2666 appreciation thread

2666 appreciation thread

Is this good? My friend gave me a copy but I haven't cracked it yet.

At first it seemed pointless but when I finished I realized it was probably one of the best books I had ever read
You can tell Bolaño was a poet, and not a purple one
The last chapter was my favorite, sadly, is not really a finished work

It's pretty brilliant. Don't give up when you think it's getting boring.

The Part About the Crimes>The Part About the Critics>The Part about Fate> The Part About Amalfantino

Haven't started the last part yet but that's how I rank them so far.

The last part is the best

yes it is a book

I liked the part about Amalfitano, i would put ir over the part about Fate

Fucking monumental. It wont get much praise untill later on in the century because it doesnt present itself as a literary force like a lot of contemporary fiction that deals with important themes head on, 2666 is more like the lives and chaos of the world, the causality behind all the events that happen in it.

It lingered in my thoughts for weeks after I finished it. Throughout the year I periodically made my way through Bolano's oeuvre (or at least what I could get my hands on). I plowed through it in two weeks during a summer holiday and when I finished I felt underwhelmed. But like an inchworm, it made its way into my psyche where I kept returning to it to read certain passages. At first, I was ambivalent but then realised it may just be my favourite novel.

Part about Fate was is my favourite.

This .

Part about Amalfitano is the patrician choice

I'm currently in the part about the crimes. Fate's part was incredible, I loved how he managed the big fight everyone is expecting. A single line of text. And then no one talks about it.

Is it me or there is something Pynchonesque when he talks about all this underground conter-culture Afro-American collectives, like the Black Painters and such?

Or for example in the second part when he talks about this book that says that O'Higgins is an Araucanian, and Amalfitano is paranoid that it's all a conspiracy perpetuated by Pinochet.

Bolaño loved Pynchon didn't he?

Anyways, Bolaño is amazing, and it's sad that he doesn't get the recognition he deserves here in Chile.

Have you read anything by Zambra? He is described as similar to Bolaño. Chilean as well.

Agreed

Currently on Fate, Amilfantino was alright, I enjoyed the Critics quite a bit.

Really like Bolano's deceptively simple prose

>Bolaño loved Pynchon didn't he?

He said PKD was better than anything Delillo or Pynchon wrote.

Makes me want to hate him and consider him a pseud.

This... without that it would have been rather average

I think the problem is that everyone just cares about TSD and his personal "literary rockstar" aesthetic
No one reads 2666 because it is too long, and most people read his shorter stuff, that while it is good, is not on the same level that 2666, even his prose is much better in 2666 than in any of his other books

Neat, I own Bonsai, guess I'll check it out.

Source?
Thats a Borges-esque opinion, why are spics always so contrarian?

> Dick is the one who, in Ubik, comes closest to capturing the human consciousness or fragments of consciousness in the context of their setting; the correspondence between what he tells and the structure of what’s told is more brilliant than similar experiments conducted by Pynchon or DeLillo.

Because 2666 can't top Gravity's Rainbow???

Why do you think 2666 was supposed to top GR? They are not really that similar

You really think 2666 does the apocalytic better than GR?

Of course he's trying to the Latin American GR.

>that pic
Cringe

I'll add that I can't get past the first section, maybe because Wimmer's translation is so terrible or I just don't like Bolano's prose. I could try a french translation but I probably will not.

Whenever a writer comes out and dismisses a specific work or writer, they usually turn out to be hacks. DFW did the same with Pynchon. But notice how all the great writers just keep their mouth shout or only make positive comments about works?

I dont think he was trying to make the latin american GR.
2666 is not apocalyptic, latin america really is like that

>dismisses
He was basically just saying he liked PKD better

In my opinion the first part is the worst one, maybe try to power trough it

Bolano may have been influenced slightly by Pynchon but he didn't worship him. He loved PKD and Melville. As well some have theorised that Archimboldi is loosely based on Gaddis due to his rejection of the spotlight and cult following and some similarities with the titles the authors share.

I didn't care much about it until he started rambling on about geometry and the book being hung and he acted autistic about it. Really the only chapter's saving grace.

Fate's part was pretty fun especially when he got into detail about the black panthers and stuff.

Lalo Cura is cute, CUTE!

>Not Liz
Liz best girl and a kinky slut too

Bollocks. Writers dis each other all the time. See Nabokov's list, Woolf's dismisal of Ulysses and many more.

thats a great illustration, what the fuck are you talking about?

>not carpet girl

>poet and vagabund
give me a break

2666 is an actual work of literature

Thats what he was. He even put that on his "business" card. He considered himself a poet first and foremost; wrote as a means to support his family and took up many odd jobs so he could continue to write.