Best female writers?

Best female writers?

Other urls found in this thread:

taramandala.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/MachigsStory.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Never heard of this one. What's she like, op?

Norwegian Nobel laureate who was an atheist then converted to Christianity.

Flannery O'Connor.

I fancy Simone Weil myself.

You can delete the thread now.

How did one become an atheist in the era of black and white photography?

Are you serious? There have been atheists since people existed.

Currently reading "Waiting for God," what are your thoughts on her doctrine?

Virginia Woolf is the best 20th century author of either sex

Only female writer that I ever liked was Evelyn Waugh. The rest of them are all cancer.

they all kinda meh. Woolf was original, but boring.

This desu

Woolf's good, but The Waves and To the Lighthouse encompass all you need to know about her.

I'd nominate Annie Dillard. I haven't read any of her fiction but between Pilgrim at Tinker Creek and Teaching a Stone to Talk I'd say she's one of the most competent stylists as well as a rigorous and impressive spiritual thinker.

>Woolf's good, but The Waves and To the Lighthouse encompass all you need to know about her.

This user is right btw.

Read these two and you can tap out from Woolf without missing much.

>Implying Orlando wasn't her best work
The Waves woula worked better as a short story, Ulysses works well because it changes the style as it goes, while the Waves keeps on the same for two hundred fucking pages and it isn't even that fucking interesting.
This is your brain on oxygen deprivation.
Accurate.

>>Implying Orlando wasn't her best work

How are you this shit at reading? Yikes.

The Waves > To the Lighthouse > Mrs Dalloway > the rest

>How are you this shit at quoting?
Honestly can't see what y'all like in the Waves, Orlando was at least interesting in style.
The Waves
>'Random autism' Bernard said 'More random autism'
>Muh father a banker at Brisbane
Orlando
>Now, we ain't really sure what happened, but most evidence points towards this.

You are all wrong, my dudes.
This is the best female writer.

>implying you can't reduce any of the great literary works to autistic meme arrow one liners

>>'Random autism' Bernard said 'More random autism'
>>Muh father a banker at Brisbane

You post like a memekid clown. What are you trying to say here? Use your words, son.

Sure.
The Waves tries a style whose entire features are a fast paced change in perspective and internal monologuing. The philosophy of it is shallow, and the prose isn't fantastic.
Orlando, on the other hand, features this tasteful blend of a "bipography" and a narrative, meaning that the author jumps from knowing what characters spoke and what they thought to describing events superficially and admitting that they can't do it better since there's a lack of evidence. It's also a lot more fun, since it lacks all the repetition you find in the waves with philosophical thoughts and "muh father a banker at brisbane" every three lines.

The Waves was insanely ambitious and still really good. Not many authors have managed that combo

>Perpetually insecure about her own talent, considering herself to both be talentless and dumb despite her achievements saying otherwise
>Died unconvinced of her own genius
>Considered friendship a miracle to the point of seeking it being presumptious
>Had no one to talk to except a priest, which she couldn't help but hint at her own loneliness and self disgust in the letters she wrote him
>The warmest robot
"To some people, I do not exist, I am the color of dead leaves, like certain unnoticed insects."

B-but muh vagina

She was too good for this world, the closest thing to Socrates the modern day has seen.

Why are you reading Woolf with any mind toward her philosophical pithiness? She is often mawkish to such an extent that it is even amusing at times. That isn't why I personally read Woolf. It's a fair point of critique, sure, but I'd shrug it off all the same.

People are born atheists, my man. Also, she didn't convert to christianity – she converted to catholicism.

Are you just trying to insult catholics or you really don't realize that catholics are christians?

>People are born atheists, my man

shoe atheism lol

Cristianity is a religion. Within christianity you have churches, such as the Catholics, the protestants, the anglicans, etc.

To the Lighthouse > Mrs Dalloway > The Waves

I'm trying to insult. The pope is the anti-christ desu.

It still makes more sense to use the words the same way everyone else does instead of making needless confusion

Machig Labdron without a doubt. Nobody can beat her writings. I dare you to try.

