Whats your favorite bible verse Veeky Forums? Mines Psalms 91:5

Whats your favorite bible verse Veeky Forums? Mines Psalms 91:5

used to be philippians 1:21 when i was a teen and in an evangelical space

now it's psalm 115

"Not to us, Lord, not to us
but to your name be the glory,
because of your love and faithfulness.
2 Why do the nations say, “Where is their God?”
3 Our God is in heaven; he does whatever pleases him.
4 But their idols are silver and gold, made by human hands.
5 They have mouths, but cannot speak, eyes, but cannot see.
6 They have ears, but cannot hear, noses, but cannot smell.
7 They have hands, but cannot feel, feet, but cannot walk,
nor can they utter a sound with their throats.
8 Those who make them will be like them, and so will all who trust in them.
9 All you Israelites, trust in the Lord— he is their help and shield.
10 House of Aaron, trust in the Lord— he is their help and shield.
11 You who fear him, trust in the Lord— he is their help and shield.
12 The Lord remembers us and will bless us: He will bless his people Israel,
he will bless the house of Aaron,
13 he will bless those who fear the Lord— small and great alike.
14 May the Lord cause you to flourish, both you and your children.
15 May you be blessed by the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.
16 The highest heavens belong to the Lord, but the earth he has given to mankind.
17 It is not the dead who praise the Lord, those who go down to the place of silence;
18 it is we who extol the Lord, both now and forevermore.
Praise the Lord."

the religion (practice) described in these verses is so pleasing to me. worship a Living God now, in this life. that is all i can reach for.

Micah 6:8

Matthew 6:25-34

25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:

29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?

31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

as a kid, i loved psalm 23

all great choices

Matthew 21 17

I never understood this "favorite verse" stuff. Is it a protestant thing? I can understand having a favorite book or story from the bible but not an individual verse.

The ones like these DESU.

Very numerous.

The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.
-Romans 13:12

>tfw
It's a protestant thing.
They don't have the capacity to think in big pictures to that have to have to remember evething in a simple numerical system.

Do you begrudge people for having favorite lines in a novel or poem?

>27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
Manlets BTFO

Genesis 1:2

I'm fine with that, but I would think it was weird if people routinely started conversations by asking what their favorite verse in The Road Not Taken is. If you ask me what my favorite story in the bible is I could tell you all about Jacob and his brothers, the story of Tobit, or Balaams Donkey. But favorite verse? That's a dumb question.

i only have a fav verse because i went to a christian school and we had to memorize loads of them. so naturally i had a few i liked better. orherwise, i agree with you but i don't really care. live and let live

Kek

Judith 9:11-12

the whole of Ecclesiastes

Came here to say this.

also,
>better never to have been born at all, but gone from the womb into the grave, unknowing
i'm paraphrasing there, but that verse is one of the more common recurring verses throughout the Bible; it's in Ecclesiastes, Job, the Gospels, and I believe Lamentations.
Besides the obvious proto-existentialist/absurdist theme, it strengthens me in a strange way and keeps me grounded.
Knowing that we all fall short of righteousness from birth reminds me to just do my best and lose as well as I can, try and live a productive and fulfilling life because I've already lost

It really is beautiful. It's so sad religion has been perverted by the powerful like it has, it's made people be distrustful of anything beyond themselves and left only a sentiment of the respect for the things they cherish.

>Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

I like John 14:20

Second Kings 2:23-24 really warms my heart

And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head. And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

I used to know a bible verse that taught you how to make a dildo out of clay, and fire it and everything, but I forgot it and could never find it again.

highly underrated post