Do you guys ever buy books just because you think they'll look good on your bookshelf?

Do you guys ever buy books just because you think they'll look good on your bookshelf?

Those books are hideously tacky though.

>1000 dollars

I have a lot of ebooks. I wonder if there is an app or some website that let you make a virtual bookshelf. Not that it will have much use but maybe some people would like something like that

that's unironically how I buy most of my books

bookshelf master race coming through

Wow. One day I hope to have such an amazing shelf. I'll pass them on down generations

that is sexy

Thats a whole lotta tacky shit.

Is that all the same publisher? What is this sorcery?

Should've spent some cash on an antique wooden shelf, this metal thingie immediately lets me know that this is part of a neckbeard furnishing.

>the Star Wars trilogy

Kek

God damn thats a nice looking shelf.

Fucking disgusting

Gaudy pieces of shit

War of the worlds cover looks pretty fun though, the pulpy scifi artwork kinda fits

>plebby barnes noble shit

Yes but it's usually when the good will/second hand book store has an nicer looking edition for like 1-4 dollars extra.
If I was rich i'd definitely buy cloth hardbacks with nice paper though because I love their smell/look.

>stephen king
lmao

The only time I've ever done that is spending a bit more on a hardcover of 2666 because the paperback has a red line along the spine

I got like 5 of those as gifts. Count of Monte Cristo, Aesop's Fables and the Oscar Wilde Selected Works are okay. Sherlock Holmes and especially the Divine Comedy are horrifying. The gilded pages in particular are painful.

But to OP, no, but vanity does hold some weight in my decisions. If I am looking to buy works in english, I'll usually fork out the extra money to get Everyman's Hardcover editions. They look better and last longer.

dune looks fuckin great.

i heard the gold rubs off pretty fast

>they'll look good on your bookshelf?
Not on my bookshelf per se, but I do buy books just because I like the way they look (I'm a very aesthetics driven person), but only if I'm actually interested in the book. If it's REALLY pretty, I might convince myself I actually want to read it, though.

They're called the barnes and noble leatherbound classics I think.
They're probably not even sewn but just glued, so no passing it down the generations.

I don't put books on my shelf until I've actually read them, so this would be a shit way of buying books for me. It also seems like just a retarded reason to buy a book anyway. Plus those books all look tacky as fuck.

I hear sum of them are missing stuff.

I like to see how my bookshelf grows over time. It's beautiful.

this is absolutely disgusting

Only overpriced Art and Design coffee table books

t. Kindle pleb

Not even mad, but if you wanna have that tackyfest in your room, at least sort them by color.

>buy super expensive books
>put them in shitty 10 dollar metal book shelf and on top of your wardrobe

>shitty b&n public domain hardcovers
>super expensive

The hockey stick made me puke.

these books can be bought NEW and with comentary and other useful pieces of contextualization from Oxford, Penguin or something else by half the price, or you could buy Library of America books for about the same price. With the added benefit of Oxford and LoA not looking like shit (Penguin does sometimes, but they're ok most of the time)

I never called them "cheap". Calling them "super expensive" is fucking retarded though.

Oh, I was agreeing with you.

I'm not the only one that thinks moby dick looks sexy as fuck right?

>not putting Star Wars next to the Divine Comedy as a subtle nihilistic jab at the zeitgeist

Autist.

If you ever wanna move having too many books is a burden.

They're less expensive than normal hardbacks, actually.

The quality of them varies. A number of the single-novel ones are actually pretty good. The ones where they stick 5+ novels in one volume are pretty bad, though.

Also, be wary of the translations of course.

Commendable taste there, but a single look on that glossiness tells you that they're designed by The American.

>gray's anatomy
lol that show fucking sucks, hitler was right to burn some books

They're called the Barnes and Noble Classics, each one is $20 dollars. Go into B&N and they will either be on display all together on a small kiosk or they will be stacked together on a large table.

This reminds me of those houses you get in the US whose insides are all a shade of wooden panelling, with flags and knick-knacks strewn about.

>Hitchhiker's Guide
Bad. Looks like an aero bar, or some other chocolate-based sweet wrapper. At least the colours work well.
>Fairy Tales
Bad, but saved somewhat by the fact its subject matter is inured to tackiness at this point.
>Austen
Chintzy af. Reminds me of my granny's living room. Why would you want this.
>Asimov
Like a twelve-year-old's cool new videogame guide his doting grandfather bought him.
>Bradbury
Artemis Fowl-tier. Shit.
>Dan Brown
I don't think I need to say anything.
>Mythology
I actually quite like the colours, but I'm a sucker for black and gold. The swords ruin it, I think; greater simplicity would've made this pretty decent.
>John Carter of Mars
I like this one a lot. It's got a lot of the same problems Hitchhiker's had, but this time it fits the subject matter perfectly, as does the colouring. Removing the stars n shit would've been better, but it's good.
>Tarzan
Easily among the best in this God forsaken collection. As above, the colours are fucking perfect—it's no accident the style matches Heart of Darkness. It just generally reminds me of old pulpy adventure novels, which is exactly what Tarzan is. The pic is great too, if completely unrelated IIRC (there are no lions, I think).
>Arabian Nights
Somehow, they managed to make blue and gold look awful. The design is thicc. That's not a good thing.
>Lost World
This is fun. Great colours (red and white and black is GOAT; Prussia and the Nazis had a good thing going). The style is nice and simple, though crowded, but I think that helps the theme.
>Divine Comedy
It's like some D&D gamebook.
>Dickens
I really want some chocolate, now.
>HOLMES
It deserved nothing better.
>Monte Cristo
It deserved so much more. Blue and gold, shit again, somehow.
>This side of Paradise
White chocolate. Also I don't like the look she's giving me
>Heinlein
The brown and yellow looks shit, but at least it clearly fits the books.
>Dune
Tacky as shit to have such a detailed character on the fucking spine. Also orange? Should be gold or some shit.
>Star Wars
There's a book?
>One Hundred Years of Solitude
This is okay. Style is good, just too busy.
>Poe
90s Halloween-episode tier. I expected nothing less.
>Beauty and the Beast
lol its a pink panther

B&N classics are great for decoration. I have an actual library of 1000 books that guests hardly see but nothing wrong with easy decorations since I know fuck all about interior design

Who green lit this shit?

>mfw I have several of these

whats wrong with hokey?

anyone else think the H.G Wells seven novels book is just bad enough to be good?

No, but I do sometimes buy things I don't plan on reading as novelty items because the idea of them amuses me. Some examples are Morrissey's penguin classics autobiography, Behead all Satans, and The Magnificent Third Rail.

>bookshelf full of fiction
>suddenly an anatomy textbook

It looks good and it neatly shows everyone that reading is relevant to his biology degree too!

also this isn't that user's bookshelf we all know that right

pitiful

I tried to find this forever

settled for calibre