/shelf/ thread

Jung Edition.

Vanity is not a sin, show me your most special shelves or favorite books. Pic related is my cat sitting atop the salvation of Man.

Other urls found in this thread:

books
gutenberg.org/ebooks/4090
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Having a physical shelf

Look at Mr. Moneybags

have you even read any of those

Probably about half. I have a weird compulsion where I'm always adding new books so I don't run out of things to read.

M A G I C
M A N

>Cuckservative_How_Conservatives_Suck_Eachothers_Small_Cocks.pdf

Since when did Carl Jung become so popular among you goofballs?

How are The Myth of the Eternal Return and The Sacred and the Profane? I have both of them sitting on my shelves, but just have never gotten around to reading them...

Veeky Forums newfag here. How am I doing so far?

Top right I've read and top left I'm currently reading (or was when the photo was taken). Couldn't be arsed to move the /co/ stuff so feel free to get your bollocks in a twist over that if you must.

They are enlightening, but not revolutionary on their own. Campbell's Masks of God -- which I read first, and was a thunderous revelation -- covered most of Eliade's more interesting points. If you already have an idea of how to use mythopoeic tools, they may give you new ideas for freshening up a narrative and giving it a life of its own.

I hope so.

Been a fan for a couple years. I haven't seen him mentioned on Veeky Forums much.

What are your preferred e-reader platforms?

I like the mantraps on your bookcase. Lookin' bretty good user. Hope you've read that Cervantes, he's hilarious.

I've read (and enjoyed) Thousand Faces and Power of Myth. You saying I should just skip Eliade and just double-down on Campbell?

I also have The Golden Bough. I remember trying to read it a few years ago, but found it a bit advanced at the time. I only mention it, as it is so neatly placed between the two other authors...

Ughhhh I need to read more. So many books, so little time.

Eliade has some useful observations, but if you've read Campbell they will sound like variations on a theme. Still worth reading though, imo.

Frazer is kind of the same, but different. Lots of historical(?) anecdotes about folk traditions, rituals, taboos, but his conclusions aren't as useful as his recounting the source material.

>Swede
>no Strindberg

.mobi bc I put everything on Kindle

Can you tell me your thoughts on the Gnostics do you think they have uncovered the truth or is their value more in their novelty?

I've never seen so many unread books in my life

You forgot to buy "From Ritual to Romance".

>dawkins
>tokien
>catch-22
>dawkins
>asimov
>assorted genreshit
>american psycho
>DAWKINS

burn 90% of this and start over

why do internet detectives think that every book has to be broken in by a fucking mongoloid in order to look "read"?

1/4

>having a dedicated shelf
Sharing is caring comrads

I'm starting to run out of space - not pictured is The Assault on Reason by Al Gore, White Noise, and a number of pulp novels that have found their way under my bed, in a box until I get another shelf.

>2017
>purchasing physical books

HAHAHAHHAHAHA 12 YEAR OLD POSERS DETECTED

>Vanity is not a sin
I'm pretty sure it is actually

>God Delusion

Does my shelf have enough memes?

Have you read every book? There's some trash in there but that's decent.

Is the Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's book on the top “Cancer Ward”? It's a good collection, I'm glad it doesn't contain “The Iliad” and “The Odyssey”. I prefer shelves with a coherent choice of books. It's fine to have several unrelated books but I hate it when it looks like a “starting guide” list with irrelevant titles. Here it's clear you appreciate English poetry and post-modern fiction, and that's neat.

What an epic shelf OP, i'm jelly.

Damn, it's been a long time since I've seen a Great Illustrated Classics

You got me there. I'll see if my relatives has some of his works.

Really? Well, I'm making good progress at least. 150-200 pages a day on average.

Do you know of better books on fedora tipping or are you just salty theists?

No, I've only read the top shelf. The Alchemist and Robinson Crusoe was kinda shit and I know Divergent is no good (it was a gift) but the rest are mostly classics and award winners so if there's trash among those then sucks to be me I guess?

>I reject the existence of a God or higher power I can't prove doesn't exist.

Fuck off cuck.

Cuck, cuck cuck cuck.

Have you read Jerusalem yet? I'm still wondering if I should buy it.

I just don't see what value the God Delusion has as literature considering it's just a fedora tipper making attacks on strawmen for 500 pages. Can you explain what purpose it has? It's just a big ego trip. Self congratulation on how smart the author and all the readers are. Pointless.

my shelf.

closeups 1/5>>

2/5

>Anime Alice in Wonderland

3/5

4/5

5/5

It's worth it, she's sexy as hell

Wew user has a copy of Bottom's Dream.

>hasn't read at least half of Schmidt's work and posts on Veeky Forums

baka desu

There's no epub and I'm poor.

Equally impressive memes and picture quality.

