Are videogames the endgame of literature?

Are videogames the endgame of literature?

I would wager they are

Videogames are the endgame of cinema, literature is still literature.

The Beginner's Guide will be the turning point where that's possible

>endgame
dropped

Video game developers are usually social justice warriors, and barely read books. Their ideas are subpar at best. Trying to fit story into videogames is like putting cactus in your own anus; you can do it, but don't do it please.

Video games are the ultimate gesamtkunstwerk. Or rather, they would be if video game designers weren't all retards or (wo)manchildren.

this tbqh
we need more non cucked game developers

get rid of pussy shit like undertale and bring more badass games like leisure suit larry

Remember carmageddon, that shit was good.

Considering not one completed piece of video game writing equals the middling genre fiction in a typical pleb bookstore, my answer would be no.

*clears throat*
It seems like you have been sleeping for the last few years

No, because most gamers and by extension, game developers are STEMfags and everyone knows STEMfags are artless automatons.

Video games will NEVER create anything coming close to any shit Pynchon has taken, much less his actual work.

I uninstalled this game within 3 minutes, I hope you're joking.

nigga have ever played metal gear solid 3?

Get out of Veeky Forums, manchild. I leave the shitty boards to come on Veeky Forums and here you are, shitting up every board you touch.

Let's be honest, writing a story for a video game is much more difficult than writing a story for a novel.

Dumb threads like these could be the endgame of Veeky Forums, so please go away

>implying Veeky Forums has been any good since 2011
it's the nature of the beast user.

what is the infinite jest of vidya?

The more money a medium costs and the more people involved in its creation, the harder it is to create genuine art. Video games cost a fortune to produce and require a fucking nation of programmers. It's gonna be a long time before it even holds a candle to literature.

Unoffensive children's book
Tom Clancy tier shit
Yeah because you write by panel, and under supervision of non-creative suits.

Lets say the ultimate in vidya writing is generally agreed to be Planescape. Planescape is basically RA Salvatore on a bad day. Vidya writing is garbage

The Last of Us. IJ is meme shit

/thread

As a storytelling medium vidya excels in using the strengths of its medium. Souls games for instance use environment, gameplay, and asset art to tell its story. City builders and map sims make you a god king to craft at will. Meanwhile Spec Ops: The Line or Bioshock:Infinite are supposed to be works of narrative art? pfff

vidya should never, ever be discussed here unless someone is doing what katawa shoujo did for an extant novel.

I unironically enjoy playing indie games developed by

Unironic answer:

The Witcher 3 has really good writing/characters, at least compared to the typical YA shit that's popular (The Hunger Games, Twilight, Game Of Thrones, Harry Potter etc.).

So I'm not trying to say it's GOAT or something, but it's definitely a cut above, especially for a video game.

what are some Veeky Forums video games?

posted this in /v/ yesterday

read a fucking book. you need immersion that can't be served by immature gaming with a fucking joystick waggling in your fingers, dammit. read a book and you will find all that you are missing. you want addictive gameplay? go for the shitty indie titles being milled out ad nauseum. terraria, stardew, spelunky, etc. the gaming industry takes itself so fucking seriously, when they can't even measure up to a god damn book. if you had one iota of sense, you fuckers would get this. story in a game is always going to be inherently flawed, because the ibteractive aspect of the game requires a break from the entire medium of a plot. you, as an entity l, exist in two mediums within a game, the one that exerts your will over the platitudes of order crafted by the engineers of the gameplay itself, and the one that has will exerted upon themselves, as the writers attempt to stifle your sense of independence with a cohesive plot. what happens is one of those contradicting aspects must bend the other to such a warped extent that they eventually grow out of the intended media of entertainment, and become either a chore, or utterly empty catharsis.

read a fucking book. play mindless games. keep them in their own boxes. AAA titles are doing their best to acheive two utterly disparate things, one, to become a compelling movie, the other, a compelling game of high stakes chess. in so doing, they become neither and thus are inherently unsatisfying.

bioshock series
hotline miami
stanley parable?

>hehe breaking the 4th wall
>woah hoh hoh watch out for that gag
>i wonder what zanny quip this next NPC is gonna say :^}
>LOLOL even the fights have jokes

thought I was in for some Earthbound-tier humor + feels + weirdness, but instead it was like four hours of endless cleverness.

Are video games the endgame of movies? The endgame of television? The endgame of radio?

No. The only thing that video games are the endgame of are video games.

Anyway, I think that video games are a perfectly good vehicle for story-telling. Not the best, not as good as books, but not always bad. Writing can be an issue though. Like I thought the Witcher 3 had pretty good writing compared to most games. I think Mass Effect had some moments of excellent writing (though there was a lot of bad writing and cliches too).

My only big gripe about The Witcher 3 is that I feel those games lean a little too much on the books for world-building. There were a few plot (and world) elements that threw me for a loop because the game didn't introduce them properly.

Video games can be philosophical but I'm not sure they can be literary.

Honestly? Shut the fuck up.

>endless cleverness
would you say, it was, dare i say it, an Infinite Jest?

>I think Mass Effect had some moments of excellent writing

Yeah that's a good one too. You can tell a fucking ton of effort went into storytelling and world-building and fleshing out characters in that game.

I think part of what sets games like Mass Effect and The Witcher 3 apart is that the games find ways to implement storytelling into EVERY part of the game, not just the actual main story. In The Witcher you get a glossary with backstories for all the main characters, side characters, AND monsters/enemies. Mass Effect has a similar thing called the Codex. Like, I bet if you added all the entries in those up, it would probably be a solid 200+ pages of writing, at least.

