Stack thread/recent purchases

Stack thread/recent purchases.

R8, B8, H8, appreci8 your m8s.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_translations_of_Dante's_Divine_Comedy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Lads how high should I let this stack get?

You should get a book shelf, stack it on top of the books and then fill the shelf with more books.

lol that's retarded. all my shelves are filled and I'm lazy to get a new one.

Paid $3 for the whole stack at a recent thrift shop sale

just bought idylls of the king

Great fucking job with the Barth. Read them chronologically and you better make a thread about TEotR and TSWF when you finish them (respectively), cause I want to have a discussion

I just finished actress in the house and ancient history. hurry up and read that so we can discuss. the rest of this board is too pleb for mcelroy.

6/13

or lifetimes too short to read obfuscated trash

Recent cops, check em out Veeky Forums

McElroy is godly, get out pleb

How much did you pay for W&M?

1/3

You are retarded. Ancient history is really intimate and human .

k

13/30
-2 bikes

Jesus Christ that must've cost a fortune

look at the brains on these guys. can't wait to read threads based on the book jacket

are you me? the only difference between us is that I only bought volume 1 for Aristotle's Complete Works because I only buy book sets after I read the previous book. Surely you are going to read all that r-right user?

currently reading inheritance of rome and just started dante today, really enjoying it

+sophocles, willy shakes
can hardly see any of these books
have you started reading mcelroy?
+walden, all those greeks and all that philosophy

Mostly the philosophy is new.

Wait so you don't read them?

who are you talking to?

Just bought these today.

All for $20

5 bucks in a bin at the library

that translation of beowulf is goat

you seem insufferable

bretty gud, my man

>Abe Kobo in translation

Just got these in the mail.

Does anyone actually read Leviathan? It's fucking long and hardly seems worth it.

desu it's one of the more readable philosophical texts.

Hurry up and read the mcelroy. I've been waiting a long time for you plebs to ascend. there's much to talk about.

send the diamond book back

>leviathan
>long

good fucking stack.

It's longer than Moby-Dick or Crime and Punishment.

>moby dick
>crime and punishment
>long

>corncob tortillas yecarthy
>roadside plebnic
Neck u r self mon ami.

hey it's cold in the northern hemisphere, maybe they've got a stove

Maybe he's in the southern hemisphere, he could use it as a shade

where's shadow and claw?
not him but why does everyone have a problem with diamond's guns germs and steel? never read it my self, just curious.
>barnes and noble classics
never liked those honestly. seems like the bare minimun effort and material was put into them.

any of you get any of the penguin galaxy books? i was thinking about picking up dune. but i dont know if i can justify paying $30 for something that's sitting right next to it for $18.

I already read it. Half way through Citadel of the Autarch right now.

>why does everyone have a problem with diamond's guns germs and steel?
It's one of those books that tries to prove a universal law for all of history, that history is mainly dictated by some sort of geographical determinism. Of course there are a myriad of factors that have influenced history, so to say the only reason Europe has been successful is because of where it is on the earth is a bit reductionist. But the reason for the widespread distaste for it here is because it has been championed by CGP Grey, who has a sizable following on reddit. So they take it for gospel and give it unwarranted praise, which annoys people here. When it is posted here inevitably someone will criticize the book or the poster, making it seem that "everyone [has] a problem with diamond's guns germs and steel".

>CGP grey
ahhh ok. yeah, his reddit following is insufferable.

5/9
2/4
4/6
5/10
4/6
8/12
2/5

Recent purchase. Blurry pic.
What is Called Thinking?-Heidegger
The Korean translation of No Longer Human
The Idiot-Dosto
The Sickness unto Death-Kierks

Yo Anons, almost finished all of the short works here and about to buy another lot of book so I can avoid reading anything over ~400 pages. I feel like a pussy.
Pretty nice haul for that price.

>buys a book
>doesnt immediately want to read it
why'd you get it?

I want to read them, I am just scared to jump into something so big so I put it off. I have read almost all of those short ones and some other stuff in just over a week so I am sure it wouldn't take me long to finish one of the longer books, but it is still scary. Also, some things like the divine comedy I am putting off because there are things I think I should read first. Short books are more comfy as well.

Hey Veeky Forums

I have a question and this seems like a decent thread to ask in.

I'm looking for version of The Divine Comedy with Dores illustrations, There are so many versions of the translation im not sure which is decent. Can any one recommend one?

We just collect books, reading is for fags

Don Quixote and CoMC are both great and relatively easy reads though

I get spooked by large novels too, for silly reasons. I read long stuff on my kindle, though, so I can't see how thicc the book is.

Not the best or uptodate, but I have always had a special place in my heart for the longfellow edition, which is the one I first read, and the footnotes are wonderfully written.

