Veeky Forums META THREAD

Okay Veeky Forums, I've noticed a little quirk about this site that's a little annoying, and I think we would all agree would be a nice permanent change to the rules here on Veeky Forums.

Obviously, Veeky Forums is for posts related to science/math, but it seems to be an unspoken rule that most of the time (emphasis on most), posts related to academia are excused.

However, there are instances where mods ban users rather inconsistently for posting non-Veeky Forums related material (but is still related to academia). I made a post a day or two ago about grad school applications and got banned, while pic related stayed up for a few days and, by the looks of it, probably maxed.

Can we please have a rule added to Veeky Forums allowing academia-related posts? It's already an unspoken rule, and the only thing not having this rule creates is inconsistent bans and quite a bit of frustration. I can't be the only user that thinks this.

>inb4 go to /adv/

Really? C'mon

tl;dr All academia-related content should be allowed on Veeky Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/sci/thread/S9021768
warosu.org/sci/thread/S9027740
warosu.org/sci/thread/S9015288
warosu.org/sci/thread/S9007528
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lecturer
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Posting more "Veeky Forums"-related content.

Academia threads should be banned. Take that circlejerking and shitposting to /b/

Cute bait kiddo. 90% of posts on this site are academia-related. If all of those posts were removed and their posters banned, Veeky Forums would only be consciousness threads, race threads, and IQ threads.

Something isn't science/math related if you just put "in math" at the end of the post.

"How do I get into a good grad school?
for math."

I also agree, user.

This or just make an academia board or something and group Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums together

>board is for science and math
>hurr let's talk about things that aren't science and math because I'm to retarded to talk about science and math

Besides the slower the board, the better the quality. Now neck yourself brainlet

Bump

>but it seems to be an unspoken rule that most of the time (emphasis on most), posts related to academia are excused.
Can brainlets not even read the sticky?

>Reminder: Veeky Forums is for discussing topics pertaining to science and mathematics, not for helping you with your homework or helping you figure out your career path.

>If you want advice regarding college/university or your career path, go to /adv/ - Advice.

>Can brainlets not even read the sticky?

Can you understand what unspoken rule means?

>genuinely interesting post on Veeky Forums regarding thoughtful topic
>2 replies
>404

>lel, race and iq are linked
>6 gorillion replies
>pinned
>archived
>screencapped

I really don't know what you're talking about user, as most "good" threads are diluted in the abundance of ACADEMIA-related posts (my point).

I want what you want.

Why would there be an unspoken rule that academia threads are allowed when there's a spoken rule that they're not allowed?

Also bans are inconsistent because mods aren't on 24/7 and because people report some threads more than others, not because some threads that are against the rules are allowed and other threads breaking the same rule aren't allowed

Please read the post.

Thank you. I really can't comprehend how everyone doesn't see this.

because it's not an enforced rule, have you never heard of an unspoken rule in real life? Like some road where the limit is 50 but cops only arrest at 80?

>because it's not an enforced rule
Then why did OP get banned?

>Please read the post.
Which post?

>This or just make an academia board

How long have you been using this site?

These threads are on the front page 24/7, that's not a very good excuse. Go look now, and tomorrow morning, look again. It's a moot point.

I think he meant the op

Inconsistency as a result of an unspoken rule, as stated

>How long have you been using this site?
11 years

>These threads are on the front page 24/7, that's not a very good excuse. Go look now, and tomorrow morning, look again. It's a moot point.
It's a perfectly reasonable explanation considering some get banned and some don't. If moderation was more consistent and more people reported off-topic threads like academia ones they would all get deleted. If there was no moderation at all none would get banned.

Oh so you're either baiting or genuinely have a learning disability. Reread your post, you're literally saying to encourage slow, on topic and interesting threads by spamming off topic threads that are just shitposting and circle jerking despite the fact that they will kill the good threads

>I think he meant the op
I did, that's what I replied to

>Inconsistency as a result of an unspoken rule, as stated
But the rule against academia threads is written down clearly in the sticky, why do you call it an unspoken rule?