"
I am the women who has realized the deep meaning of everything.
Whatever appears from monsters to gods, see it as a miraculous display of your own mind.
Then all that appears will be friendly to you.
I myself, wherever I reside, at all times am surrounded by a divine
assembly

You must act;
Like a child with perfect spontaneity,
Like a madman unconcerned with what is socially acceptable,
Like a leper unattached to his own physical well-being,
Or like a wild animal roaming about in lonely and desolate places

As long as there is an ego, there are demons.
When there is no more ego,
There are no more demons either!

If there is destruction of hope, there is freedom from gods; if there is destruction of fear, there is freedom from spirits and demons.
Free from the extremes of knowledge I know the ultimate nature of all phenomena.

All phenomena—the external world and the internal
world and the beings that inhabit it—down to the tiniest hair are without inherent existence since the beginning: they have the nature of voidness.

Now free from the veil of emotional disturbances.
All appearences will manifest as devoid of any actual reality, like a dream or a magical show.
"

taramandala.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/MachigsStory.pdf

“She wanted George with some uncorrelated sector of Her Gart, she wanted George to correlate for her, life here, there. She wanted George to define and to make definable a mirage, a reflection of some lost incarnation, a wood maniac, a tree demon, a neuropathic dendrophile...She wanted George to make the thing an integral, herself integrity. She wanted George to make one of his drastic statements that would dynamite her world away for her. She wanted this, but even as she wanted it she let herself sink further, further, she saw that her two hands reached toward George like the hands of a drowned girl. She knew she was not drowned. Where others would drown-lost, suffocated in this element-she knew that she lived. She had no complete right yet to this element, hands struggled to be pulled out. White hands waved above the water like sea spume or inland-growing pond flowers...She wanted George to pull her out, she wanted George to push her in, let Her be drowned utterly.”

>Mrs Dalloway > The Waves

Yeah nah.

flannery oconnor
aimee bender
sofia coppola

Ursula K. Le Guin.

I haven't read any of the aforementioned authors' work admittedly. But she is one of my favourite authors period. That ought to count for something.
inb4 bleb.
inb4 too comfy

You mean most people oppose "christianity" with "catholicism", where "christianity" means any protestant denominations? Maybe this is only common in America?

Nice taste

Ayn Rand

Flannery is bae

Why the fuck do people call women "female" but men "men." It really triggers me. It's so clinical.

Woolf
Welty
Lessing
Dickenson
Charlotte Bronte
Olive Schreiner

Op used it correctly though.

>Why the fuck do people call women "female" but men "men." It really triggers me. It's so clinical.

This has to be a Western female posting this because only a Western female would find something this retardedly pedantic to feel injustice over.

why bother

>feeeeeeeeemale

Same.

Proud white christian male here. I just think it's conspicuous that when the term is used consistently, it is always by a redpilled autist fedoralord.

There are no good female writers. Females aren't good at anything but being liars and whores.

That's why you're retarded. I'm a man. I just hate the way it sounds honestly. It has nothing to do with social justice actually.

I realize OP used it correctly, but found it a good occasion to bring up a bugbear hobbyhorse.

>I just think it's conspicuous that when the term is used consistently, it is always by a redpilled autist fedoralord.

It's not like they are calling them cunts or anything. They are literally saying female. But I guess they are all hateful autist fedoralords for such divisive displays of hate speech.

I bet you are just the nicest of nice guys.

This. Just started reading her collected works. Surprised she doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere here.

Throwing it out there: Sarah Orne Jewett.

>That's why you're retarded. I'm a man.

Well you post like a woman. Not even trying to meme you here. It has that slightly off-kilter estrogen tone to it and everything.

>you're not allowed to express negative opinions about anything because people can ironically exaggerate how bad you're claiming it to be

>in comparison to the real iniquities in the world you don't see that you should be quite literally shat upon from a gaping anus for even thinking this something worth decrying

You fuckin coddled prissy boy.

>that doesn't apply to you for some reason

It doesn't, actually.

