Quantum Mechanics and Consciousness

If there's no observers, the wave function does not collapse.
Choose carefully between these 4 options and pick only one, Veeky Forums.
Feel free to elaborate your choice.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Neumann–Wigner_interpretation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpretations_of_quantum_mechanics#Quantum_information_theories
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

imo

I dabble in physics and philosphy for fun, but I really dont grasp alot of things concerning quantum mechanics. What is the general consensus of the scientific community regarding the double slit experiment? Is it really spooky observer stuff or is that a meme? Also what are the main elements in quantum studies that make the field un reconcilable with classical physics? And how exactly does something like string theory solve these problems?

"Observer" has absolutely nothing to do with consciousness. We have this thread every fucking day. Now fuck off back to /x/.

>"Observer" has absolutely nothing to do with consciousness. We have this thread every fucking day. Now fuck off back to /x/.
you're a brainlet. I suggest you never post to another QM thread. you simply lack the IQ necessary to understand it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Neumann–Wigner_interpretation

You didn't even read the whole article. He later retracted his explanation. The universe doesn't give a shit what you think, and it's the heisenberg uncertainty principle, not the collapse of the wave function that gives rise to the patterns. If it were simply conciousness interacting with the system, the slits would not be needed.

but that's wrong.

Prove it :^)

>:^)
kys. brainlet.

This is not science.

Call me a brainlet, but I see no connection between the pic related and the OP's statement. Can someone explain it to me?

Wow. There still are people who believe in the consciousness thing? It's the same with "muh quantum immortality". Some people just can't accept their lives are PATHETIC, MISERABLE AND MEANINGLESS. Your consciousness just disappears when you die. Life is sad. Stop making pseudo-science threads.

I perfer this.

Science = Consciousness

Natural science is the study of natural human experience, scientific method can only work with what we experience consciously, physics doesnt include anything that its not percieved so separating physics with consciousness its nonsense.

C

The connection is that both the picture and OP's words are fucking retarded bullshit

If you think consciousness has anything to do with quantum mechanics I got a big fat dick for your poopy hole.

I don't think you understand what is meant by observer.. the word has an everyday meaning, but it also has a precise technical meaning. The experiments that inspired quantum theory have nothing to do with observers in the colloquial sense.

Prove it, brainlet.

Look at all these low IQ idiots and laugh at them. This slide is from Sean Carroll's talk. All of you should just kill yourselves for being stupid. Hope you respawn as someone with a brain. Best of luck to you.

Sean can suck my wiener I don't give a fuck man

observing just means interacting
that's all

I pick B morally speaking, but I pick C practically speaking. You wouldn't model economics starting with electrons.

it has nothing to do with conciousness.

Humans and our machines are basically these gigantic reality warping hyperdense objects of near infinite complexity who are essentially exploding with energy

observing a quantum mechanical system requires that we interact with it.

thats why it changes the system. in some experiments a single electron has served the purpose of being an "observer"

youll be laughing that you said that thing about quantum immortality when youre a 98000000000000000000000000 year old mechanical space god forever running simulations about life in a void of nearly maximum entropy.

Consciousness and self-awareness seem more like a biological problem and not some kind of physical concept.
So no, I don't think physics should deal with consciousness.

i was going to say this when this thread was first posted

good job user

all of the above

consciousness isnt a real thing , its a shitty meme of edgy philosophers from hundreds of years ago.

consciousness has a theory called physics that sometimes allows us to predict how things will behave

You sound like such a beta.

C seems obvious.

The consciousness is a property that arises only through the physics that allow it. Without such physics, it would not arise. Therefore, B.

Correct sir

Consciousness is basically just matter organized in a complex way

Personal inchoate crank theory:

We need to trust the equations. The Bell inequalities mean that there is no local realism as far as the underlying dynamics of the universe are concerned.

The illusion of local realism is a purely metaphysical phenomenon. How about as a manifestation of your soul?

This neatly sidesteps the meaninglessness of moral decisions in a many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics. The only decisions that matter are the decisions you make based on your physically non-existent but metaphysically imposed sense of local realism, which provides you with a metaphysical means of interaction with other souls over what ultimately reduce to quantum fields interfering with each other.

Pity this idea is still raw newage.

proofs?

>If there's no observers, the wave function does not collapse.

"Observers" means anything that interacts with the wave function, no sentient beings.

At least look for it on Wikipedia before posting this.

>reddit spacing
>completely wrong
>retarded for not even realizing where he went wrong
wew lad. you went full retard. you should go back where you came from.

Yes! /cheer_at_you

The term observer really is the problem here. A better term would be "verifiable interaction with an external system". In the double slit experiment no human observer is necessary, the phenomenon still arises when you have a simple program analyzing the results. Observation in this context simply means that its location in the universe was verified. Its really a much better arguement for the simulation hypothesis than it is for some spooky consiousness conspiracy, as it shows that at the quantum level the laws of physics really dont give a fuck what particles do until it has an effect on something else. Almost like the universe stops rendering really tiny shit to save on processing power.

D is reality.

>no human observer is necessary
But how would you know that? We are all humans and ultimately we are the ones observing even if the machine is "detecting" it maybe the universe doesn't truly decide until a conscious observer interprets the information.

this guy is onto something.
personally, I think we're in a simulation so this makes the most sense to me as well.

This. "Observation," no matter how it is ever done, must/will necessarily entail and proceed through physical processes. The system takes a definite state as a result of these interactions/processes

>dude like all science is done by human observers so what if like the universe doesn't decide in classical mechanics until it's observed
>dude what if i'm just a brain in a tank lmao

>simulationfag
Fuck, spoke too soon.

>If there's no observers, the wave function does not collapse.

Observe in the context of physics means 'to fuck in order to get information out'. It isn't the 'get information out' part that is the problem, it is the 'fuck with' part and that can happen in contexts other that observation.

>Observe in the context of physics means 'to fuck in order to get information out'
Frankly I'm surprised there aren't more girls in STEM

simulation makes most sense if you've actually studied quantum mechanics.

if you knew a thing or two about IQ and brain structure, you wouldn't be so surprised, baka.

Well, see, I have, and I'm kinda curious how you managed to come up with that idea

do you know about MWI? have you gone through the equations?
what's interesting is that MW interpretation also works with no worlds at all... aka zero worlds. that's equivalent to a simulation argument.
when a (very famous QM) prof showed me the reasoning after a talk he gave, I was amazed that more people don't subscribe to that interpretation. I guess it's too radical and people might think you're insane when it makes perfect sense.
by far, the best QM interpretation is this one:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpretations_of_quantum_mechanics#Quantum_information_theories

>many worlds "interpretation" but with zero worlds
>somehow this is equivalent to "the (our) universe is a simulation running in another universe"
What
Lol what are the equations which justify this

Here skeladies and gentleletons, a few more examples of poor earthlings fooling themselves into thinking their life has any intrinsic value. They do not yet understand the nature of life is meaningless suffer, and nothing else.

>Lol what are the equations which justify this
extension of classical information theory with complex numbers. it fits perfectly into MWI model. look up some papers on arxiv.

Or you could make the argument/provide the references

thats WAY too easy user, gotta make you do all the work yourself :^)

>extension of classical information theory with complex numbers
>look up some papers on arxiv
it's really obvious you don't have shit, you fucking brainlet liar

I'm on a phone. no links/papers. goo look up papers by Mermin et all. another interesting interpretation is TIQM but I don't know as much about it but it's extremely interesting.

you don't deserve to even understand this stuff. go away fool.

>I don't have anything :((( I just googled a name

The thread will still be here when you get back to comp bby :)