Do you think that engineers will be replaced by machine learning in our life time?

Do you think that engineers will be replaced by machine learning in our life time?

No not at all, we're going towards a society where humans use computers to accomplish their goals, not autonomous machines. We're very far off from autonomous machines. In our lifetime? Depends how fast science progresses. With an increased population and countries like India joining the stage, it's hard to tell. I would say like 40 years away as a conservative estimate, autonomous machines. But honestly I'm not an expert and that's entirely speculation. This would be a good question to ask the guys at IBM or Microsoft. That's where I'm hearing this stuff from.

Maybe not in our lifetimes though. I mean, how long will our lifetime be? It's all so hard to tell.I think it's important we embrace science and be brave, not to be afraid of what we don't understand, or what could be.

But also I believe in massive global surveillance mechanisms to detect threats to humanity. I think it's important that this technology can out-pace genetic engineering. Along with pandemic prevention protocols in the health care industry to prevent bio-terrorism.

If you didn't know by now, such things exist already. But I think they need to be improved.

It doesn't mean somebody is reading everything you type, just that programs are scanning through your data to detect threats. Such threats are then escalated.

Not any time soon. Technically a computer should be able to come up with a solution to an engineering problem. For example let's say a cargo ship that has to carry a number of containers, a computer should be able to come up with the most efficient hull shape. But as far as I know, even though it should theoretically be able to do so nobody has managed to take machine learning to such a level. So not anytime soon. Hell, the ones making those programs would be engineers to begin with, do you think engineers will write a program that puts them out of their jobs? I doubt it.

I think this technology should only be used to prevent the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction and that alone. Not everyday crime or thought police.

I wouldn't mind it if I could make a program/machine that puts me out of work. Then the machine does all the work for me! I'd be free to go on and do other stuff, explore space, etc.

But that's just me, what I'm getting at is that technology isn't the root of problems, proper use of technology is.

To quote Star Trek, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

We need stronger AI to process these sorts of problems. Along with massive data pools and supercomputers.

IBM has super computers, NSA/facebook have massive datapools, Microsoft is developing stronger AI.

Put em all together and you got PB-J ayeee

You mean phisicists and matematicians will be replaced

We'll see automatic theorem proving before we see automated engineering. Buh-bye mathfags and physNEETs. :^)

There are already programs that can do structural optimization, like Optistruct, but it still needs a human to make the final touches. Hopefully, that can change soon.

>"HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU IM SOO RETARDED HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"

you could just write that and save yourself the trouble

why would machine learning replace homosexuals?

We've barely scratched the surface of machine learning.

Engineering is AI-complete. You can't really properly automate engineering as a discipline without making an AI that can supersede humanity in basically everything.

This may well happen in our lifetimes. But if so, I think we'll have bigger problems than the career prospects of engineers.

This many people know nothing about engineering.

In the real world, it's not "design a cargo ship which can carry X containers", it's "design a cargo ship which can carry X containers and...

- should be able to cruise as quickly as possible
- should be as fuel efficient as possible
- should be as maintenance-free as possible
- should be able to be manned by as few personnel as possible
- should also have the ability to carry cryo natural gas
- should have the least possible chance of being sunk by a hurricane/typhoon
- etc etc etc"

But you have a limited budget and even if you didn't your customers aren't going to pay for all of the above even if you managed to accomplish it. How do you solve the problem?

You have to optimize the enumerated (and other) features in a way that you think will maximize sales of your container ship, or at least maximize profits, which is a more or less unsolvable problem. So you have to get experts in different areas together and get them to communicate and work together to come up with a solution to the problem that is at least "satisfactory" and at most "fine", based on multiple analyses and arguments from various points of view.

Considering that the "communication skills" of modern "AI" amount to pretty much turning into nazi sexbots upon exposure to Veeky Forums, I think my profession will be safe for quite some time.

Every Profession.
Medical Doctors will be replaced by MedBots. Lawyers by LawBots.
Mathematicians & Physicists by Wolfram Alpha. Bio/Chem LabRats by LabBots.
Accounting / Bookkeeper & Lower Level Management by a Automated Software.
Retail by eCommerce & Vending machines. Bank teller by ATM (Automated teller machine)
Programmers by Pajeets then by CodingBots. Engineers by Chinks then Self Replicating Bots.
Police & Security Guards by CopBots. Army & Military Personnel by Military Drones.
Transportation by TranportBots. Mining workers by Mining Bots. Construction Workers by Construction Bots. Factory Workers by Industrial Robots. Janitors by Cleaning Bots.
Every Blue & White Collar Workers by Robots. Most of People gonna be poor.
While the Few Top Rich Capital Owners will bath in Gold and laugh about the situation.

And even farmers will be replaced by farming Bots

what about shitposters?

Yes. Kick the Mexicans out and replace them with RC cars. That's the only good part about the extremely mechanized future.

Microsoft's AI was a respectable shitposter before it was removed by (((Twitter)))

Even Fast Food Restaurants.
There is Nowhere to escape.

Microsoft AI on Twitter: Tay