>Then why did OP get banned?

Most of the time they aren't banned. Also I'm surprised they banned op and didn't just delete the thread

Even if I did accept your latter point, I would implore you to ask Veeky Forums users how often they report academia-related threads.

I think you know what I'm getting at. Academia-related threads are part and parcel of Veeky Forums.

Fine, so we agree that something needs to be done. Thank you user.

>But the rule against academia threads is written down clearly in the sticky, why do you call it an unspoken rule?

Please use the catalog and look for yourself. Try and create an academia related post. You won't get banned.

Then, try and post a "traps are not gay" thread. You will get banned.

Go through your logic there.

>I got banned for posting about academia
>can we make a rule that academia threads are allowed since it's an unspoken rule
>ok I get that they are expressly banned, but it's not enforced
Rinse and repeat

>Most of the time they aren't banned. Also I'm surprised they banned op and didn't just delete the thread
Because this is a slow board where threads almost certainly don't get as many reports as somewhere like /pol/ or /b/ or /v/ or /r9k/ etc.

>I would implore you to ask Veeky Forums users how often they report academia-related threads.
I report all of them, I assume I'm not the only one.

>I think you know what I'm getting at. Academia-related threads are part and parcel of Veeky Forums.
So are race and IQ threads, homework threads, flat earth threads, etc. Doesn't mean any of them are math or science related.

>Please use the catalog and look for yourself. Try and create an academia related post. You won't get banned.
As I've already said, inconsistent moderation.

And OP already got banned for one, so how is this supposed to be an argument?

>Because this is a slow board
Veeky Forums is far from a slow board. surely you must browse retard infested fast boards to think that.

>Veeky Forums is far from a slow board. surely you must browse retard infested fast boards to think that.
Do you have any idea how little sense this makes? Now I'm not surprised that you can't even read the sticky

I agree.

An overwhelming majority of science and math research occurs in the context of academia. And the majority of quality, non-popsci, non-/pol/-tier posts come from serious academics.

>Because this is a slow board where...
Make a post on any one of the topics mentioned in your post

> I report all of them
I can only assume you're in the minority by the amount of non-Veeky Forums threads we BOTH agree with seeing

> So are race and IQ threads...
It's a broken user. I proposed we fix it. An easy solution is allowing those posts, creating a new board, etc. Thus the reason for this meta thread

>And the majority of quality, non-popsci, non-/pol/-tier posts come from serious academics.
They also come from people who presumably eat food every day, that doesn't mean that food threads should be allowed.

>Make a post on any one of the topics mentioned in your post
For the tenth time: inconsistent moderation

>I can only assume you're in the minority by the amount of non-Veeky Forums threads we BOTH agree with seeing
Yes, relatively fewer people report threads on Veeky Forums than on other boards because there's less people here than on other boards, this much should be clear

>It's a broken user. I proposed we fix it. An easy solution is allowing those posts, creating a new board, etc. Thus the reason for this meta thread
There's already a board, as the sticky says, /adv/

>Do you have any idea how little sense this makes?

I can understand that you have difficulty understanding that I am right.

>OP already got banned, therefore it works

Please don't post if you're not willing to contribute to the conversation. If you're going to do that, you can go to a flat-earth board.

>They also come from people who presumably eat food every day, that doesn't mean that food threads should be allowed.
False equivalency

Academia quite literally exists for the express purpose of collaboration on research

>They also come from people who presumably eat food every day, that doesn't mean that food threads should be allowed

what the fuck are you smoking?

There are 62 posters on a thread posted a day ago elsewhere on Veeky Forums. Veeky Forums is not a slow board (not speaking comparatively). If you're an oldfag as you claim, you can't be so naive as to think making any thread on race/IQ will get you at least 80+ posters within a day.

>there's less people here than on other boards

no there isn't.