And also, in The Witcher, the game can tell stories in ways that actual books can't--for example, you enter an area, and you see a bunch of dead mutilated bodies, so you probably think "Hm I wonder what killed them?" and then you go a little deeper into the area and you find a pack of wolves or a monster or bandits, and then once you kill them you can look around for books and notes that describe in more detail what happened.

I mean it's not super deep or complex, but it is a form of storytelling that I think is unique to video games. And what's especially cool is when the things you find allow you to infer the locations of treasure/loot or other interesting things.

Honestly video games are good for storytelling, but more developers need to try and be innovative with the actual GAMEPLAY, because that's the biggest thing that is unique about video games, is that interactivity that other mediums don't have.

People are are way too focused on muh realistic graphics and "deep" stories.

100% how i feel about this

this is why painting sculpture literature and music are the zenith, and also why painting and sculpture have fallen off.

>world-building
>>>/sffg/

= another reason why capitalism should be replaced

>tfw no feudal economy with classicaly educated aristocrat patrons of the arts

???

Your definition of Veeky Forums is on par with a reader of comics or...dare I say it, a player of video games.

Morrowind with no mods.

daily reminder that the best games are the games which try to act like games e.g. tetris, super mario, donkey kong country, etc.

Metroid Prime series. Literally. You get a mini-encyclopedia of the world and the story which you can skip if you want to just be sucked in into the action and the athmosphere.

Elder Scrolls games because they books in them.

there's actual depth to the games I listed (though stanley parable is only there because of how unique it is)
you won't find many games more Veeky Forums those

>40 posts into thread
>no Bloodborne

This.

Choose your own adventure can only go so far.

People don't actually pay attention to games with successful mechanical metaphor like Bloodborne. They just get caught up in the lore.

I'm making a big mod for skyrim that has a whole new city to explore with its own lore and stories. The meat of the mod is the dialogue and most encounters and consequences are the result of what you say as opposed to just raising a dungeon and killing everyone. I'm an avid reader and I'm really trying to make the story and characters the best I can, I've been writing it for about a year. Do you guys have any suggestions on done literary techniques to help the writing?

Would you say the best books are the ones that try to act like books? Would your idea of a book then be defined by artists who had to struggle to be taken as legitimate or would you accept only practical literature?

see
That said, its narrative is within its own medium, not narrative.

*not narrated by prose or lyric

original literary fiction. Note how difficult it is to turn great novels into great movies, it works far better with genre fiction.

What's the difference between "genre fiction" and literary fiction?

Genre fiction is fantasy, sci-fi, etc.

Devil May Cry is the pinnacle of videogames

i think platformers are the purest video games

Literary fiction is an exploration of ideas, morals, and concepts through prose, whereas genre fiction "does what it does" (space battles, swords and sorcerors, crime, cowboys). There are novels that take place within a given genre that are literary, like Gene Wolfe for some, Stanislaw Lem for others, but in general they are paper thin in concept and execution.

Some vidya attempts to approach this (spec ops, walking dead, gone home) but it is done in a ham handed, bad way that goes back to , the profit motive.

No, it's not "difficult" to adapt a great novel into a movie--it's "impossible", because something that is truly original uses both the strengths and weaknessess of its material medium. It doesn't matter the medium. This is also why videogame movies suck even more than novel ones, because what makes a game good (and it's not only mechanics) needs to be translated by someone that understands what the game is doing, and this is even harder than with a novel because of the purely linguistic nature of it and the prestige and analysis the novel has enjoyed.

It's a mostly ideogical one. Basically, genre fiction depends on the conventions of the market. This often means speculative fiction, but the distinction is only superficial and falls into pieces when you actually look at the works themselves. It doesn't go farther than the 19th century and even then realism wasn't about being "realistic".

The only "genre fiction" there is is the fiction that doesn't itself define itself.

Underrated post. I really wish this is pinecone

Dwarf Fortress is going to generate entire mythologies in the next update and have the game's magic system reflect that. You can currently write songs and poetry that other people pick up and recite throughout the world (if the poetry is good).

You'd lose that bet because that idea is fucking retarded.

obtuse UI and underwhelming graphics will plague the game forever. \

Good UIs and overwhelming graphics limit what can be done through a medium.

What's your point?

If anything the inaccessibility just makes it more Veeky Forums

>would you say, it was, dare i say it, an Infinite Jest?
Is this correct? Should't it be:

>would you say it was, dare i say it, an Infinite Jest?

This to some extent

Not exactly. The end of literature is caused by the factors that make video games more attractive to everyone than good stories and beautiful prose. What is it that causes this lack of appreciation? I play video games and I read. I can do both. What was fostered in me that makes me different than people who avoid reading like an illness?

I guess people's opinions on what constitutes as a 'Veeky Forums game' will differ but here's a few I've played that I'd include:

- The Talos Principle
- 80 Days
- The Beginner's Guide
- Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist
- I Have No Mouth But I Must Scream
- Limbo
- Kentucky Route Zero
- The Cat and the Coup
- The Sea Will Claim Everything
- Year Walk
- Device 6 (iPhone)

In one way or another they all feature themes associated with ideas from philosophy, history, theatre, literary fiction or sci-fi.

Haven't played any Tales of Tales games but I hear they're good. Same goes for The Witness.

Souls games are not Bloodborne
BB>>>>>>DS>>>DeS>>DS3>>>>>>>>>shit>>>DS2
Bloodborne does everything better than the others. I can't think of a single thing Bloodborne fails in.
I hesitate to call anything an "experience" but i can't think of anything better to call it. Every single part is fantastic.
Journey can come close in some similar ways, but is not as affecting.