Veeky Forums feels

>tfw you are a university student with knowledge of advanced techniques in analysis and algebra but when you go to the IMO's page for some problems you can't do a single one of them.

Git gud

At least I've found that in some cases you can mix partial derivatives and infinite descend to prove some inequalities involving integers.

I will feel dumb though. Kids out there don't even need to use partial derivatives to solve those problems. Am I a brainlet?

You're just bad at problem solving, like said you need to git gud

>You're just bad at problem solving
But I'm good at university mathematics. I've gotten A's in everything.

I believe you, and I should have clarified. Most math students are bad at problem solving in elementary topics. How many math students do you think could prove the steiner-lehmus theorem for example even though it only requires knowledge of elementary geometry?

I guess you are right. It just feels really bad man. I really don't want to discover I am actually too stupid for math and I feel like I should be able to do those problems.

Don't worry, it's quite normal, specially if you live in a developed country.

Here in Brazil the best colleges are public, and the competition to get a spot is hard as fugg.
Let's say you want to do mechanical engineering. Shit's like 50 spots for more than a 2000 people, and the exam is considerably hard in every aspect. English, portuguese, physics, math, you name it.

I graduated highschool in 2010, but it took me 3 years to beat the other faggots in the anual exam so I could enter this shit. I've spent a couple of years playing with problems like those.

They're hard not only for you, but for everyone. If you don't train hard, you won't be able to solve them, at least not in time. Since north-americans and europeans have other ways to enter good enough universities, they'd obviously struggle with IMO-tier problems.

Ruskies, chinks and indians on the other hand can be pretty familiar with it.

>lifelong macrobiologist
>Anthropocene
>detached from emotional connection to my external experience along time ago after consistent grief and injustice
>struggle to feel something for anything at all
>mostly nothing intellectual curiosity and agitation highlighted with brief happenings of sorrow or joy
>only feel okay on lsd
>everything that used to bring me joy is gone or existentially eroding

push me to the edge

>consistent grief and injustice
>muh first world problems

people outside of the "first world' lose everything they have over these problems to fill your supermarket. You too are losing everything, you are just too detached from the world you live in to know it.

Eventually the train tracks of undergrad textbook problems will run out, and you'll just be another boring, angry masters student who's trying to rationalize that what they study is "beautiful" when really it's just a bunch of jack off crap.

The only way you get good at solving problems is by solving problems.

Right now you're stuck in the mode of knowing your questions have a relatively short, sweet answer made up by someone else as a puzzle basically. Collecting answers and knowing there is an answer before you begin is not real problem solving ultimately, because it's just playing it safe. You might never escape your safe zone. And if you escape, you might end up working on the Collatz conjecture which is marginally better, and we already know how bad that is. So git gud.

>knowledge of advanced techniques of analysis and algebra
you are a retard mate. no offense.

The problem with you is that you just want the prize. You just want to say "Yeah I'm good at math." You just want to be lauded by others and by yourself. You worked hard when there were A's at stake in your classes.

But when you saw those IMO problems you couldn't solve, you felt dejected. You should have been overjoyed. You should have been happy for the chance to struggle to solve something, that there's still more to learn, that the process isn't over yet.

But you don't love the process.

And real mathematicians love the process as much or more than they love the prize. That's why they practice their craft for hours daily. The same way you faggots play vidya, watch anime, and post on imageboards for 6-12 hours a day, they're solving problems, working through proofs, and reading papers for 6-12 hours a day.

Pic related. The same quality in him that led to refusing a Fields medal and a $1M bounty for Poincaré is, ironically, the same quality that allowed him to win them in the first place.

A real man in the dark is putting in work even when nobody's watching. So go grind first and after you honestly put 100% of yourself into the process and still can't solve an IMO problem then come back and we can talk about whether you're too stupid for math.

>he same quality in him that led to refusing a Fields medal and a $1M bounty for Poincaré is, ironically, the same quality that allowed him to win them in the first place.
but the refusal had nothing to do with his ability, it was about how much of the award he thought he deserved

Is this real?

I said please be patient :(

>but the refusal had nothing to do with his ability, it was about how much of the award he thought he deserved
It did, because what led to his prodigious abilities is his love for the process and indifference towards the prize. It's not like he couldn't have taken the money and then given some of it to whoever he wanted. He didn't even want a dime.

I don't see how "indifference towards the prize" "led to his prodigious abilities".

