roald dahl, series of unfortunate events, and the hobbit when I was a little kiddo.

Please don't ruin reading for him by force feeding him the patrician stuff too early

The real key is to not force it. C.S. Lewis and The Hobbit are great, I loved them when I was a kid.

my mom made me read this book when i was 8 lmao

Just get him to read /r/books' rec list

Get him into the classics like boku no pico and super lovers