Post a Book you're curious about:

Others tell you what is lie/whether or not they liked it

Also interested in this one

Would like to hear any thoughts.
I've only read Orlando btw.

pretty good in spanish i would say one of the best novels that i have read, i reread it every year.
Also pretty good if you are interested in mythology apart from the usual greek and roman, the part about the cooking utensils is my favorite.

I read it like ten years ago and finished it in 3 days, which was impressive for me back then when I wasn't used to reading. Really liked it, although I read it in spanish

I re-read Pedro Paramo regularly. It's simple (on re-reads) but very beautiful and brimming with atmosphere. Peden's translation is very good.

It's worth reading once, I'd say. His conception of an eco-anarchist society is basically just Athenian democracy without slaves, and his references to Hegel and Marx aren't really groundbreaking, but his more independently formed analysis was pretty interesting. His thoughts on equality/justice vs. freedom I think are worthwhile for anyone getting interested in leftism as they sort of subvert that typical conservative stereotype that leftists want to "reduce" everyone to equals under a dictatorship, something like that.

Anyone got the skinny on this one?

All Men Are Mortal by Simone de Beauvoir

I read it in English and it is definitely worth the read. Though if you aren't used to magic realism and surrealism it may be a little confusing with all the random changes in plot and perspective.

bump

100 years of solitude

lots of incest. people mention a lot of things about cincos anos de solitudoritos, but nobody ever mentions the incest

The Death of Virgil
Also Hermann Broch in general, though

>incest

Shit that's my favorite kind of sex

Eudora Welty is overrated. I can't imagine that book is any good.

Would love to hear about Berlin Alexanderplatz by Alfred Döblin. I've seen the Fassbinder series and loved it but I've been unable to read up much on the novel. I've heard it compared to Ulysses

>I've only read Orlando btw.
Read To the Lighthouse senpai

Very, very surrealist. The author writes like a painting, which is to be admired, but I cannot say I found it compelling.

Much more interesting, especially if you couple it with the Maya to Aztec teaching company course.

War and Peace.

I got it three years ago but its reputation put me off. I started it once and got about 150 pages in and stopped because it was boring me to tears, but something about it makes me want to go back to it.

For what it's worth, I've read longer books so it's not that that puts me off.

One of my favorites. Read it in Spanish.

A good book but it didn't hold its ground after a second reading as an adult.

One of the greatest for sure. Tolstoy's writing is as comfy as it gets and the book feels much shorter than it is in my opinion. It's a big plus to have an idea of the period and a certain degree of interest in history.

I haven't read W&P but I have read Anna Karenina. It bored me until I realized how I'm supposed to read it. Give it a shot, but think while you're doing it. Tolstoy isn't going to serve fancy prose to you on a platter.

Thanks. I think my problem is that I'm expecting the book to "read itself", if that makes sense. That all I have to do is look at it and it will unfold for me.

My biggest issue so far (aside from a lack of knowledge of the context) is the sheer number of characters.

Plus at my current rate it will probably take me about three months to finish, maybe longer.