Looking through this,

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_translations_of_Dante's_Divine_Comedy

I would always try to stick with Oxford University Press or Modern Library (as a layman)

cool, thanks.

>but why does everyone have a problem with diamond's guns germs and steel? never read it my self, just curious
Because the book goes against the "europe is good and africa is bad because of colonial exploration" narrative. Most criticism of that book is just pedantic nit-picking.

I bought Neuromancer, I haven't read it, trying to get through all of Dosto. But I like the cover, and it seems like it's worth it if you plan on rereading it/care about aesthetics of the cover.
That said other covers are just as good, and other hardcovers would probably cost less and be just as durable.

Neuromancer blows. Not sure why people still recommend it. It might have been cool when it came out, but not in the cellphone era.

Like I said, I haven't read it. A friend from home recommended it.

What's the point of a stack? Read no more than 2 at a time. and there's no reason not to keep what you're planning on reading on the shelf until you get to it.

Stack thread is often for recent acquisitions. Also people like sharing pictures of their favorite books, or asking advice on which to read next.

I keep a shelf near my desk with all the books I plan to read soon on it. On my desk I keep the 1-3 books I'm reading or about to read. I dare not post a pic because everyone here would just laugh and say it's all genre trash.

Post pic.

post it man. its an anonymous chinese cartoon imageboard. have fun and fuck it

>The Road (currently reading)
>Dark Tower book (about to read)
>Hunger Games
>Catcher in the Rye

I read other things too, but that's what's on my desk and what I'm reading next. I read a lot though. Finishing The Road within 24 hours, and will be finished with all the above and making a new more Veeky Forums stack by the end of the week:

>The Crying of Lot 49
>Notes from Underground
>All Quiet on the Western Front
>Journey to the Center of the Earth

All Quiet On The Western Front is fucking great. I love reading about WW1 and it really gives a good perspective into it through the German side. Some good shit.

Pulled them together for a doublestack.

hunger games seems kind of out of place.

4/8
3/4
4/6
3/4

are we posting our meme stacks?

>Can't afford books
What should I read next?

I'm reading Lolita at the moment, too many pages describing every American hill side and mountain range. Too many lines of untranslated french and not enough of the psychology of their relationship of what she's actually thinking.
Breddy gud tho.

Nice to see someone else reading this, BotNS is my favorite book.

How'd I did bros?

Started Revolt against the modern world today. I'd recommend you read it ASAP

>he immediately reads the books he buys
>he doesn't have a years-long backlog into which new purchases are inserted in various spots depending on where they belong according to genre and time period

Wew

>years-long backlog
Most of the books I buy I tend to start almost exactly a year later. I'd read them now, but I still have to get around to last year's books.

Solid titles, poor editions.

I'm not that exact, but yeah, something like that. Especially with history or philosophy which is better read chronologically, I end up buying stuff thinking "man this is a great deal; I'll definitely enjoy this book in 1-2 years when I get to it."

Not familiar with the translators for those editions, but if you've never read Cervantes or Tolstoy before, you're in for a treat. Great choices. Hope you enjoy them!

Last 50 pages now.
He's recalling that he never really took notice of her feelings and recalling all the things that I though were missing.
I'm still confused about the specifics of her running away, so it was the man who wrote the play she was rehearsing then he left her and she got knocked up with Dick? How did she meet and run away with the playwright?

Just ordered this because I ward the first volume is pretty great. I'm not even conservative desu.

Am I in for a buttblasting?

I am aware the editions are poor but I figured I would compare them to better editions later, all three books cost me a total of under $20 so I felt it was worth it

Thanks, I've only ever read shitty abridged versions for classes

Next time go to a used book store. That's too much money for what you got

From the liberry

Excited to read pic related for $25 from Amazon. How'd I do, brehs? Expensive, but this isn't the sort of thing I can find used around here.

The story is distinctly told from Humbert's point of view. Nabokov was almost ham-fisted about this, and you still don't get it.

We don't hear HH talking about the psychology of their relationship because HH is on the motherfucking autism spectrum and completely unaware of what he is doing to Lo. He has an animal cunning about not being caught, and knows what could happen, but he has no moral instinct or sense of remorse. For hundreds of pages, he trades comic books and bubblegum for sexual favors from a child. Ya dingus.

damn, kobo abe and mcelroy? you're leagues ahead of these lit plebs.

you shouldve left lord of the fucks and cocks nest, but good job

based

deep ;)

cool emily

one of the best purchases threads, keep it up bitchs

Nice

3/5
3/3
meme/4

I suppose, I have a tendency to root for whoevers point of view the story is being told from. I was starting to think that their relationship wasn't so bad until the scene where the teacher pulls him aside and tells him how weird and stunted she Lo is.

3/4
1/13

ew does that turtle water just sit there? like it doesn't have a filter or something.