I'd love to hear what Bill Gates thinks of IJ. He's a very acute reader

I'd love to hear what Bill Gates thinks of IJ. He's a very acute reader.

year of the helpful paper clip

Man, that was almost a good joke, Bill.

>I'm trying to discern if there's talent or not

This is literally the only thing I know about Bloom. He seems like an old fart.

mfw

What about dumbing down the American readers?

"I don't."

-Bill "Weed Is The Original Don of Dons" Gates

I'd rather hear a chronic reader's opinions.

bloom is a meme on Veeky Forums, but he's also a piercing, spectacular critic. even as someone who is wary of old jewish academics, i find myself agreeing with him more often than not.

Bloom.
Pros
>Based List in the Western Canon
>Based elitism
>Based taste
>Doesn't suck Joyce's dick 24/7 like Veeky Forums
Cons
>Sucks Shakespeare's dick 24/7 which is honestly better than sucking Joyce off but not as dank as sucking Proust or Dante
>Biased as hell when doing critique, which is often enough harmful since he assumes that there is more influence from Shakes than there is, etc.
>Completely disregarded the book that pioneers the most growing contemporary literary ideal

>>Sucks Shakespeare's dick 24/7 which is honestly better than sucking Joyce off but not as dank as sucking Proust or Dante
>this poster doesn't blow Shakespeare

I blow him, but you can't blow him as hard as Bloom does, that's fucking stupid.

i love his love/hate relationship with pynchon desu

Bloom is a hack. The Anxiety of Influence was barely coherent and could have been simplified to a few aphorisms without all the Freudian bullshit

>Bloom
>Doesn't suck Joyces dick 24/7

just stop, you have no idea what you are talking about

>Not even memeing the Flight to Lucifer
Bloom blatantly says in the Western Canon Shakespeare is best boy and Dante is second best bae.

you mean his good friend pynchon, an author for whom he has nothing but the highest of praise, and who is his very good friend by the way, a good friend of his is he

christ have you guys even ever read any crit by bloom

Yeah you can. Hush.

Reminder that you should never listen to critics who have never written a great work themselves.

And no, Flight to Lucifer does not count.

and it is probably a tie between joyce and wordsworth for third place

Reminder that you should never listen to anons on Veeky Forums.

>bill gates
>gigantic IQ and world experience
>look at his book opinions
>"This global thought leader and bland as fuck macroeconomic insider social science academic wrote a riveting 500 page statistical analysis of education trends and future globalisation challenges in the ecosphere climate and how we can help."

Who has better taste? Him or Veeky Forums

All the years of reading Romantic poets rotted Bloom's brain. He barely even discusses poems. Instead he makes broad, general, abstract statements about poet and quotes Freud. If he actually had anything worthwhile to say about poetry, he'd be a poet and not a critic.

the Freudianization of the Anglo-European literary-critical academy has irreparably damaged it

Honestly, i feel like Bloom is an idiot genius and his stuff is very fun to read. Thought-provoking and fun. You do admittedly learn more about his own views than about the works/poems he's criticizing, but his views are very interesting and coming from a very erudite person. It's like reading classy nonsense --- very classy, very nonsensical and meaningless. You have to just appreciate his work for what it is is you want to appreciate it at all: freeflowing and not necessarily always very correct essays.

I think intelligent people usually aren't entertainment media connoisseurs because they're spending all their time pursuing academic interests rather than cultivating hot opinions on anonymous anime forums. My second cousin has PhD from Oxford in zoology but he listens to absolutely nothing but Van Halen. The only two CDs in his car are Van Halen I and Van Halen II, which he listens to incessantly. My childhood neighbor got into Harvard when she was 16; she thinks Zadie Smith is the best thing since Shakespeare and regularly live-tweets Game of Thrones. Jerking off to Schoenberg and Sophocles won't make you smart, and being smart won't make you jerk off to Schoenberg and Sophocles.

He's basically Veeky Forums personified. Crusty, old, irrelevant contrarian.

I disagree. Intelligence/intelligent people don't suit one sort of ideal; intelligence isn't just consumption or lack thereof, its a slew of different interests and abilities. My best friend is doing her PhD in ancient history a Oxford and only watches reality tv shows and listens to celtic folk music; hates most people but is social and bubbly when the need arises.

There is an excessive problem, where the more you consume the more one thinks he/she is cultured i.e. knows how the world works, but acknowledgment of ones ignorance will equate to intelligence. Constant media consumption really bogs down ones mind, look at the current "nerd culture" most of those who are heavily invested in are knowledgeable about those respective fields and they can benefit from that, but overall, that information is absolutely useless, and the people tend to be pretty boring.

>art is just entertainment media
Found the pleb

In any case, it's forgivable if you do something else with your time, but the degradation of art is genuinely bad for society. There's no reason to not be indignant at the current state of literature.

When he is right he is pretty right but when he is wrong he is just being a moody teenage girl

Why suck Joyce's dick when you can inhale his farts?

>I think intelligent people usually aren't entertainment media connoisseurs because they're spending all their time pursuing academic interests rather than cultivating hot opinions on anonymous anime forums.
Unless, you know, literature is their academic pursuit.

>>Completely disregarded the book that pioneers the most growing contemporary literary ideal
it's not a con to disregard forced memes
>You do admittedly learn more about his own views than about the works/poems he's criticizing,
this is true of any criticism

Schoenberg is great, fuck off.

I go to a top 10 and most people here are utter plebs, so what?

Bloom is one of the only great literary critics. The rest are a pomo circlejerk.

You mean astute?

Have you ever felt the urge to use your superior taste and refinement to rule over them like a a shepherd does sheep?