Self-awareness is the worst possible thing that can happen to a species

Self-awareness is the worst possible thing that can happen to a species.

Self-awareness is the main reason why we're so miserable.

Other urls found in this thread:

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.2044-8279.1964.tb00623.x/full
psychologytoday.com/articles/201009/revenge-the-introvert
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Stop being so self aware then, have you tried that, you weak-willed faggot

I concur. I became self-aware and now all I want to do is die.

Believing Schopenhauer and not getting into mysticism is like breaking your leg and not going to a doctor.

Dude just stop over thinking everything

I. Just. Can't. Stop.

it depend

if life was eternal and ennui wasn't possible(which don't add up) it would a fucking amazing blessing

And how exactly does one "get into mysticism" correctly?

Do you think Schopenhauer has ever been on women?

Which is why God didn't want Adam and Eve to eat the fruit.

Shutup Schopenhauer, you old ascetic coot.

yes, that's why we still live in caves and freeze to death in the winter.

But this is something that you want to believe. Who is to say that self-awareness, as a real phenomenon, is, in your words, "the worst thing possible" . I will tell you who says that: literally you, because you want to think it is.
See the problem? You allow yourself to be mentally caged it this perpetual cycle of misery, by constantly thinking about your own existence as this greatest joke that has been placed on you, one which should not have been. And this in turns fuel your depression/anxiety.
As this user said, just stop over thinking. Now, I am sure that's not so easy to do. My solution would be to, instead, change you attention of your "over-thinking" subject. Instead of constantly thinking how the world has wronged you by giving you self-awareness, just change that which you give your attention to. A hobby would suffice for the moment, and even though those same thoughts were to creep back in, just ignore them and press on; it's worthwhile in the long run. Start small; baby steps.

Study, introspection, meditation, prayer is a good way to start.

Read Cioran and the Daodejing.

Study of what? What technique of meditation?
How does one start researching mysticism that isn't stupid new age bollocks fabricated by some stoned western folks. What are some good books?

Self-awareness means you can laugh at yourselves for taking yourself seriously, and actual intelligence means you can transfer that onto everybody and see just how silly they are.

Meanwhile, very serious people have given you unprecedented comforts, so that you can laugh at them without getting punched in the face, and enjoying your preferential delivery food and spirits.

And you're miserable? That has nothing to do with self-awareness. That is just plain stupidity and self-importance.

Wrong self awareness is the best survival mechanism in existence.

If you're too self-aware it means you're a cowardly little fucknugget with no friends, so all you do is sit in your room and think. It doesn't mean you're smart. It means you're lonely.

I used to be that away until I started going outside and talking to people. Now I have a job, a girlfriend and a college graduate next semester. I still have my self-awareness time. But it doesn't make me depressed because I have other things going on in my life.

>Daodejing
are you just trying to butcher it at this point?

Smart people tend to be more introverted and hence have less friends. Obviously not every person with few friends is smart. There is nothing wrong with having times for yourself and some people need more, there isn't one formula for all.

>smart people tend to be more introverted

I'm pretty sure IQ has almost nothing to do with introversion or extroversion.

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.2044-8279.1964.tb00623.x/full

>A psychology article from 1964

Yeah, you're dumb as fuck. It's pretty much been proven since then that there is no correlation between intelligence and personality types.

psychologytoday.com/articles/201009/revenge-the-introvert

>a pop-sci article

I know we're just being informal, but at least post a meta-analysis poop head.

>published by a Ph.D.

Lad, I think you have some delusions to take care of.

Heh. Looks like I've won this one.

>psychologytoday.com/articles/201009/revenge-the-introvert
>introverts are shy
This is nonsense and not a serious publication.

Like i said. Delusions

I'm not taking this conversation seriously btw I tried to say I'd be there, waiting for

I think you took Notes from Underground a little too seriously, my friend.

lol, I have a job and I feel even more depressed than before.
>girlfriend
All the women I see are so boring and shallow it hurts.

Never read the book, those were my own conclusions.

