The universe is inifite

>the universe is inifite

No one knows anything.

I haven't read that book before

How do you know? Have you seen its end?

I was raised christian and as a child the concept of living eternally in the afterlife was terrifying

>trying to understand concepts that can't be found on earth where your species evolved it's intellectual faculties

You know, I'm actually fucking tired of this shit. Everybody on the internet thinks they are onto something special and amazing for questioning the most basic information, well, let me tell you something. All of the 'normies' you faggots look down on have been in the same space, it was called being a teenager, then they realised there was no point in thinking about things nobody has the answer to and there are bills to pay and actions to be taken in order for you to have some semblance of happiness. You know to who these questions are truly gratifying? Drugged up hippies.

Yeah, you sound like a happy human who knows the real stuff. You're so down to earth. Congrats.

Ever thought about having/doing both?
You can have a normie job, pay your fucking bills, be old and settled, AND still go on some philosophical journey every now and then, questioning things, and think about some crazy ideas. What's wrong with that, loser?

damn...

We'd never know if it was, because we'd be quantifying as much as we could explore until we stopped!

Space is finite, time is infinite.

Don't try to understand me , my mind is too deep for u ...

>stop asking questions, questions are evil
>be happy, obey, consume

>implying that something isn't space only because it is lacking objects

If you consider the second law of thermodynamics we can see that the universe tends towards disorder and decay. If there were an infinite number of days before today then why haven't the stars already burned out? Physicist PCW Davies says "The universe cannot have existed forever, otherwise it would have reached its equilibrium end state an infinite time ago." This means that if the universe were eternal, heat death would have already occurred.

Imagine a calendar stretching back in time forever. Time moves through the calendar one day at a time. If the universe had existed forever, then there would have been an infinite number of days before today. But how could time have reached this present moment if it had to traverse an infinite number of days to get here? If there were an infinite number of days before today, then there would always be "one more day" in history for time to move through, and today could never happen.

I don't know how anyone can seriously argue that the earth is infinite or eternal yet I see it all the time from Atheists.

>I don't know how anyone can seriously argue that the earth is infinite or eternal

I mean universe, not earth

Time is only (possibly) infinite in the future, not the past. So it's only possibly infinite.

>space
>time
hahah

When one stands at a random point in the universe, form that perspective it looks like the big bang started at that point. If one moves to another random point, it seems the same.

Well well well, what conclusion can we draw from this?

>the universe is

There is no conclusion because your premises are wrong. There is no point inside the universe that we could ever point to and say that's where the big bang started because the universe didn't exist before the big bang. We could only ever observe the universe expanding and infer from that, that the universe began expanding.

Just because there is a start point does not mean there is an end point.
When people say "the universe is infinite" they don't mean that it had always been, but that that it always will be.
More so, the universe is infinitely expanding, this is assuredly true and confines to the laws of physics.
Just because the energy of the universe decays in accordance to thermodynamics does not mean that space time itself will cease as general relativity states.
Now that the universe exists, it will always exist.

>If there were an infinite number of days before today then why haven't the stars already burned out?
the first post to make me actually think a little in some time
Thanks user.

>there was no point in thinking about things nobody has the answer to
why are you on this board?

>You know to who these questions are truly gratifying? Drugged up hippies.
Wouldn't it be "to whom?"

I imagine we can keep looking deeper into the night and seeing "more stars." Always more stars: and never, in all eternity would we stop seeing more stars farther away, never could we look into an area of dark and not see light.
This seems likely and obvious so there could never have been a big bang. The U had to have been poofed into what it is now, us as well. It is only our subjective perception that gives an illusion of red and blue shift.

really made me want more...

came here to post this

That's some Jayden Smith-tier shit.

not really

> If you consider the second law of thermodynamics we can see that the universe tends towards disorder and decay.

I never understood how people extend this maxim to the Heat Death Theory.

If everything is tending towards randomness, and systems are energy is spreading outwards to fill infinite space, and the end-goal was a lattice of "energy" (whatever that would mean) that was evenly distributed, wouldn't you have achieved total order?

Wouldn't that... be the opposite of tending toward decay?

I would assume if the system truly tended towards randomness, it would "snap" into a random configuration the moment it hit the asymptotic "heat death"

500800000 posts in and no one questions his horrible spelling.

This is a literature board, what is wrong with you fags?

and a system's energy*

>the universe can't be found on Earth

Hmm

Go oppress people with your hegemonic standards someplace else