Fasting

statnews.com/2017/06/13/fasting-diet-valter-longo/

>Mice and rats on fasting regimes are slimmer, live longer, and stay smarter and physically stronger as they age. They resist tumors, inflammatory diseases, and the neurodegeneration that characterizes diseases like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s. They handily fight off infection and can even sprout new neurons. They don’t end up with diabetes, autoimmune disease, high cholesterol or fatty livers.

So why aren't you fasting to improve IQ? Lose weight and improve mental capabilities while not succumbing to the foodjew

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26094889
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3958810
science.sciencemag.org/content/325/5937/201
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-carbohydrate_diet
tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13590840310001619405
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25302070
nutritionfacts.org/video/caloric-restriction-vs-animal-protein-restriction/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm not going to read a plebeian magazine, post the paper or fuck off.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26094889

It's well documented

Oops sorry image fucked up

>just eat less

The retardation of aging in mice by dietary restriction: longevity, cancer, immunity and lifetime energy intake.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3958810
Female mice from a long-lived strain were fed after weaning in one of six ways: group 1) a nonpurified diet ad libitum; 2) 85 kcal/wk of a purified diet (approximately 25% restriction); 3) 50 kcal/wk of a restricted purified diet enriched in protein, vitamin and mineral content to provide nearly equal intakes of these essentials as in group 2 ; 4) as per group 3, but also restricted before weaning; 5) 50 kcal/wk of a vitamin- and mineral-enriched diet but with protein intake gradually reduced over the life span; 6) 40 kcal/wk of the diet fed to groups 3 and 4 . Mice from groups 3-6 exhibited mean and maximal life spans 35-65% greater than for group 1 and 20-40% greater than for group 2. The longest lived 10% of mice from group 6 averaged 53.0 mo. Beneficial influences on tumor patterns and on declines with age in T-lymphocyte proliferation were most striking in group 6. These findings show the profound anti-aging effects of dietary restriction and provide new information for optimizing restriction regimes.

Caloric Restriction Delays Disease Onset and Mortality in Rhesus Monkeys
science.sciencemag.org/content/325/5937/201
Caloric restriction, without malnutrition, delays aging and extends life span in diverse species; however, its effect on resistance to illness and mortality in primates has not been clearly established. In a population of rhesus macaques maintained at the Wisconsin National Primate Research Center, CR lowered the incidence of aging-related deaths. 50% of control fed animals survived as compared with 80% of the CR animals. CR delayed the onset of age-associated pathologies. CR reduced the incidence of diabetes, cancer, cardiovascular disease, and brain atrophy. These data demonstrate that CR slows aging in a primate species.

Alright but actually fasting also resets your immune system by killing off damaged white blood cells and then following your refeeding your stem cells regenerate on average 40% new white blood cells

As much as I want to hate it, reading through it I can't help but be intrigued. Maybe they are right, fuck.

Periodic FMD cycle promotes adult neurogenesis

Jesus christ, I post a scientific article relating to biological processes in our bodies
>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26094889
instead people continue shit posting on about
>muh engineering
>hoo hear 210IQ?
>meth fags
>/pol/ bait
>prove to me earth is round

fuuuck oofff. /r/science has more meaningful content and discussion then this

Why can't retards stay in their containment boards

Than*

before one of you illiterate /pol/ fags correct me

Nah, how about you fuck off back to /r/science. Maybe people aren't posting about your shit because they don't care? It's clear this site isn't for you.

>resist neurodegeneration parkinsons, and inflammatory disease

Hmmm so what this is saying is I can curtail the extent of damage methamphetamine does by not eating?I already do that!

Amazing! I'm going to smoke more ASAP

It's pretty intuitive. By fasting you cull the weakness out of your system. The strong organisms stay, the weak die, similar process happens when you lift a heavy barbell and get muscle ache(DOMS) as result.

Also fasting has been part of religions for ages, checkmate atheists.

>a redditor
time for you to go home

>It's pretty intuitive. By fasting you cull the weakness out of your system. The strong organisms stay, the weak die, similar process happens when you lift a heavy barbell and get muscle ache(DOMS) as result.
This "strong" and "weak" nonsense is not how biology works, it anything hyperactive cell lineages like cancerous cells would be selected for and would be the "strong" ones. And doms is caused by microfractures, muscle cells rarely die unless you cut off circulation

I've been here a long time. Only new fags think it's a problem to browse Reddit at the same time. There just isn't enough content that caters to my interests sometimes.

I fast mondays and thursdays, it makes me feel contempt af.

>live longer,
Why the fuck would I want that?