>tfw to smart to be happy

Different person, but you could read the Yoga Sutras by Patanjali or Only a Great Rain by Master Hsing Yun for guides on meditation. I'd also recommend reading up on Shamanism if you're interested in mysticism

Different user. You start with a study of mysticism by chosing your materials selectively - first hand sources, preferably in historically chronological order - and proceed to study it meticulously, with a strong emphasis on the technical terminology. Supplement with solid and unbiased academic sources.

Most writings within the field of pseudo-mysticism are made by and for individuals who are addicted to sentimental agitation and magical thinking, simply seeking to fit in within a social structure of likeminded snowflakes.

Should you fall into a pitfall of the made up bullshit of a cunning salesman or rambling dunce, you have no else to blame than your own stupidity.

>Self-awareness is the worst possible thing that can happen to a species.

This is an incomplete statement, from a Schopenhauerian perspective; when it comes to the relation between rational self-awareness and suffering, it's true that increased cognition allows for increased suffering - but increased cognition also allows for an increased likelihood of will-denying release from suffering. Without rational self-awareness, our animal selves would be forever trapped in the cycle of affirming the misery of life, without the possibility of recognizing it for the worthless error that it is.

> Self-awareness is the main reason why we're so miserable.

Nah. The main reason we're so miserable, from Schopenhauer's point of view, is due to the nature of being per se, rather than the nature of conscious being more specifically; it's in the nature of being(-in-itself, and being-as-appearance) to want and to strive and to be ultimately disappointed - to be active, restless, subrationally impulsive - and it's this fundamental fact, more than our consciousness of it, that is the deepest intelligible reason for why existence is misery.

Good stuff. Subtle distinctions.

Thank you. Any concrete book ideas for mysticism and shamanism?

I don't think existence is misery, the "misery of life" is something that can't exist outside the human mind, so I wouldn't apply that concept on other forms of life.

For me, it stops being misery when in your head, everything you do (instincts and such) is right and don't think too much about it.

All humans have some level of self-awareness, and that self-awareness in itself is what I call misery. I wish I could live like a careless animal, but I can't, I just know too much, and to deny what I know and live carelessly just following my instincts would be more damaging in the long run than spend all day thinking about life, as my super-ego would be always there telling me to stop.

It's these bodies we inhabit. They have demands and if they don't get what they want, they send sensations to our consciousness: Pain (hunger, eg). But it is a daunting task, to say the least, to eat all the variety of nutrients our bodies need to produce the endorphins that affect us positively emotionally and spiritually. But hard as we try to be healthy, some wacko can still just happen along and randomly kill us. Or is it karma, consequence and lack of common sense? Is Karma merely a way of blaming people for bad things that happen to them?

Old Schoppi should've gone to gym once in a while, he sounds like he was cucked by his own brain chemistry.

test

Self awareness is essential for us to derive meaning from life. It can make us miserable or it can make our tiny existence worthwhile. It's all perspective.

Congrats on being unbanned :^)

It's probably lack of self-awareness [of our true self] that's the problem. Lots of sicko perverts out there rage and rape when we merely speak out of what is normal and what is sick, abnormal and diseased. They can pretend they're not sick in the head, but they don't fool clean people. One day we need to speak out against them. I am not one of them and I'm honored not to be.

Any recommendations with regards to Cioran? i read on the heights of despair but didn't really like it, too edgy for my taste

That's a good opinion there mate. I've come to this conclusion a year ago by my own. I am smarter than you.

>All the women I see are so boring and shallow it hurts.
have you considered that part of your pain may be caused by your negative evaluations towards extremely large portions of the populace

Dankyou

Maybe you just bored.
I suggest you go get your heart broken again

How can you not be aware of something you are aware of?
Check mate atheists.

>implying you are self aware

What should I do then? block these feelings and pretend they don't exist in my head?

Read my post again, I'm talking about how self-awareness have made all the human race unhappy and dissatisfied.

So happy he went crazy

He never mentioned being smart, you insecure loony

I agree. That's why I threw away my books (including everything by Schopenhauer) and got myself a 4K TV, a Netflix account and a PS4 Pro.

Distraction master race.

I will read genre fiction in the future though.

>implying he isn't

DANI THE GIRL IS SINGING SONGS TO ME BENEATH THE MARQUEE
OVERLOAD