What does philosophy say about the upbringing of children? Is it OK to smack your child...

What does philosophy say about the upbringing of children? Is it OK to smack your child? What should you do when your child is throwing a tantrum or breaks a window?

>asking the board that worships nabokov how to raise your children
>ethics >aesthetics
you lick her eyeball

If you dont instinctually and intellectually know these answers, you are not ready to have children.

Read it JS Mill.

I was thinking to ask this question on /pol/, but I hate posting there because they always meme serious threads into oblivion.

Actually, I don't want to have children. I just want to oppose those 'traditionalist' morons who say that it's OK to smack your children (I live in an Eastern European country, so a lot of people hold this view), but I lack arguments.

you can oppose them all you want, you're not gonna change their minds anyway

t. slav

JS Mill said something about bringing up children?

Being able to take a beating is an important life skill that you have an obligation to teach your children.

You teach them that life is a sewer.

No he was a child with a parent like OP

What the hell does philosophy have to do with this?

Yes, it's fine to smack your shits if you have to for discipline. What are you going to do "talk to them about it" "explain to them why what they did was wrong"

Sure thats all fine and fucking dandy, but if the fucker needs a good smack up the side the head the fucker needs it.

"Withhold not correction from a child: for if thou strike him with the rod, he shall not die. "

read Republic
read about the lives of Montaigne, Mill, and whatshisface the roman guy

I dont think a parent should hit their kid, always best to try and talk and express understanding for rights and wrongs. But I understand sometimes the moments urge, like I have been bothered by my cat, and desired to hit it, not hurt it, but give it a equal or greater than annoyance, like even just lightly dangle whipping with a really soft string over and over, but at the same time it could equally be a gentlish tap on the buttocks.

I from experience do not know how difficult it is and can be, though I know it occurs, there is no reason a parent should want their child to throw a tantrum in public (or anywhere), and society generally does not want children/people to have tantrums in public, so the kid should be able to learn and comprehend this, or I am afraid they must be executed.

Breaks a window, on purpose, I mean, this subject is hard, with so much anger, and at in essence, an idiot, to yell, scream, near, to stamp and punch a pillow, I know this can be scarring and damaging to the kid, but people learn how 'valuable things are' and 'how annoying dealing with things being unnecessarily (though any breakage) broken', and it just comes to be, that 'idiot/jerks' break windows on purpose (unless like abandoned warehouse throwing stones, in fantasy land).

But even as people get older, and when younger, the heat of a moment, we all understand how one can be so angry, nothing else matters, but the steamful feeling of rage, the need to relieve tension, pent up energy, useful to catching that wild boar that just rammed into your side, what a good way to leave an indelible mark, to teach a lesson, pavlovian, this bad action, equals, this bad rage, if you dont want this bad rage, dont do this bad action.

Oh, you were playing stick ball, and hit the window by accident. It happens, but your grounded because your pitching sucks dweeb.

Hopefully, the rational intellect will develop soon enough, for the entity to comprehend the sensible behaviors and actions, and to not go through with them in a rare moment of mindless rage.

But, ok, so heated moment, maybe even on a debatable controversial topic, "you cant bring girls into our home, you are only 16", "but shes my girlfriend, were in love, youre literally ruining my life, and im literally shaking", "my house, my rules, end of story", *jumping roundhouse kicks vase off of desk and as it falls and shatters spilling its soil, foot lands in dirt and slips and is knocked unconscious, a 3 inch piece of polished plaster jutting from skull*

No worries son, its just some material, the well being of your spirit is infinitely more important, we can patiently, and calmly, reasonably discuss all aspects of the scenario, and reach the most objectively, appropriate and sensible conclusion.

"...shes coming over your shit fuckers"
"Thats it, outta the house! and dont come back"
"but its like 3 degrees out, I will die in less than an hour... its just a vase...shes just some material.."

>john stuart mill's face when

Children don't break windows: Negligent parents tell their kids not to do the careless things they do. Parents are accountable, esp guys. Kids who throw tantrums have parents who throw verbal or silent tantrums.

>that word salad
user, if you're in a cult, we can help get you out.

>Faggot furry talking about caressing his cat's ass
Fuck off retard. If you ever did manage to procreate your kids would probably make fun of you for being such a pussy loser.

I see you aren't familiar with Stephan Molyneux.

in short: effective parents don't just remove smacking but also replace it with a whole host of other behaviours such as emphasizing the principles behind rules rather than just the rules themselves, teaching a win-win approach to conflict resolution, teaching empathy, rewarding the child when they achieve expectations and removing rewards when they don't, never throwing tantrums or breaking windows themselves.

executed correctly, this will result in a child who's a bit of a sensitive pussy but who will also never throw a tantrum because the idea of disappointing you will mortify them. with that said, this is all much easier said than done; this style of parenting is the most demanding on the part of the caregiver, both in terms of energy and time.

My parents spanked me as a child, but it taught me the wrong rule, I think. Spanking seemed to teach the lesson "do what your parents say or they'll hit you," rather than "do what your parents say because they know best." They never talked to me or gave reasons for why my misbehavior was wrong. In the end i never gained anything as a person from spanking, besides slightly painful and haunting memories of the whole experience. Because it did nothing for me, I dont plan on hitting my kids if i ever have any.

>They never talked to me or gave reasons for why my misbehavior was wrong.

I think spanking is good as long as you stay calm yourself and explain everything.

You either knew, or could work out what you did wrong. Unless your parents were smacking you for abstract reasons, or you were too retarded to understand.

The former would mean your parents were abusive. Sorry. A good ass whooping should come with an explanation later when everyone has calmed down. The beating Is for immediate negative enforcement.

Children don't always hear words. They are literally low iq irrational humans

>having children

Why would you consult philosophy for this? Why don't you read some journal articles which relate to your questions or some books on child rearing?

the final redpill on smacking your children is that it doesn't matter at all

Dont let them watch anime or furry cartoons

The best way is to be so scary you don't need to smack them

If you can give your child a certain look, and they stop misbehaving, you've made it

There's a lot of philosophy that says quite a bit about it. You should go read some and save yourself from this cancer community.

Nobody does that anymore, you faggot
t. living in a eastern europe hellhole

ewww

Replace child with wife/mother/dad/stranger/friend/human.

Replace spank with assault.