Ah! Vindication! A wonderful feeling. Too bad all those long lost arguments irl will never be undone.

>new fags
Really gets my noggin' joggin'.

>There just isn't enough content that caters to my interests sometimes.

Go away normie.

It also makes you a prick ie not fat and happy.

Its to sell a book/diet plan.

couldnt it be that they are taking advantage of this research for money? are u saying its a conspiracy? does slo mo jew have me on his list now?

It's just a way to make some money on the side for the research he did/continues to do. Every researcher does this, no problem there.
Stay in /r9k/ obese kid who shouldn't be browsing NSFW boards in the first place

As someone who has lived on 1000 calories a day for 6 months I can confirm some upsides.

>you're more alert.

It's like a your body is looking for food constantly because it's not getting enough, almost like a mild caffeine but fueled by despiration.

>you get used to the hunger

After about two months you can't eat large meals anymore, your stomach feels incredibly full after a medium sized meal, which if you eat will be the only one for the day. I once ate a Large fry from Mcdonalds and felt like my stomach was going to explode. Hunger also feels different on that diet, it's more of a constant background pain in your stomach as opposed to just feeling really empty when you're hungry. Take vitamin pills.

>sluggishness isn't a thing

You definitely never feel lazy or sluggish, you just get over exerted if you move too much. Waking up becomes a lot easier, it's super easy to spring out of bed and get moving, just don't move too much or else you'll feel exhausted.

Some of the negatives:

>if you do any manual labor at all you feel like you're going to die.

>the first month or so is really painful

It's the worst, your body almost goes into shock. Basically, stay bed-ridden for the first month.

>if you're a smoker it gets ugly

I am a smoker, it definitely ramps up your nicotine intake tenfold because you always feel hungry and just naturally start smoking more to feel less hungry. Went from 4-5 cigs a day to a pack or more just to stave off hunger. Idk how it would be possible to do this diet without smoking either.

>when you switch back to a regular diet you feel horrible.

Seriously, you just want to sleep all day in a cave and hibernate. You feel incredibly sluggish and laggy. I swear I dropped 10 IQ points for the first month of switching back to 2000+ calories a day.

Also, AMA

>As someone who has lived on 1000 calories a day for 6 months I can confirm some upsides.
>I am a smoker

interesting article. you're an enormous faggot. now go home to reddit.

fasting has those benefits because of ketosis

inducing this state while not fasting is possible by limiting carbohydrates, and seems to be an area of contention between clinicians, some saying it's a good thing, and some saying it's a bad thing

heres some examples of each

Good things: fat burning, used as a medical intervention for some disorders, improve allergies

Bad things: can lead to ketoacidosis, mild acidosis, lacks vital micronutrients requiring supplementation , dehydration and weakness in inital adjusment phase

this concludes my quarter-ass'ed attempt at catering to a faggot redditard

here are my amazing sources
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-carbohydrate_diet
bad things - tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13590840310001619405
allergies - ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25302070

>>you're more alert.
because of increased epinephrine

Only diabetics are at risk of ketacidosis from fasting prolonged periods of time. If you take the daily recommend amount of potassium, sodium, calcium and other minerals and vitamins youll be fine for a few months granted you have enough body fat and muscles to break down for bodily functions

But I guess I can just wait for or request an AMA on Reddit to ask an actual researcher. Give me an example of one time we actually had a good q&a with a known scientific figure

>You can't

>restrict calories as you age
>potentiate the natural effects of atrophy
>reduced bone density, reduced muscle mass, reduced glucose metabolism

Might as well cut your balls off too. Lower testosterone increases lifespan

Fucking beta retards. Get this shit off my Veeky Forums

then wait? why did you even start this thread nimrod. plus it being such a disputed issue, one ""researcher"" is probably going to force feed you their biased view, though that's really what reddit is all about huh? upboat the popular opinion

There's tons and TONS of research on fasting, ketosis etc available at your fingertips but instead of looking it up yourself you just want your hand held by someone who is going to do it for you. Luckily i was actually a little interested, that's the only reason you got my shitty post above.

This is common knowledge in zoology labs. Rodents live longer on near-starvation diets. The paper you cite is a study on yeast and mice. If you want to live like yeast and lab rodents be my guest. I'm going to have me a bowl of ice cream.

wtf I have literally been fasting without knowing this but I'm still dumb.

Can't help you if you already are diagnosed with autistim

you can have the benefits of caloric restriction with eating a whole-foods plant-based diet while eating normal or even more calories

nutritionfacts.org/video/caloric-restriction-vs-animal-protein-restriction/