>Veeky Forums is not a slow board

this is what I said, retard. Go back and read

>I can understand that you have difficulty understanding that I am right.
Veeky Forums is nowhere near as fast as the other boards, Veeky Forums and /adv/ were introduced the same day as Veeky Forums and even those have more posts

>Please don't post if you're not willing to contribute to the conversation. If you're going to do that, you can go to a flat-earth board.
What part confuses you? There's a rule, enough people reported a thread for breaking the rule, thread gets deleted.

>Academia quite literally exists for the express purpose of collaboration on research
And food literally exists so that researchers can be alive to do research. What's your point?

>what the fuck are you smoking?
Logic.

>>no there isn't.
So why are there less posts here than on Veeky Forums or /adv/, two boards introduced the same day as Veeky Forums?

>lurks on Veeky Forums for a month
>posts on meta

>lurks on Veeky Forums for a month
see

Okay, I'll go slow for you.

> Veeky Forums is nowhere near as fast as the other boards

This does not mean that it's not visited often and by a decent amount of people. That's like saying "Usain Bolt isn't fast because a cheetah runs faster". Logic, huh? Apply it.

> There's a rule, enough people ...

NO ONE reports those threads because most of them STAY UP.

Not even addressing your third retort because you're just embarrassing yourself.

> Logic

K

> so why are there less posts

Literally not an argument. See the beginning of my post

holly shit you're stupid.

Veeky Forums and /adv/ aren't the only boards on this website, stop trying to railroad the argument to board history.

>what the fuck are you smoking?
>Logic

please do smoke logic.

>with the fucking food again

stop.

You really don't seem like you've been on this board for a long time by what you've been saying.

>This does not mean that it's not visited often and by a decent amount of people. That's like saying "Usain Bolt isn't fast because a cheetah runs faster". Logic, huh? Apply it.
Does me adding the word "relatively" in front of fast make things clear for you? If any board has threads getting more reports, that shows up with more priority for the janitors/mods.

>NO ONE reports those threads because most of them STAY UP.
Threads don't get deleted just by having a lot of reports, they get deleted by having a lot of reports and a janitor/mod being online.

>Veeky Forums and /adv/ aren't the only boards on this website, stop trying to railroad the argument to board history.
When did I say they were?

>You really don't seem like you've been on this board for a long time by what you've been saying.
I've been here long enough to read the sticky, and for the threads I make to not get deleted for breaking rules.

>And food literally exists so that researchers can be alive to do research. What's your point?
No, food also supports the other 9 billion people on the planet who don't do research.

This isn't hard.

>No, food also supports the other 9 billion people on the planet who don't do research.
And academia is also for teaching. What's your point?

The points fundamental to your arguments are flawed and shitty. I can't understand how you can't see it.

> rule is in the sticky argument

Unspoken rule excuses many non-related threads. Anons are dissuaded from breaking the rules by their chances of getting caught, not their punishment. If academia-related threads are allowed on Veeky Forums, maybe more reports/attention would be given to those threads which REALLY don't belong on Veeky Forums.

> inconsistent mods

So why waste their time on posts that, when academia-related, are for the most part relevant to what this board is about (math and science)?

I agree with the op but
>group Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums together

would be amazing. It would be the ultimate intellectual board

>Unspoken rule excuses many non-related threads. Anons are dissuaded from breaking the rules by their chances of getting caught, not their punishment. If academia-related threads are allowed on Veeky Forums, maybe more reports/attention would be given to those threads which REALLY don't belong on Veeky Forums.
What part of
>Reminder: Veeky Forums is for discussing topics pertaining to science and mathematics, not for helping you with your homework or helping you figure out your career path.
>If you want advice regarding college/university or your career path, go to /adv/ - Advice.
leaves ambiguity that academia threads really don't belong on Veeky Forums?

>So why waste their time on posts that, when academia-related, are for the most part relevant to what this board is about (math and science)?
Because it's not the expressed purpose of this board, same reason you don't see academia posts on mathoverflow

>I can't understand how you can't see it.

most of the time theses kind of people subconsciously know they're full of shit but they convince themselves they aren't. The worst kind of person.

