800 page Russian novels

What is the origin of this meme? Seriously, it seems like every time I find a Russian novel I want to read it turns out to be >700p. Is "editor" not a profession in Russia or something?

git gud

>wants to read
>doesn't want to read THAT much

pleb

sounds like YA is more up your alley, check out /r books! :^)

/thread

"Editor" is just another word for capitalist who wants to benefit from the labour of the writer

it's basically a publisher's younger brother

This isn't exclusive to Russia, but many classic novels were published as serials, meaning that the author's paycheck relied on them being able to fill space and drag out the story. Most of the novels by Dostoevsky and Tolstoy were originally published in a magazine called 'The Russian Messenger,' for example.

This.

For a tangentially related reason, lots of fanfics and web serials are terrifyingly long.

Have you tried Stephen King or maybe watching a Marvel comics film? There's a Spider-man one coming out soon

>Notes from Underground

>all the people defending tomes ITT

I can't name a single monumental work of literature that is much over 200k words.

>All of the books in the Bible
>All of Plato's works
>Moby Dick
>All of Shakespeare
>Van Goethe
>Homer

Honestly, popularization of the novel was the death knell of literature. I can't think of much worth reading that isn't poetry or philosophy. There are some rare exceptions but they're always heavily influenced by poetry and philosophy, anyway. Maybe you fags should stick to Harry Potter or Game of Thrones if you think anything profound requires length > 200k.

So, they were original mangakas?
Was "The Russian Messenger" prototype of "Shounen Jump"?

Yeah, you get it. But I think it was all over the world not only in Russia
Okay, OP, let's count with you
>Mepтвыe дyши
>Oтцы и дeти
>Acя
>Гepoй нaшeгo вpeмeни
>Кaпитaнcкaя дoчкa
>Oблoмoв
>Иcтopия oднoгo гopoдa
It's 19th century only. The lsit goes on...

>it's another "Raskolnikov outwits the police through the power of friendship and hard work" chapter

mertwyje duszy - dead souls
otcy i deti - fathers and sons
asja - ?
geroi naszego wremeni - ?
kapitanskaja doszka - ?
oblomow
istorija odnogo goroda - ?

lmao is this real? hard to believe he hates it that much

oh you make me google english translations!
Asya of Turgenev
A Hero of Our Time of Lermontov
TheCaptain's Daughter of Pushkin
The History of a Town of Mikhail Saltykov-Shchedrin

I love you user haha

hahaha lol

long novels was a 19th century thing, not a russian thing, ya stinky pleb

You have to understand something:
At the time, reading was for the few who had money, aka time to lose. There was no tv, net or other things. Aside social events, the only thing you could do, beside travel, was enjoy reading.

i laughed even tho im too pleb to recognize the reference

what about wanking

This, 19th century literature suffers from commercial forces compelling writers to be as bloated and long-winded as possible. Same thing happened in the 19th century with excessively melodramatic popular painting and long-winded music.

There's a reason minimalism became a thing.

You're transliteration sucks

I recommend killing yourself you fucking idiot.

hard to do during your commute

> Oi guvna', I'll give ya a cab ride to the bank-- 'old on a tick, what are ya doin' with ye trouser snake!

Anything less than 500 pages is a book for high schoolers

>this never happens

Realism, my friend.

This picture is cruel, who could do that to poor thom

haha thanks guys

funny you mention that—IIRC, dickens was a master at playing this game. his stories would come out as serials, then he would print and bind the full works when they were complete.

he went door-to-door selling these novels, while collecting his customer's old newspapers. then, he would bind together the newspaper serials in a super-deluxe commemorative edition and sell it back to the people who had given him the papers in the first place! not to mention he was paid by the word; what a leech, lmao.