Why are the Japanese such dicks?

Why are the Japanese such dicks?

> beheads dude
Priest, this is all your fault dude.
> tortures dudes
Yo priest, why are you making them suffer?
> murders Christians
Priest, look how Christianity is withering here! It cannot take root in this country!

Inoue is basically a playground "stop hitting yourself" bully.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7FYuYkPgDkk
lareviewofbooks.org/article/white-men-mission-martin-scorseses-long-silence/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I wonder why they portrayed Inoue as such a... cartoon, in the movie.

I mean, I liked it, but it seemed like an odd choice for such a somber film.
Maybe that's how he really was, who knows.

He didn't seem like a cartoon to me. He was funny, but I was still able to take him seriously

>Maybe that's how he really was
Work is fiction. Endo even had to defend himself because of that. It's not representative of Japanese Christians, it's not representative of Japanese Catholics, and it's not historically factual.

I saw the movie recently and I thought he wasn't portrayed like a cartoon. He wasn't really funny or shot in an exaggerated way, he was just intentionally grating. He was supposed to be "above" all the horrors of his administration so as to make the audience hate him (well-dressed compared to the prisoners, always in dignified poses, etc.). He is constantly swatting at flies to show how imperious and irritable he is. Also it makes him more human than just this monolith of pure evil that you could characterize as the devil or something.

Did you read it? You don't sound like an idiot like the anons preceding you here.

Try reading the books you simple minded faggots

Yes, I did read the novel. It was a pretty painful and profound experience. I thought the movie, while inferior to the book, was a pretty notable achievement.

Movie not released in my country yet, should I watch it when it is ?

I haven't seen the movie yet but I've read the novel. Wasn't super impressed to be honest. Maybe it's the translation that was poor, but I'd be surprised if the people singing its praises ITT (or Scorsese, for that matter) read it in the original.

I don't mean to say that it isn't a competent work of fiction, either. Just that it didn't have this huge, evocative resonance that has been promised by the hype.

*tips*

>dude chinese mormons lmao

Who are you quoting?

this book sucked
>lol i repent no wait jk!!!!!! XDXDXD

He definitely played as an eccentric, but then the historical figure was supposedly a very queer character with his relationship to the shogun

fug u

Leaders in insular cultures generally dislike outside influences in their realm of influence. Imagine if a band of monks tried to spread Shinto Buddhism in Europe in the same time period. It the same anti-globalism anti-cultural mixing agenda that has been so prevalent in the media lately. You either support it or you don't, don't be a hypocrite.

I can agree that he was eccentric, but I don't think eccentric necessarily implies cartoonishness.

I would not support torturing or executing them. Exile, maybe.

While I sympathize your argument, I think you are distorting Europe in this time period. Europe definitely wasn't a bunch of ultra-tolerant hippies in the 17th Century but Japan was definitely more jingoistic than them. The Reformation had happened over a century ago and it was at that point becoming more tolerated to have an "alternate religion". Now, if you were a Buddhist or whatever you would still have a crap time (people would hate you, regard you as a threat, etc.) but the government wouldn't just straight-up execute you in the street for it. In Japan at that time they weren't just killing the proselytizers, they were killing actual believers and sympathizers. That's a big step up on the evil-scale in my opinion.

So yeah, I agree with you that all societies (including Europe/America) should be open and allow religions to coexist. I just think that Japan was a particularly bad violator of this during the period of the book.

>Why are the Japanese such dicks?
They literally did nothing wrong tho

>pure evil
I think you missed Endou's point.

*tips*

*hat*

>one Japanese guy writes a book
>somehow this makes all of them dicks

How so? In my last sentence I literally said that Inoue was NOT pure evil.

"Silence" today:

youtube.com/watch?v=7FYuYkPgDkk

>who
>are you quoting

>"alternate religion"
No, not if your alternate religion isn't Christianity or the right kind of Christianity. We're talking about a time period with deep enmity and conflict between Protestants and Catholics still. You also seem unaware that the time period of Silence is post-Shimabara rebellion. Christianity experienced varying levels of success and toleration (more than a few daimyo actually converted to the faith, while others simply tolerated it if only for trade benefit), the jingoism and violent suppression that occurred after was a reaction to the fact that peasant Catholics staged a violent uprising. (Fun-fact that further complicates this simple reading of history, Dutch traders helped arm the Shogun's efforts against the rebels.)

>meme arrows are only used for quoting

Misread your post desu, please ignore

S'all good, my man.

I'm going on mission to Japan next month. Does this book have any good tips and tricks?

Your main problem will be that Japanese today dgaf about Christianity either way.

Case in point: The only anime to have a proper working understanding of Catholicism is the coming-of-age Jazz story Kids on the Slope, and that's only because its director is a Westaboo

Not Catholicism specifically but Trigun has a pretty good representation of Christianity as well.

>Christian
More like Chris Chan.

LOL

>Why re the Japanese such dicks?

They're an island that lives right next door to one of the most populated and powerful countries on earth, and they've been to war with them at least twice. This has made Japan historically paranoid about losing their culture.

>Haha, Chris-chan, haven't thought of him in years
>Wonder what he's up to now
>Guess I'll just look it up...
>Dear god help me

You poor soul.
His vagina says hello :^)

This some kind of "why I hate whites" bit?

>This has made Japan historically paranoid about losing their culture.
>losing their culture
Most of their culture was straight up ripped from China. Heian fashion: their architecture, most of their written language, early literature, enormous parts of their religious beliefs, ideas about governing etc are all from China. They were frightened of China a lot of the time, but not because they would "lose their culture".

>Book thread based on the Movie that just came out.

This was my particular issue with the movie. It didn't go into WHY the Japanese were so adamant about executing Catholics, therefore painting the torturers with one large brush

And I think we can agree that Inoue is shown as being flamboyant (irl he was a homosexual) which I thought distracted from the ultra serious tone

>superior nipponese narrative ruined by the white man's film
God I wish I were born Japanese

lareviewofbooks.org/article/white-men-mission-martin-scorseses-long-silence/

>It's another movie critique that tries to tie in with modern identity politics and the evil white man