Best translations of the Bible

This has probably been posted before but I haven't seen it mentioned. Whats the best translation of the Bible? I want to read it for understanding western theology/philosophy that bit better. Also I think it's essential reading before Dantes divine comedy.

Other urls found in this thread:

thebricktestament.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

King James Version. It's the most accurate and has the best prose. Are you a Christian?

I would suggest if you find it too difficult to buy a NKJV. Or a study Bible. Like the Reformation Heritage KJV.

Veggitales illustrated Kids Can Worship Too edition.

i was raised in a christian household as a child though we dont really attend church anymore. I still lean towards the church but simply dont feel like I know enough to have a solid opinion.

Hawai'i Pidgin Bible

I can recommend a heap of scholarly books I've read on Christianity if you would be interested.

That sounds fantastic! I'd be incredibly grateful! Thank you so much!!

New International.
King James if you want to understand the translation that historical people used.

On the resurrection:

Michael Licona's The Resurrection of Jesus
NT Wright's The Resurrection of the Son of God
Gary Habermas and Michael Licona's The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus

On Christian philosophy:

Greg Bahnsen's Van Til's Reading and Analysis
St Augustine's City of God
St Thomas Aquinas (Various Works)
St Anselm Proslogion
JP Moreland and Wiliam Lane Craig's Philosophical Foundations for a Christian Worldview
Alvin Plantinga's Warrant and Proper Function
Alvin Plantinga's Warrant and Christian Belief
Alvin Plantinga's Warrant and the Current Debate

There's a lot more...

On theology:

Institutes of the Christian Religion - John Calvin
Bondage of the Will - Martin Luther
Louis Berkhof - Systematic Theology
Wayne Grudem's System Theology is good too but aimed more at a popular level
Doctrine of God and Doctrine of the Knowledge of God by John M Frame
Iustitia Dei: A History of the Christian Doctrine of Justification - Alister McGrath

On miracles claims:

Miracles by Craig Keener (also has a great commentary on the book of Acts)

If you live in the US like me, you'll find these books for a pretty cheap price second hand.

I would recommend you buy:
- NT Wright's The Resurrection of the Son of God
- Doctrine of the Knowledge of God by John M Frame
- Wayne Grudem's System Theology

NIV is a very lousy translation. It's a not literal translation like the KJV.

King James is Beautiful

Douey Rheims is good from what I've heard if you're Catholic

The team of 47 scholars who translated the KJV did an excellent job. However, the English language has changed a lot in the more than 400 years since it was published. The vocabulary is outdated. Pronouns and verb tenses have changed since then. Many KJV words and phrases, such as Lord of hosts, sabaoth, emerods and concupiscence, would not be meaningful to most people today. Worse, many other KJV words, such as charity, trespass, profit, cousin, and remission, have different primary meanings today than they did in 1611, and could mislead the reader. As a result, many people find the KJV quite difficult to read and understand. NIV is clear and direct and in modern English without losing the meaning.

I'm reading the new American induction translation, and I have no complaints.

Or just read the NKJV

Or just read the NRSV or the NASB. They both pretty much aim to be the "new" KJV and you can get nice editions with annotations and what have you.

>many people find the KJV quite difficult to read and understand
So they are plebs and should not even be taken into the account.

How fucking pleb are you?

King James or Douay-Rheims.
If that's too hard go grab Babby's First Bibble.

As a proficient reader of Hebrew, the KJV is horribly inaccurate and should mainly be read for its literary value and influence, the latter of which is immeasurable. However, any other translation (don't know much about Christian ones) should be more accurate than KJV.

This or alternatively this: thebricktestament.com/

Dude, it's all made up anyway.

Yes, it probably is. Still, OP sounds like a Christian and the last thing we need is another KJV-thumper.

Why has such imbecilic scripture bashing become a meme?

What you're "pointing out" doesn't mean the translation of the "made up thing" can't be inaccurate, or that inaccuracy is somehow insignificant.

