Name a book more pretentious

Name a book more pretentious.

Protip: you can't

The Legacy of Totalitarianism in a Tundra

Ulysses

Man, we should write something again.

I can't. This book is probably the epitome of the narcissistic, hypocritical "epic maximalist novel" trend that has been gaining increasing traction ever since the release of Ulysses. Time and time again I see writers falling for this egotistical idiocy, in part because of a deep rooted inferiority complex, a lack of faith in their ability to say something, in art's significance -- the author is affected profoundly by modern society's capitalistic denigration of art and tries to lash out against it. However, this is the most hypocritical, superficial means of doing so. The writer tries to impose themself on society, to show how GRAND and MAGNIFICENT their artistic vision and sense of consciousness is, how WIDE RANGING and DETAILED it is, putting faith not in artistry itself, but above all, size, pointless complexity, and long idiotic lists of objects, playing into the very same superficial hierarchy that made them lash out in the first place. They secretly relish the idea of making the reader confused, of making them feel lesser to the writer, relishing it in the most immature and resentful of ways. "I have transcended capitalism and utilitarianism! I have transcended superficiality!" they say to themselves, ignorant to the fact that they done nothing of the sort, that their motiviations have remained virtually the same as the rest, drawn forever to the idea of their superior relationship to the reader and their identity as projected into the reader's head, and not to art itself, peacocking, like Wagner in his most despicable moments, as profundity and a grand sense of artistry.

Bottoms Dream
Finnegans Wake
Blood Meridian

I outta fuck you up for this

your lucky I've got shit to do

>Blood Meridian
No you're just a pleb

The God Delusion

Nothing posted so far beats it, not even Bottoms Meme. Keep trying.

Is this a pasta? Cause' it's perfect for this asstastic book.

Glad Veeky Forums has some taste when it comes to maximalist doorstoppers.

>is this pasta?
nope, it's just truth

Lol this rarely gets posted here. 1200+ page opium dream novel, 18+ years to write, and she was never heard from again.
A legendary failure, I wonder if a single person out there has read the whole thing..

I've read it user, finished it a few weeks back.

w-was it good?

Irene Iddesleigh by Amanda McKrittick Ros

Example:
>When on the eve of glory, whilst brooding over the prospects of a bright and happy future, whilst meditating upon the risky right of justice, there we remain, wanderers on the cloudy surface of mental woe, disappointment and danger, inhabitants of the grim sphere of anticipated imagery, partakers of the poisonous dregs of concocted injustice. Yet such is life.

Well it's pasta now, bruh. Shits gold, and that book is unbelievably repetitious. Pure fucking drivel.

If such a sublime cyborg would insinuate the future as post-Fordist subject, his palpably masochistic locations as ecstatic agent of the sublime superstate need to be decoded as the “now-all-but-unreadable DNA” of a fast deindustrializing Detroit, just as his Robocop-like strategy of carceral negotiation and street control remains the tirelessly American one of inflicting regeneration through violence upon the racially heteroglossic wilds and others of the inner city.

It was actually really good. The entire thing relies on sort of building this mythos and these characters who take hundreds of pages to describe. It reads like an epic and isn't too different than Ulysses as far as devotion to stream of consciousness (the others in this'club' would be Woolf, Faulkner, Stein, Wallace, Beckett)

The New York Trilogy

Ulysses isn't pretentious though. It's one of the most genuinely sincere and honestly inspired books I've read. Only dense folks that think it *must* be masturbatory bullshit for the mere reason that it goes above their heads think it's pretentious

no it's not

nice review

Wew, This thread is making me want to read it.

What's pretentious about riding the bus?

anyone who says this book isn't good and is pretentious just read the goodreads review that says that lmao. the book was great. I just wanted to get off the fucking bus though.

anyone who says this book isn't good and is pretentious just read the one goodreads review that says that lmao. the book was great. I just wanted to get off the fucking bus though.

i dont believe that you actually read that

its a little overwrought but its not pretentious

Of course I didn't, I read about 40 pages before dropping it.
Like the other user said, it's drivel. If anything deserves the label 'prententious', it's this steaming pile of shit.

>Reads 40 pages and thinks his opinion matters

pleb

>T. tortilla-fucking corncobber

Pleb

>tfw you will never be a bald one tittied stock market queen

On the subject of super long books that no one cares about, I feel bad for this guy.

nxt lvl bate

wtf that book sounds awesome.

ITT forgotten doorstoppers

Ulysses
Gravity's Rainbow
Infinite Jest

t. cornmac yetillas cobcarthy

have you read this? it sounds good.

Wtf is this? Veeky Forumscore as hell. And written by a female? Wtf