King of secondhand books and genre fiction

Had to get out my periscope for this one.

there's like 1 english poetry book in that pic

the nortons are all novels besides dante and heaney, and the shelley is frankenstein im pretty sure

fair

two of his novellas (Enthymesis and Alexander) and the introduction are available in full in this Google Books preview books google com / books?id=zLd98uqCO84C (the missing pages before the first pages of each story are blank pages (which I can confirm since I own the book physically))

>Can you explain what purpose it has?

Well personally I have a boner for rhetorics and logical argumentation and was pleased enough with his various debates and interviews to try his book. So a form of ego stroking if you will.

The actual purpose though I can only presume would be to serve as a wake up call to theists on various religious issues; the unlikelihood of gods existence, the nature of religion, debunking various religious arguments etc. Convincing people to fundamentally change how they view reality should be purposeful and valuable enough, but the most important things he did in the book was highlighting various ethical and practical issues regarding childhood indoctrination, religion being involved in politics etc. Those are the stingers that makes the book a necessity.

Supposedly the book was successful in deconverting tons of people around the world when it was first released and skyrocketed Dawkins into becoming the face of atheism, so even if one disagree with him one can't exactly deem the book valueless and pointless. That's my take on it.

>Can you tell me your thoughts on the Gnostics do you think they have uncovered the truth or is their value more in their novelty?

I think the Gnostics had the right idea for a psychological model of the human mind laid out in cosmological metaphor. The church fathers who made doctrine at Nicea misunderstood Christ. Man CANNOT live in the sacred, he is a creature of shadow and light. Pretending the shadow does not exist creates neurosis: witness all of Catholicism's dysfunctional history.

I especially love the struggle of the Cathars in the Middle Ages, and the Yazidi who are stoned and enslaved even today for believing in a 'peacock god' of illusion whom their Arab neighbors associate with the devil.

>pretty sure vanity is a sin
Which is it user? Is it a sin, or not? And why? If your answer is biblically revealed wisdom: is wisdom that comes without experience really wisdom? You are in a safe space, user. You can be a little vain if you want. I won't judge you. That was the gist of my meaning.

Sorry I made you jelly. Thank you for the compliment.

dank shelf, user.

deSade! Have you finished 120 Days? I've heard it said people who start a deSade book never pick it back up. It's true in my case, with Justine. So far. Just finished Lolita, might have to go back to it.

Nothing wrong with genre fiction user. Ringworld is an old fav. Pretty blonde shelves.

>why do internet detectives think that every book has to be broken in by a fucking mongoloid in order to look "read"?
THIS. I am extremely careful with most of my books. I don't fold covers over, and keep the books either in my hands or on a shelf.

I'm not big on Arthurian legend. The Grail is an abstraction based on flawed religious ideas, anyway. I'm already on my own Grail hunt, and I'm getting close.

For those who are interested, From Ritual to Romance can be found in plain text on Project Gutenberg.

gutenberg.org/ebooks/4090

How is The Masks of God, OP? I've been considering buying the set for the past little bit.

I've read it twice in the past eight years, and it's about time to read it again. To be honest, Campbell meanders at times. But those wanderings are not always fruitless. He frequently references Leo Frobenius, who is slightly dubious, but Campbell's own analysis is remarkable. He makes connections of numbers, names, and themes across civilizations as a matter of course. Lots of pictures, but not too many. Masks of God, as you might discern from the volume titles, follows human systems of belief from their geographic origins and by epoch. My take away: we're entering into an age unlike any before, and a [proper, ethical] system of belief that can survive it has yet to appear. Maybe someone can make an app.

Goerges Orwells, Richard Dawkins, J. R. R. Tolkien, Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore? I wouldn't call the decent science-fiction you have “classics” as well.

How stingy is Veeky Forums with deeming something a classic anyway? I'm going under the assumption that 90% of the middle shelf (bar the comics) are classics.

Most of the sci-fi are Hugo or Nebula winners, written by authors who won those awards or in general are praised to the same degree as the award-winners.

Incredible how you picked up books you can't/won't read AND a meme compilation. Patrician shelf tbqh

There's room for interpretation, and I guess we can argue on whether Bret Easton Ellis, Joseph Heller or Yann Martel are authors but yes, most is literature. Concerning the prizes, I wouldn't put too much credence in such an institution, especially in science-fiction where it has little to no meaning. A book is popular? Elected within a restricted college of “writers”? Does it mean it's worthwhile? The last Nobel prize of literature is a red sign when it comes to the actual relevance of such awards. J. K. Rowling, G. R. R. Martin, Neil Gaiman, worth multiple Hugo awards? Seriously? There's a pool of roughly fifteen writers who kept making the short-list for nearly the last two decades. It doesn't tickle you?