>He considered the decision of the Clay Institute unfair for not sharing the prize with Richard S. Hamilton,[5] and stated that "the main reason is my disagreement with the organized mathematical community. I don't like their decisions, I consider them unjust."[6]

imagine not doing applied math lmao

>I don't see how "indifference towards the prize" "led to his prodigious abilities".
You didn't understand the post you replied to, then.

>You didn't understand the post you replied to, then.
Obviously... that's why I said
>I don't see how "indifference towards the prize" "led to his prodigious abilities".

To add to this, there's at least 7 billion people indifferent towards the Fields medal that aren't magically sprouting prodigious abilities.

7 billion people indifferent towards Millennium prizes*

Of course not. They don't love the process either.

I read somewhere on here that he refused the money because it would have been unwise for him to recieve a million dollars suddenly in russia.

It sounds less likely now that i've typed it since i am sure every other russian is not a thug

Alright, there are plenty of mathematicians who love the process working in areas of math that don't involve any Millennium prize problems. I still don't see how this helps gain "prodigious abilities".

>in order to love math you need to be able to solve IMO problems

Really got my neurons firing

>applied math
>answer is always known/easily attained from past models

nigga you dumb

>hard work and ability are uncorrelated

>>hard work and ability are uncorrelated
Did you miss the word prodigious? Anyway, the claim was that whether you care about prizes or not somehow has an effect on your abilities.

This is good advice for math. You have to challenge yourself to get better.

>Did you miss the word prodigious?
Please cite the mathematician of prodigious ability who developed their skill without hard work.

>Anyway, the claim was that whether you care about prizes or not somehow has an effect on your abilities.

The claim was:
>[they] love the process as much or more than they love the prize
Nowhere does "as much or more than" imply that they don't care about the prize at all. That's just a strawman, invented by you.

>Please cite the mathematician of prodigious ability who developed their skill without hard work.
That's not at all what I meant.

>The claim was: [they] love the process as much or more than they love the prize
I never responded to that claim (which I agree with), I responded to:
>what led to his prodigious abilities is his love for the process and indifference towards the prize
where the word "indifference" leads to the interpretation that "they don't care about the prize at all", hence is not a strawman.

That's not what he said, fucktard

>where the word "indifference" leads to the interpretation that "they don't care about the prize at all", hence is not a strawman.
in mathematics, when we say "X and Y", it means both X and Y, together.

>in mathematics, when we say "X and Y", it means both X and Y, together.
Now that we've gotten past the non-strawman, once again, how did his "indifference towards the prize" lead "to his prodigious abilities"?

>continuing to ignore the meaning of the word "and"
Nope, you're still strawmanning.

Ok, to make this easier for you:
How did "his love for the process and indifference towards the prize." lead "to his prodigious abilities"?

Many people have his prodigious abilities. He's not some one in seven billion anomaly of humankind in terms of his ability. He just applied his abilities for the love of the sport and not for the love of the pay. He did the math because he wanted to do more math.

You're confusing his mathematical ability for his other traits like patience and self-motivation. He didn't come upon the problem seeing something he's smart enough to know the answer to. He saw something that no one, including many smarter men than he, knew how to solve, and instead of being defeated by this nigh impossible problem, the depth of the rabbit hole excited him.

You missed the point entirely with your first response. The refusal of the money was never about his ability. No one said it was. His rejection of the reward speaks to him being a mathematician because he likes math, not because he wants validation. That's the contrast being drawn. A lot of people on Veeky Forums dickwave about how smart they are but dare not admit to a problem being beyond them. This guy saw a problem that was beyond him and used the opportunity to learn new things, things that no man had ever shared before.

If you like math, the prospect of learning new math from problems beyond your ability should excite you. If you don't, then you wouldn't be a very happy mathematician.

Gosh, let me quote A. Grothendieck

"Since then I’ve had the chance in the world of mathematics that bid me welcome, to meet quite a number of people, both among my “elders” and among young people in my general age group who were more brilliant, much more ‘gifted’ than I was. I admired the facility with which they picked up, as if at play, new ideas, juggling them as if familiar with them from the cradle–while for myself I felt clumsy, even oafish, wandering painfully up an arduous track, like a dumb ox faced with an amorphous mountain of things I had to learn (so I was assured) things I felt incapable of understanding the essentials or following through to the end. Indeed, there was little about me that identified the kind of bright student who wins at prestigious competitions or assimilates almost by sleight of hand, the most forbidding subjects.

