Typing Thread

>Use blank template to color code fingers and buttons to show how you use the keyboard
>Take typing test and post WPM

typingtest.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

play.typeracer.com/
10fastfingers.com/typing-test/english
youtube.com/watch?v=62l64Acfidc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

there are at least 5 trackers on that page

OP here

>wpm 125
>adjusted wpm 119
Not sure how my finger layout got so screwed up

play.typeracer.com/

Pretty sure there isn't. Use this link instead if you want. This is what streamers use.

>they say it wont but it is

I dont like this one because you can memorize the passages. I prefer random generators.

10fastfingers.com/typing-test/english

Record on amphetamines, normally im around 125 0 mistakes

I got 86 on the OP test (1 error) and 91 on the typeracer test (1 error). I probably could have gotten higher if I had mashed me head against the keyboard and gotten 5 errors like OP

Doing about a 100, but I don't see where you get this color map.

I'm kinda interested to find out what my layout looks like, as I'm self trained and don't use the home row.

Yes, like all these things it's supported by info statistics - whaddya expect? At least this one doesn't ask for an e-mail address to spam.

Wait... I'm retarded... HTF is it going to know which finger I'm using on which key?

Bleh, also been up for about 48 hours...

This typing test is a piece of shit, sometimes those little blue repeat buttons grow to the size of the entire box and cover up the text.

The default 10fastfingers test is just a bunch of easymode top 200 words, it contains no punctuation or anything, so you get an over inflated score.

yea i agree actually, i like type racer way more than 10fastfingers now, although ive done ~20 tests in type racer and already got a repeat passage. Averaging 125 on type racer

How did you turbospeed fags acquire your typing skills? I feel like I've kinda plateaued right now, my typing speed in tests using real text is about 50-60 WPM, while in test like 10fastfingers, it's 80-90 WPM. I practice typing for 20-25 minutes every day. For the record, I only learned to touch type when I was 19, so relatively recently.

>use nothing but index fingers except for modifiers/space bar
>still >100 WPM
Is it even worth learning to type properly at this point

>1 error
Yes it is then.

playing MMOs in my early childhood taught me really, runescape specifically. Other than that i dont know. Right now i am limited not by how fast my hands move but by how fast i can read

I see. So basically I should focus on things that put a high pressure on me to type fast, like typing in the chat in an MMO. I suppose typing games where I can actually die if I don't type fast enough, as opposed to typing tests, where I will get a score no matter how slow my typing is, would be good for increasing speed.

i don't type as fast as you (80 wpm) but typing with all of my fingers is maximum comfy, especially since i don't have to look at the keyboard

to get better at typing fast, just practice typing
grab a pdf of your favorite book (hopefully not the one with no letter e) and just go as fast as you can
it's like learning to speedread, you have to practice going faster than you hope to actually be competent at

>just go as fast as you can
That is kind of the point, typing really fast in a setting where you are forced to go as fast as you can is easier than doing a usual typing test and trying to go fast; in the latter case, I just go back to typing kinda fast when my error rates skyrocket.

This typing test fucking blows. I am literally too fast for the flash app to register some keystrokes. Also it doesn't include as many capital letters, commas, periods, or enters as the other one.

I'm a weird case, as I'm entirely self taught and still do ~100WPM with about a ~0.5% error rate (cuz I can't spell for shit). This kinda leads me to believe that the method they generally teach is not the best for everyone (I know it's not for me). I don't use the home row... My wrists move more, and my hands, when at rest, are generally over the WASD movement cluster (muh gamers), and the lower bits of the right hand of the keyboard, further to the right (I guess, in part, for quicker access to the enter key, even though the punctuation keys aren't exactly common use...) It'd be a lot of effort to color code map my finger-to-key pattern, but it'd be pretty far from the classic one shown in the second post.

Also, despite the WASD rest state I find myself using, it isn't quite true that I learned through high pressure video games, as I grew up in the 70's and 80's. WASD didn't really become a thing for games until the late 90's - so I'm not absolutely sure if the WASD rest-state was adopted by me later, or if I've always done that. (I'm also discovering, in my old age, that this method may not be the most optimal for wrist health - I do sometimes find my left wrist aching.)

Back in high school, they made me take a typing class, but the teacher quickly gave up trying to discipline me and just let me do my own thing, as I was already the fastest in the class.

In the end, however, almost no one has a need to type that fast. Your own 60WPM is plenty fast enough. Unless you're trying for a career as a secretary that does a lot of dictation, there's really not much point to being able to type faster than say 50WPM. I suppose, if you really want to type insanely fast, you'll have to learn to stenograph, where 250WPM is the norm... Downside being that only a scopist can figure out what the hell you just wrote, but these days, a computer can do that for you in real time, so your output is actual English.

youtube.com/watch?v=62l64Acfidc

Arguing with niggas on Runescape. I type at a rate of 146WPM and I never formally learned touch typing. I don't even use anything even close to the correct form. I use three fingers on my left hand and four on my right. It's just how things naturally developed and years of being a keyboard warrior have caused me to type fast enough that nearly everyone I've met has commented on it. I don't think formal touch typing form is necessarily any better than whatever comes naturally to you.