>This will be so funny haha
>Has a straight face taking photographs of empty self
>Here comes the ringer guuuuys
>haha
*GetItTheyAreAllLikeTheHardestMemeBooksIKnow.jpg*
IRL you probably are one of those insufferable people to be around that think of themselves as really witty and funny

Cross-referencing between Hugo winners, Veeky Forums rec charts and general recommendations has served me fine so far. The SF Masterworks imprint seems to have a decent enough quality control as well, hence why there's so many of those. As a newfag I don't really have much else to go by since seeing patterns and developing intuition to find the worthwhile stuff takes experience. I'm highly experienced in other media so I know popularity is an unreliable metric to find the quality content. And no, I can't say it tickles me much (for now) since I'm clueless to what gets snubbed in favor of those 15 writers. Nothing being able to beat out Rowling in any given year seems bullshit though.

is this autism?

How am i doing?

Nice i ching

Cheers, it's the Richard Wilhelm translation and I should mention that it has a good introduction by Jung considering the theme of this thread.

That Middlemarch is very thin - is it abridged or something?

whats in the lockbox senpai? better be recreational drugs desu

The rest of It's cancer ward, solid book, very bleak typical of his work.
There's pretty much no poetry in view though, nor in the rest of my bookcase.
Only one I still need to finish on that shelf (even start, so no I have no clue.
>No Women and Men
4/5
ty

>deSade!
Nope, I've only seen the film so far. I didn't realize it at the time but the publisher for the book I have is one of those shady publishers that just releases out-of-copyright things, and the quality is really poor, there's even typos on the back cover. I think I'll get the Penguin edition of it that just came out and read that.

Hehe

lads how high should I let this get? it will touch the ceiling by the end of 2017.

Build an entire wall.

neat

No, it's a norton critical and as far as i know they don't have any abridged editions. Also, it has very small type and small margins. It is hard to see from the picture but the paper has a lot of bleed through similar to a bible and the paper feels exactly like a bible. It's actually over 650 pages. It's based on the 1874 edition.

>Unread copy of Infinite Jest.

Best part is i bought it used.

Funny though how every shelf thread some asshole does the exact same thing. Are you that asshole?

What did you think of I am a cat? Been thinking of picking that one up, it looks cute.

You really like Rome don't you

did you take this off of r/books or something?

patrician taste in gba games. that kirby and wario are both phenomenal.

not a fan. also,
>cloud atlas

For Sale: Infinite Jest, never read

No, this is my actual shelf. Never been to r/books since reddit's format angers me.

Also, fuck you too.

It's read mate, it's an hardcover, that spine doesn't crease as easily as your fragile ego.

Should I get the Meme Machine?

my bookshelf after college

Let me guess, computer science?

Looks like my bookshelf after third grade. I don't mean that in an insulting way, I have really fond memories of those times and I'd like to go back to reading for fun like I did then.

>tfw you can't post your shelf because you have a lot of Everman's Library books and Veeky Forums will make fun of you.

Christ, that Harry Potter book is fucking huge. People read that shit?

>Best of 2600
10/10 m8. I like your taste in fiction.

Thanks for delivering on the lockbox question! GB games on point.

I'm guessing you don't have a cat. How much do you like your TV? I'd build a shelf, guy.

The bottom shelf is for pleasure reading and farming story ideas. Of course I started with the Greeks, but the Roman people are more like us. They've had their share of constitutional republics and fascist romances. My beloved United States are going down the same road.

Blackmore's book is about 20 years old now, and the concept of the meme as a self-propagating idea is much better known now (I think). If you fought in the Meme War, you get a pass. Haven't finished reading it, but Blackmore wastes more time bashing her critics than I am comfortable with. Pick it up if you are a Dawkins fanboy or want to research 'viral ideas' before using them as a plot element of your litfic.

>Band of Brothers
You're alright, user.

Don't get it twisted, f a m. Those hardcover HPs are enormous wastes of whitespace. They are ridiculous-sized to evoke spellbooks or arcane tomes, I think. Plebs gotta get their heretical thrill.

Rate muh philosophy shelf

>did u even read Neechee?

Forgot the pic

?

everymans library is alright. i dont know what you are stressing over.

but you shouldnt be posting them regardless because its a lame /soc/ poster thing to do. all tha real 1s neva post

hows necronomicon? i sprung for the barnes and noble classic edition instead cause the necronomicon looked like it was in pretty poor condition and would only get worse.
also, how's the revenant?

>reddit filename
>people still take the bait

what do you do if you have bunch of YA novels left over from elementary and middle school Veeky Forums?
a lot of them were gifts so i dont really want to just give them away. i dont even know who id give them to either.
im thinking i just put them all on the bottom shelf.

I have some old books with sentimental value in a box in my closet. My shelf has limited space and I periodically give books away to the poor so this is the best solution

r8 Trumps white house /shelf/