Here's a nice error (NKJV, not present in KJV)
Isaiah 45:7, NKJV:
I form the light and create darkness,
I make peace and create calamity;
I, the Lord, do all these things.

Hebrew:
יוצר אור ובורא חשך, עשה שלום ובורא רע; אני יי, עשה כל-אלה.

Any first-week Hebrew student can tell you that רע means "bad" or "evil" and cannot possibly mean "calamity"—yet here it is, translated as "calamity," because so many Christian theologians aren't really monotheists but duotheists who cannot conceive of a God who creates evil.

And for those who don't see a problem with this because "peace" and "calamity" sounds like a better opposition than "peace" and "evil," שלום —"shalom"—is most often translated as peace but doesn't necessarily mean "peace"—the root SH-L-M has more to do with the idea of wholeness (שילם, the same root in the Pi'el construction, means to pay, התשלם, in the reflexive hitpa'el, means to perfect oneself—incidentally, this same root is the source of the words "Islam" and "Muslim," the latter of which is מושלם—"perfect"—in Hebrew). So it follows that if SH-L-M is the representation of perfection in the Hebrew language, רע, then the most obscene word imaginable, would be the opposite.

A lot of retard cunts are going to suggest the KJV of the Bible. Don't listen to them. No self-respecting Christian would read a Protestant Bible.

K I N G J A M E S

wrong

NRSV is the scholarly ecumenical translation. Very readable and accurate, but they do change masculine pronouns to genderless when the context implies that something is applicable to everyone.

How did the King James meme originate, anyway? Why is a translation made on an insignificant island in a discontemporaneous language the gold standard for Christ-thumpers? What happened to learning Hebrew and Greek for you guys?

it started out as a purely anti-catholic thing and most christians in the english-speaking world are dumb prods.

the reason it's popular on Veeky Forums is purely due to >muh muh olde englishe

Lmao

>A lot of retard cunts are going to suggest the KJV of the Bible.
Spoken like a true Christian, bravo, user.

Whats funny too is that the original 1611 printing of the King James included the apocrypha so that all Christians could read it in English but the protestants hated this and took them out to fit their crazy interpolations so any King James that doesn't have the original 73 books is lacking

btw the best Bibles are NASB, RSV, and ESV.

This is hilarious. The KJV was translated by some of the best Hebraist of it's era. This just reflects your poor Hebrew and English skills.

Dude not an argument

Again showcasing your ignorance to everyone? Have you heard of theodicies? Augustianism? Calvinism?

No it's not. It is good but it's a very liberal translation.

While Hebrew and Greek have it's benefits. The underlying Greek and Hebrew of the KJV are superior and as a translation it is great

>t. spic who escaped the backwater of Roman Catholic dominated latin america
Welcome to civilization.

ITT: edge lords who don't realize or won't accept that Lancelot Andrewes was one of the greatest writers in the English language.

Is this bait user? Are you trying to bait me?

This is why the best of the RSV versions is the RSV-2CE. The Didache Bible by Ignatius Press specifically makes incredible use of this translation.

For literary value, I have to give it to the Prots for the KJV, it's the best Bible in English straight up. But a good Catholic alternative to RSV-2CE would be Knox's translation.

I am particularly fond of the ESV, the NRSv is also good.
Mosf importantly, find a translation that will motivate you to read it, rather than getting memed into buying the KJV by people who care about the bible's literary legacy before its spiritual content.

ESV, NRSV, NKJV. Any of these are fine. Read some samples and pick one.

I bought both of these so I can read the KJV with help for the difficult linguistic features and the supplemental texts and notes. 9/10 get the hardcover versionswould recommend .

NASB master race reporting in

KJV is best for both legacy and spiritual content.

If I find NRSV too liberal what's a good alternative?

Knox translation is really good. Problem is only Baronius Press publish it and it's fairly expensive. That said it's high quality and a translation not many people get to read.

ESV

Vulgate by Saint Jerome. I mean, it was translated by a freaking saint.

What's so liberal about the NRSV?