Why do you read?

Do you read books so you can impress* your friends**?

Do you read books to escape from your problems?

Or do you read books to improve yourself by taking the lessons of the humans who lived before you?

*feel superior to others
**random anonymous users on the internet

Aesthetic pleasure tbqh famalamadingdongdoodle.

It's fun
TV is boring and every show turns into a soap opera
Video games are too addictive
Movies are mostly shit

Reading is the ideal pastime activity

I read to fuck boipussies

>Or do you read books to improve yourself by taking the lessons of the humans who lived before you?
This. I don't have friends and I have video games/sleep if I wanted to escape.

I read to experience getting cucked without the danger of actually getting cucked. Jokes aside, this is one of the reasons I read, in a sense it's pretty much escapism but it's an often an escape to a reality much harsher than mine. In another sense nothing is more comfortable that reading War and Peace in your own house

Verily reading helps me to understand language better and thus ingratiate myself with others through course of wordplay. I am certain it does not impress them, however.

Delving deep, I mainly read to escape from my problems. TV and vidya doesn't work.

>Verily reading helps me to understand language better and thus ingratiate myself with others through course of wordplay. I am certain it does not impress them, however.
Ya, not many real people like Nietzsche.

because i find humans and life interesting and i like stories.

How heinous.

Because it interests me.

i read book to find new cool sentimental stuff to do and say to my gf
so option 3 i guess

to understand the world a little more

to know wtf i am talking about if i open my mouth (for example, you shouldn't engage in a discussion about christianity without having read the bible)

To empower myself in some way, depending on the book.

but why do you want to know what you're talking about?

>Movies are mostly shit
Gotta disagree with ya here, seems like you haven't really delved into the medium of film/movies if that's the conclusion you're drawing. Unless you're talking about the stuff that's generally out in theaters now, there is tons of good stuff out there. Some of it entertaining, some of it thought-provoking, and much of it both.

I read because I always have. No point in stopping a good habit.

I read because I like teaching myself things and school often times got boring.

Plut it's fun, movies, TV and vidya all get boring.

Reading has always been an escape from life. I used to think it was the mundanities of existence chased me into the pages of a novel. But I began to see recently that what I'm trying to escape from isn't boredom, or lack of adventure; It is life itself. I don't want to die. (Surely if I did, I would try to end my life)
Instead, I just want to cease living. For the sake of comprehension, I'll reiterate, I want to not be me. It's escapism, in it's most typical form. From what I've seen of life (which isn't all that much) that's what it is; a series of small escapes. Life is distractions followed by different distractions.
Drugs are one such distraction, so are parties and hobbies. I don't have a dealer, friends, or any real interests; So books and reading are my preferred distractions.

To pretend I am no alone.

because it feels hollow to talk about "what you've heard" or are assuming

Always liked reading as a child and when I used to work as a security guard during college and usually nothing happened for 8 hours, so I bought an e-reader and put some books on it. I never read as much in my life as I did in that time and I had the time to read books I probably would have never read in my spare time. It really evolved my senses for books and nowadays I read them for my personal pleasure. I usually drop lines from books in arguments that nobody understands, so I might appear as someone that reads for reason number one, but that usually is totally unintentional. I like to think that I read books for myself and improve myself.

I read because I love to read.
>mfw when my best friend doesn't read
>at all
>not a single fucking book
>ever
Although I've mostly come to terms with it, sometimes when I'm confronted with it in a bad spot, I'll get a legit anxiety attack. I don't know how to deal. I'll beg her to read- I'll even do the whole bartering thing: "Okay, what if you only read a short story? It's only 20 pages long! O-okay, then just three pages! If you don't like it you can stop!"

To pass the time tbqhwy

>Do not read too many books
Says the guy who loved books and always kept a few stacks on his bed.

first rule of dictatorship:
discourage knowledge.

I genuinely love to read and am apparently driven to intellectually challenge myself but I'm also a weirdo loner hermit with a litany of mental issues.

Mao read too many books and became fucked up in the head. So he warned others not to do the same ;)

'do u nut u read u to u many u booksu ... N u n ... U u uExcept u my leadbook' quote donutpedocuq, master sul #gookracismyearreinvestigationinthetercelohtetraheadthoncorizio

Video games bored me, TV has never been interesting, movies are pretty good but I'm bad at just sitting there with the feeling that I'm not doing jack shit, at least reading feels like I'm doing something. I love music as well but sitting around playing an instrument all day gets stale pretty fast, so books is the way to go.

Also, books can bring great life lessons and give me more subjects to think about during the day.

It feels better to finish a good book than it does to beat a videogame or finish a movie. The imagination of the mind is much more free in a book.

I read because I feel like a total fucking brainlet. I also know that reading is good for you (brain health, fewer mistakes in writing and speech and just general knowledge of the world) and whether you enjoy it or not you should read books.

I Recently started again cause I had too many free periods and I needed a way to spend some time.

Because it's beautiful and I'm in love with it.

I thought Mao was Veeky Forums as fuck? Or am I thinking of another dictator?

I find reading to be the most rewarding form of entertainment.

Have a (You), user.

Because they're fun!
Fun things are fun!
Just imagine I posted a generic anime girl to go with this post.

>ywn be this comfy

because i think

I'm going to sound really pretentious, but typical stuff that people do in there spare time irritates me. I never talk about my readings besides with my brother

Escapism and nothing else. I love the feeling of getting absorbed in a book only to find out that 5 hours passed and I can go to bed

>Verily reading helps me to understand language better and thus ingratiate myself with others through course of wordplay. I am certain it does not impress them, however.
I bet you write avengers fanfic in your spare time, don't you! ADMIT IT!