Is Dark Matter real?

So dark matter apparently makes up 5x as much of the universe as regular matter right?

How do we even know this without even being able to detect it?

Isn't it more likely that we just underestimated the effects of regular matter and it's actually 5x stronger than we once thought?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=j50ZssEojtM
arxiv.org/abs/1001.0785
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Dark matter is a meme invented to """explain""" flawed theories

HOW can we EVEN SEE the color black if it implys the absense of light?!?!?!@?$#?@QRHIUGFlkhfw

that doesn't answer my question spergberg

your question has nothing to support it, and i answered your second question perfectly

yep, our theories are completly wrong in describing the universe as we observe it, so lets make up this dark matter et voila, everything adds up
>astrophysics

the theory of dark matter has nothing to support it either as far as i know which is why i made the thread, cocksucker

oh well maybe thats because you didnt look moron

Yeah I did, get rekt.

>RETREAT
pwnd

what is RETREAT an acronym for?

I see dark matter as the aether of our age
ie. something that's not quite scientific whose eventual debunking will unravel a bunch of new scientific knowledge and laws

considering the rotational period of every thing except planets in a solar system is enormously fucked up compared to the masses involved your theory has a problem.

Galaxies rotate much faster than their mass would allow, which is why 90% of everything is dark matter or energy. Astrodynamics are fucked.

your life

t. doesn't know what an acronym is

just wait until they discover spacetime can flow like a fluid.

t. would argue with a mirror

t. can't look in a mirror cuz it would break

LOL

>managing to lose in single player game theory

>Galaxies rotate much faster than their mass would allow, which is why 90% of everything is dark matter or energy. Astrodynamics are fucked.

but cant it be that there are laws at work on such big scales we just dont grasp yet? and there is no dark matter that makes them rotate, but you just need a new approach to physics on such a large scale to get it right, just like we noticed at one point that our laws of physics dont work on a very small scale?

you would talk shit to a vampire?
clearly you lack the self preservation all intelligent people have

"dark" is just their way of saying something exists without having to explain what it is or where it is. Sorta like all these non-muslim dark terrorists doing terrorism.

I can prove that dark matter isn't real

1: 1 + 1 = 2
2: An unobserved "dark logic" which proves my dark matter isn't true

Therefore dark matter isn't real

Which is why they invented Dark Matter/Energy.

Now what's nice is this overspeed we see in every galaxy is consistent and people have created "maps" of where dark matter might exist to make the math work out.

So if you can use the dark matter datasets of where physics go wrong and use that to develop a new theory of gravity that doesn't use dark matter you'll get a lot of attention.

That is attention after everyone tries to ignore you for being a "dark matter denier." Brainlets don't like to discover the theory they studied might become obsolete.

>How do we even know this without even being able to detect it?
We don't.

But we do observe its effects, in that there's large globular and non-uniform distributions of gravity weaving through the universe like blood vessels in meat, with no detectable objects to explain them. There's something there - there's no denying that part - it's just a question as to what, and why it isn't interacting in any observable way, save for gravity.

Well before we observed this, we had the idea of non-baryonic matter. Like anti-matter, it's a phenomenon that should exist as a consequences of physics, but we don't see much of. (Save that, yes, anti-matter's existence, even in nature, is confirmed, while dark matter is still something we're trying to detect.)

Non-baryonic is simply matter that did not bond with the electromagnetic and strong force quantum fields during the early stages of the formation of the universe. It still retains its form, due to being bonded with the weak force and gravitation, being the only two forces through which it can interact with regular matter. It thus affects matter gravitationally, but rarely interacts with any of it, or itself, as it has no bonding mechanism through which to do so.

The observation of these gravitational veins could be explained by the existence of non-baryonic matter being much more common than initially believed. It would explain a lot of other discrepancies in observations, such as why quasars are far more energetic than they should be able to be, given the amount of matter available around them - often outshining their own galaxies by hundreds of magnitudes, and yes, spiral galaxies.

Dark energy, however, is another subject. Its effects, unlike dark matter's, are uniform. You can't remove the effects of dark matter by "tweaking some numbers" - something is undeniably there - but dark energy maybe a better candidate for that sort of fix.

