How can I get better in academic writing?

How can I get better in academic writing?

Out of all the kinds of writing, this is probably the worst. So boring. Wish I could take creative writing or something.

Read any sentence in your text and ask the question "so what?". If that question is not answered, or answered unclearly or too far away in the text, then your text is not cohesive enough. Answer it.

Most important thing is to know exactly what you want to say (and stick to it). Nearly everyone of my fellow students writes like shit because they don't know what they want to say. Then all you have to do is figure out how to make your point, which you'll probably know by now since you know what you want to say. Treat your sentences as building blocks with which you make your argument, using as a strategy. In this process, use standard sentence structures and transition words, both of which actually do all the work for you. It's not that difficult, certainly not as difficult as writing literature.

any examples of good academic writing?

Step 1: learn to completely ignore the big picture, and ramble about mundane details for dozens of pages until the paper loses all semblance of direction.

Step 2: publicly praise other idiot's rambling, incoherent mess of gibberish until you kiss enough ass that you're published also.

^^^^^

Don't overcomplicate things. Use short, simple sentences. Academic writing isn't about subtetly and beauty, it's about explaining something clearly. Long sentences and complex wording are the signs of someone who clearly doesn't know what they're doing.

bump

step 1. read faust
step 2. kill yourself

>Don't overcomplicate things.
This is definitely not a trait of academia, but obscuring your intention or direction is probably the worst thing you can do.

>Use short, simple sentences.
Academic writing is characterised by relatively long sentences. Academic sentences are supposed to make a point in themselves and should contain causality or signify a relationship. Simple sentences are usually an introduction, an addition, or a conclusion based on the preceding building block sentences. It's always "considering...., ....." (x - y, building block) Thus, ... (conclusion). Then if you need to add another point: Furthermore, ... (addition). (need to clarify?): For example, ... Analyse or name relationship (x-y). Thus/therefore/hence, That is why the standard sentences and transition words I was talking about are so useful. Take the reader (and yourself) by the hand. In academic writing, you literally name what you're doing, be explicit about it. You're not writing a story, you're making many different points in order to prove your argument, and academic writing is designed to do that effectively.

Just go through academic databases. Academic writing differs greatly between, for example, medicine and social sciences.

Read the Craft of Research and The Nuts and Bolts of College Writing. Helped me tremendously my first year of college.

Also this

thanks.

Read journal articles online in the discipline you're in. You'll get a handle of the type of style that's required of you, if you're writing for that discipline.

I know personally in Political Science my professors always wanted it short, concise and thoughtful. Meaning that, don't just spout what you read off again in your own words -- put an opinion to it, but an informed one. Keep the sentences short, play around with sentence structure and punctuation to freshen the reader's mind. It helps them to pay attention.

In other words, just imagine yourself in the reader's (professor's) shoes, would they question such and such sentence? Does it need evidence? Are you sticking on point or are you boring the reader by going on a tangent.

All academic writing is, is just an argument with hyperformality.

How to get better in academic writing (at least how I got good. These tips got me published a lot at my university in Poland):
1. Read a lot of academic papers.
2. Read more academic papers.

>Polish academics

Which journals do you all like to look at for inspiration and in order to inform your writing?

Empson

what?

bump

There is a strong correlation with quality of scientific writing and impact factor of the journal, at least in my field (medicine).

Actually, scientific writing is the GOAT style of writing. You can't perform your little stylistic exercises in a vain attempt at presenting your special personality, you can't let your stupid "fantasy" rearrange the ever-same. You have to have cut clear through a defined part of reality and communicate that to the world. Good scientific writing is like clear thinking. If you think it's boring then go watch MTV.

Kant

I was wondering the same thing.

Lel STEMfag writer on lit

Medicine isn't STEM.

Still Muh "Scientific" Writing. The person should go back to redddit.

Keep it simple and direct. Each sentence should have a direct bearing on your overall argument, meaning it should either be speaking about it directly, or supporting some other point directly relevant to your overall argument.

Nuance is a possible way to engage with what your writing about a little more creatively, but it is best kept to a minimum for the sake of a clear, direct and concise argument.

Overall, it's about keeping it short and sweet. Don't waste words. Where words can be cut, do it. Where a point can be clearer, sort it. It's dull, but if it reads well and flows logically from one point to the next, and in a way that supports your overall argument, you're sorted.

Academic work written clearly and in plain English (where possible) is always a pleasure to read, because at the end of the day you're only there for the content.

>this is probably the worst. So boring.

Spoken like a true pleb

T. Stembabby

You should go back to school.

"Scientific writing" is a standing expression, there are books about how to do it right.

I can understand that it's not artsy enough for the underage folks here, but it is the written equivalent of uncluttered thought.

Pick up "On Writing Well" by Zinsser

Scientific writing is definitely something separate from scholarly writing more generally speaking.

Make long arguments on Veeky Forums. Not even joking.

All academic writing is is making an argument. If you think making an argument is boring then you're a cuck or something.

This. I have never considered myself much of a writer. In college, my major was mathematics. In my 4 undergrad years, I only took 4 classes that required me to write essays. I aced all of them. I realized it was because I type probably 5000+ words per week on Veeky Forums in the form of long argumentative posts. Norms just can't compete.

Argue with me, bitch.

this.

>How can I get better in academic writing?
read analytic philosophy or legal texts
the autism will rub off

ok