>And academia is also for teaching. What's your point?
All the people who teach in academia also do research.

And a major part of what they teach is the art of research, to graduate students.

>All the people who teach in academia also do research.
Now I'm starting to doubt you've even set foot in a university.

>leaves ambiguity that academia threads really don't belong on Veeky Forums?

post an academia thread.

post an off-topic thread like "are traps gay?"

see which one gets deleted.

there you go, buddy.

>see which one gets deleted.
Well if you're OP, the academia one gets banned.

There you go, buddy.

you know damn well the academia thread won't get deleted.

It's funny, I was going to say the same thing about you.

>you know damn well the academia thread won't get deleted.
Why would I know that? OPs got deleted, and others do too:
warosu.org/sci/thread/S9021768
warosu.org/sci/thread/S9027740
warosu.org/sci/thread/S9015288
warosu.org/sci/thread/S9007528

>It's funny, I was going to say the same thing about you.
There's plenty of people paid only to teach and not to do research.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lecturer
> the term lecturer generally denotes an academic expert without tenure in the university, who is hired to teach on a full- or part-time basis, but who is not paid to conduct research.

Next non-argument?

>lets make the board even slower by catering to my tastes

huh... do you understand how that doesnt make any sense?

>i think we would all agree
obviously not if people are posting in the threads
>ctrl-f banned
>20 results
ok you're just butthurt.

do you understand if you let your feelings fade everything will be like it ever was?

nigga your stupid

and your autistic and stupid

so this is the type of winning content that will replace Veeky Forums when academic threads are banned?

ha, it's not going to happen kiddo, find another corner to play in

>and your autistic and stupid
Very convincing rebuttal. You've changed my mind on the whole thing

>the term lecturer generally denotes an academic expert without tenure in the university, who is hired to teach on a full- or part-time basis, but who is not paid to conduct research.
To even become a professor, they had to complete a Ph.D., which means that they did in fact conduct original research, regardless.

Either way, so what if there's a small minority of professors that doesn't conduct actively research? 99% of food-eaters don't do research. Your analogy is still invalid, and is the very definition of a non-argument.

>go to catalog for 4 seconds
>play a game of spot the academia-related threads

Anyone ITT who still doesn't see my point is beyond any amount of electroshock therapy.

>this one user called me a name so therefore the point OP is trying to make is dumb lel

it's just one autistic user that wants academia banned.

he still args because

>To even become a professor, they had to complete a Ph.D., which means that they did in fact conduct original research, regardless.
Lecturers aren't professors, that's why they're called lecturers.

> 99% of food-eaters don't do research. Your analogy is still invalid, and is the very definition of a non-argument.
You realize most academics don't do scientific or mathematical research either right?

>science and math
>virtually every legit scientist and mathematician has been through academia

science and math are not just hobbies and interests, they are also careers.

>virtually every legit scientist and mathematician has been through academia
Should we talk about tying shoes since most scientists and mathematicians have walked around a lot?

>they are also careers.
Which is addressed by the sticky, career talk belongs on /adv/.

Just stop responding to the annoying twit. Only God can help him by the looks of it.

Why did you circle a thread about linguistics and a thread about cryptology? You seem to have trouble discerning on-topic from off-topic

not an argument

again, moot point

You're actually just proving your incessant lack of genuine critical thought and showing every user who has the mispleasure of perusing this particular thread how lost Veeky Forums is knowing that the likes of you dwell within our midst.

With my deepest and most sincere pleading, I beg of thee,

didn't know linguistics was a scientific study until just this moment, and didn't read the full header of the latter. tbqh, I am rather frustrated I'm sharing this board with the likes of

>not an argument
> again, moot point
> You're actually just proving your incessant lack of genuine critical thought and showing every user who has the mispleasure of perusing this particular thread how lost Veeky Forums is knowing that the likes of you dwell within our midst.
> With my deepest and most sincere pleading, I beg of thee, You're still stuck at the bottom, my friend.