Though, in both cases, no one has come up with a better explanation.

E = dark matter c^2

thats exactly what i said, it isnt really matter, but nothing more like a constant/variable you add so your formula adds up in the end

We know dark matter exists because things are kept together. See, if you do the Math, you'll see how the mass of stars, planets, blackholes, everything, it's nowhere near being enough to keep galaxies together through gravity. So there must be something with plenty of mass that keeps these galaxies together. If there was no dark matter, galaxies would just "dissolve" into the Universe, the stars steering farther and farther away to each other, as opposed to remaining tied to a galaxy's gravitational pulls.

That'd be kinda like trying to account for the existence of Yamaha Scooters in your universe by tweaking some numbers.

With dark matter, there's clumps of mass involved - something is there - you can't "math it away". It might be more of a thing for something as uniform as dark energy, that's evenly present throughout the universe, while dark matter interacts in very non-uniform ways.

good luck in turning data into equations.

>all these triggered retards ITT that get mad when someone questions a theory

hey, that's interesting

amazingly this website is more more open to problems with established theories than the rest of the internet, and I don't think flat earth trolls have anything to do with it.

When I was in Iraq this website was blocked but I could go to gay robot, here is much better in every way imaginable.

>question theory in a ignorant trolling manner
>hope for posts like
if you do this you deserve to get shit on

>ignorant trolling manner
Where?
Are you that deluded that you think every post and thread is created in an attempt to anger you? Grow up.

>frog post
>question can be immediately answered by copy pasting a wikipedia entry
thats where. welcome to Veeky Forums

>gets triggered by frogs
Like I said, grow up.

>thinks Veeky Forums gets to user
ishygddt

if you're not having fun, or you think other people aren't you need to get out

Well we're trying to have fun but you're shitposting because seeing an image of pepe the frog makes you mad. When you get older maybe you wont be so frustrated at silly things.

damn i guess you win.

Except General Relativity brought back the aether after all.

Why were you in Iraq you retard?

because I was getting paid to kill ISIS.

"You say, 'My law has just been violated - it don't make sense!
There's gotta be another particle to make this balance.'
And it might be dark matter..."
youtube.com/watch?v=j50ZssEojtM
Yeah, or you got your law wrong.

yeah there might be dark matter (made up of particles) or not. We think of particles because there is some inconsistency with the general theory of relativity when looking at galaxies. Space-time/gravity might just as well be a little different to what is taught in graduate courses nowadays; check out e.g. arxiv.org/abs/1001.0785

It's a prime example of why physics isn't a science and rutherford was a brainlet.

Not him but Wut

of course dark matter isn't real. The matter erroneously assigned to dark matter is actually just all the dyson swarms making the majority of stars look like various dwarfs. Remember at one point we thought planets were rare. It's easy to see how someone would just invent dark matter in that context.

Dark matter is just matter that we can't observe, but must exist given the gravitational effects required for our views on gravitation and the galaxy's motion to both be correct. The two theories are weakly interacting massive particles (WIMPs, basically particles possessing the same properties as neutrinos but much heavier and yet to be discovered), and massive compact heavy objects (MaCHOs, many astronomic bodies that don't emit observable radiation, and so can be considered hidden from us). WIMPs haven't been discovered yet, and so it is up in the air for which theory is the best.

what do you mean?

ITS JUST A FUCKING THEORY. A PLACEHOLDER EXPLANATION AS TO WHY THINGS OPERATE AND FUNCTION AT THE WAY THEY DO BASED OFF OUR OWN ARBITRARY AND PRIMITIVE FRAMEWORKS OF HOW THE UNIVERSE WORKS

Veeky Forums confirmed highschool level education

People always say there is something more aka dark matter that's keeping galaxies together

but is it possible galaxies just orbit really fast and they behave something like gyroscope so we don't need dark matter at all?

But user, I theorize that there is dark logic that disproves your dark logic and proves that dark matter is real.

Dark energy is just kinetic/ potential energy

Agreed.

Look up epicycles