Unlike you I'm not an estrogen subversive trying to milquetoast this site into another Reddit.

It isn't enough for you to simply read and like these authors? You literally need to see Veeky Forums of all places conform to above reproach standards about it at all times? Get fucked you faggot cunt.

>reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

>this site is great and all but people need to, like, be more understanding and respectful, you know?

>if I make up people's stances I will look smarter than them

I'm not making up your stance: You are annoyed that Veeky Forums posters on Veeky Forums aren't more uniform in their understanding and respect, and that doesn't then carry over to their posting habits when talking about female writers.

Show me where I've misread, by all means.

>You are annoyed that Veeky Forums posters on Veeky Forums aren't more uniform in their understanding and respect
wrong
>Show me where I've misread, by all means.

>fuck he got me
>better give a one word response and link off to a bunch of other posts real quick

m8 just be less of a lame. I actually like female writers and read a lot of them. But holy fuck are you a lame cunt for these "concerns" of yours.

>he got me
wrong
>>better give a one word response and link off to a bunch of other posts real quick
You asked where you misread. Not being a mindreader I can't do much more than link to my previous posts in the thread.
>holy fuck are you a lame cunt for these "concerns"
What ""concerns"" exactly? And how are your ""concerns"" unlame?

>What ""concerns"" exactly?

Your droll little appeals to political correctness on this toilet of a website.

>And how are your ""concerns"" unlame?

You are you and I am me.

>Your droll little appeals to political correctness
I haven't appealed to political correctness.
>because waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

>I haven't appealed to political correctness.

Yes you have. You can scroll up and check if you'd like. But I can tell you're shifting gears now and are resigning yourself to (You) farming because you have nothing.

I don't even care that we have derailed this thread. You probably do.

>Yes you have
wrong
>You can scroll up and check if you'd like
Indeed I can and it would verify that I haven't.
>You probably do
wrong

I'm sure you're a real lady's man.

t. nicest of nice guys

Sorry, friend. If only Veeky Forums had more non-autist posters like Reddit. Then it would be so much better.

Wait..

I'm not saying it's hate speech, nor am I saying there's anything inherently wrong about using the term. I'm just a little intrigued by the fact that "female" is so consistently used by MRA's/MGTOW's/autists/fedoralords/redpillers/nice guys etc.

imagine having a grown son who's this obsessed by reddit

>Why the fuck do people call women "female" but men "men." It really triggers me. It's so clinical.

Nobody does that you big retard. It's perfectly normal to use it as an adjective. If you use it as a noun it can be construed as insulting.

We don't call male writers "man writers" and for the same reason it sounds stupid to call female writers "woman writers."

>I'm not saying it's hate speech

Why would you take that line literally you mong it was clearly exaggerated sarcasm.

And who cares if they that use it for underhanded and dismissive reasons? If they want to be women hating Elliot Rodger fucks then that is their problem. Why try to go up against this shit like we are on Reddit right now? For what? All you're doing is milquetoasting this site in the process. You know that, right?

>the author's sex is more important than their work
Fuck off with this identity politics bullshit

Imagine having a grown son that acts passive aggressive and catty like a woman.

>passive
not really

I hear this complaint often on reddit. You wouldn't happen to be a redditor, would you?

get the fuck out faggot

>I am the women who has realized the deep meaning of everything.

>on this toilet of a website.
ayyyy

back to /r9k/

Fucking THANK YOU.

>Oh but some user call them female writers and not women writers it's so clinical and underhanded

This is why the Left is losing btw. This shit right here.

>why do people use the word "female" when talking about females
well I don't know

->

s a p p h o

I LIKE THAT JUMP!

So, you're denying the vast majority of canonical authors are men

>this reading comprehension

This
>mfw I'm an unabashed misogynist but Sappho is my favorite poet

>unabashed misogynist
How would you describe your sense of humour?

>The Waves
>the prose isn't fantastic

>thinking the initial statement invalidates the point of the thread

Fucking females are for poofs

anne frank