What argument needs to be made? There's a rule against academia threads on Veeky Forums, while you're encouraged to post them on /adv/, so what's the issue?

> tbqh, I am rather frustrated I'm sharing this board with the likes of (You)
Why?

You know what would be hilarous?

If this poster was a mod.

>Lecturers aren't professors, that's why they're called lecturers.
You didn't know there are professors with non-tenure, teaching-only contracts?

>You realize most academics don't do scientific or mathematical research either right?
>resorting to semantics
It should have been obvious to you that ITT we're talking specifically about science/math academia.

All steps of that triangle have been made against you, and your blatant illustration of the Dunning-Kruger effect still seems to convince you that you have an iota of sense spilling from your keyboard even though every single user has addressed your points critically only to have you repeat yourself or provide a nonargument like some angry step-child.

if you want a retort, see above. You make less sense than any brainchild of Rudin, and that's saying something

>You didn't know there are professors with non-tenure, teaching-only contracts?
Yes, those are professors, not lecturers.

>It should have been obvious to you that ITT we're talking specifically about science/math academia.
And it should have been obvious to you that I was only talking about food eaten by scientists and mathematicians.

ok so you're just trolling because
>this one user called me a name so therefore the point OP is trying to make is dumb lel
is exactly what happened to my post.

so you just want sci to be shitposting 24/7?

also doesnt have a single instance of "advice regarding college/university or your career path,"

ALSO

on other boards the same shit happens, /g/ gets tech support threads and desktop threads, /v/+/tv/ gets porn threads that stay up late at night, people on Veeky Forums arent always excellent to eachother.

the more i think about it the more retarded this whole thing sounds.

OP isnt talking about academic advice threads
OP and probably you are just butthurt about being banned
Neither of you can come up with a single good reason other than "i dont like these threads and nobody else does too so ban them"

Holy fuck im an idiot for responding

>if other people break the rules I should be able to
>legitimately thinking circlejerking about grades/school is science or math related
Just fuck off already, you attention whores and /pol/ are what's killing this board

>lol post your face and your favorite fetish and guess what other people's favorite games are XDDD
is not vidya and shouldn't be on /v/, this isn't any better

It wouldn't seem he cares much about the quality of Veeky Forums, as the only thing he has yet to do is provide a solution to the OP.

>All steps of that triangle have been made against you, and your blatant illustration of the Dunning-Kruger effect still seems to convince you that you have an iota of sense spilling from your keyboard even though every single user has addressed your points critically only to have you repeat yourself or provide a nonargument like some angry step-child.
Feel free to point out such a nonargument.

>It wouldn't seem he cares much about the quality of Veeky Forums, as the only thing he has yet to do is provide a solution to the OP.
The solution is already in place with the sticky: math and science threads on Veeky Forums, academic threads on /adv/.

academia-related threads are relevant to science/mathematics.

there's your reason

now begone thot

see

see

>implying the majority of Veeky Forums agrees

pls go

Academia is not about dick measuring and freshman bragging about how they won the lottery.
It's about facilitating the growth and production of ideas and research. The shit people get into with politics is a side effect of humans being garbage.

>is not vidya

exept it is vidya related.

Obviously OP isn't about dick-waving. Stop trying to defeat the argument by providing examples clearly not specified by the OP

i cant actually believe someone is this ego-centric on a science board. you are just having a laugh right?

why would we want sci to be full of people who make up rules and think everybody who isn't responding to them agrees with them. Some kind of bizzaro sci

>implying IQ threads aren't dick waving

??????

>implying the majority of Veeky Forums agrees
>pls go
There's only 12 posters in this thread, so if most of Veeky Forums wanted academia threads they're not very vocal about it.

I cant actually believe someone is this ego-centric on a science board. you are just having a laugh right?