In fact, most of these comrades who I gauged to be more brilliant than I have gone on to become distinguished mathematicians. Still from the perspective or thirty or thirty five years, I can state that their imprint upon the mathematics of our time has not been very profound. They’ve done all things, often beautiful things in a context that was already set out before them, which they had no inclination to disturb. Without being aware of it, they’ve remained prisoners of those invisible and despotic circles which delimit the universe of a certain milieu in a given era. To have broken these bounds they would have to rediscover in themselves that capability which was their birthright, as it was mine: The capacity to be alone."

This is from his "Recoltes et Semaille" you can find this quote somewhere in the beginning. What I wanted to say, don't fucking focus on these stupid problems, study mathematics you love

giv autistic gf

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but fuck it, I'm kind of desperate for advice.
So basically, I am from a shithole in south america, where the education level is as low as it gets (high school and university too, takes 6 years to graduate from engineering for example)
I decided two years ago that I am not studying in that shithole no matter what, so I started researching for scholarships and shit, I wanted to go to europe or america but those were too expensive, so I applied to a scholarship that pays EVERYTHING for you, and its in Japan. So I studied by myself from the internet and other resources for about 10 months literally all day, and I did it,I got the scholarship. I am out of that shithole, that was last year (had to compete with 15000 students worldwide and I am the second one that got it from my country in the past 15 years, not bragging just showing how shit my country is, 80 ppl get it from around the world) , now I am in japan in the "preparation year" stage.
The thing is, and I know its my own fucking fault but I still need some help on how to recover, since I passed the exams until I came to Japan I did NOTHING, so I forgot at least 80% of the things I have learned to pass (math, phys, chem, etc) even the basic bitch stuff, so I am sorrounded here by all these fucking geniuses, some of them are even fucking engineers, every one of them is elite level from their own country, they pretty much know a lot of shit (only advantage I have is that I am really fucking good at languages so in terms of learning japanese I am way more advanced, and thats a good thing since uni is in japanese but anyways)
cont.

We have to learn jap, math, phys and chem all in japanese, and its hard shit that I don't remember how to do, so I am having a shit ton of problems. I have my first important set of exams in september and I am FUCKED, I have the whole month of august for vacations though and I can try to recover there but I don't know how (can anyone who has experience on this please guide me or help me on how to get ready for this, please, I know I am a selfish prick and its my own fault but I can't help it)
I am trying every day to study in my free time in english, the things I need to re-learn, but I simply don't have enough time because of classes, I am having classes from 8 am to 6pm everyday and I have language exams and other bullshit every single day, also infinite homework, so this is my last chance, I don't wanna ruin everything I worked so hard for, I dont wanna ruin my chance to get into a top uni in japan, so many people have such high expectations of me and I am a piece of shit, more important than that I have my own expectations of me that I can't live up to and I know I am a dumb shit. I just don't know what to do. I'm sorry for writing this here I just don't have anywhere else to consult. Thank you.

>Many people have his prodigious abilities. He's not some one in seven billion anomaly of humankind in terms of his ability. He just applied his abilities for the love of the sport and not for the love of the pay. He did the math because he wanted to do more math.
>You're confusing his mathematical ability for his other traits like patience and self-motivation. He didn't come upon the problem seeing something he's smart enough to know the answer to. He saw something that no one, including many smarter men than he, knew how to solve, and instead of being defeated by this nigh impossible problem, the depth of the rabbit hole excited him.
>You missed the point entirely with your first response. The refusal of the money was never about his ability. No one said it was. His rejection of the reward speaks to him being a mathematician because he likes math, not because he wants validation. That's the contrast being drawn. A lot of people on Veeky Forums dickwave about how smart they are but dare not admit to a problem being beyond them. This guy saw a problem that was beyond him and used the opportunity to learn new things, things that no man had ever shared before.
>If you like math, the prospect of learning new math from problems beyond your ability should excite you. If you don't, then you wouldn't be a very happy mathematician.
The question was about his indifference towards the prize leading to his prodigious abilities, not whatever this off-topic tangent was about.

This is good post

Yes. New dead reefs are found all the time. Rising sea temperatures, biodiversty loss and climate change. There are estimates saying 90% will be gone by 2050 but I think that is naively conservative.
they say the seafloor is mostly unexplored. Think of all the dead shit we will find down there. Amazing.
Pic unrelated.