Poorly written

>poorly written
>laughably stupid sex scenes like injapanese visual novels
>plot reminds of bad action movies
I just can't read it.

When did you understand that you had grown up of genre fiction?

more like youre too stupid to get it so you start a thread for people to join you in your failure

Have you seen last Marvel movie? It's very kool, isn't it?

which? it seems theres a new one everyday

When I realized it was published in 1984, when the internet was still a top-secret government program known to about 20 people in the world and Gibson wasn't one of them.

Now go make me one of those street pies. And wash your hands first.

>poorly written
>laughably stupid sex scenes like injapanese visual novels
>plot reminds of bad action movies
How does it exclude these?

John Updike has won more Bad Sex Scene awards than any other American writer, but no one is asking him to give back his Pulitzer, his NBA, his two NBCCs, his Guggenheim, or his PEN/Faulkner.

What do you think a sex scene's purpose is in fiction?

>Plot reminds

Of a historical epoch you lack the humane empathy to imagine. Obviously. This one is your limitation not Neuromancer's. You have the pleb's infection with screen media.

>poorly written

Curious that someone so accomplished, with such impeccable judgement finds themselves in a position to judge so incisively. What do you think is good?

And while we're at it, share with the class your inductively reasoned version of the world 30 years from now, and check back to show us how close to the future you really were, using nothing more than observation and imagination.

That and Updike is dead user

>no one is asking the Updike estate to give back.......

>He doesn't like Japanese VNs
What a pleb

>John Updike has won more Bad Sex Scene awards than any other American writer, but no one is asking him to give back his Pulitzer, his NBA, his two NBCCs, his Guggenheim, or his PEN/Faulkner.

But we are talking about Neuromancer, user.
>What do you think a sex scene's purpose is in fiction?
Not to be funservice for wankers I suppose.
>Of a historical epoch you lack the humane empathy to imagine. Obviously. This one is your limitation not Neuromancer's. You have the pleb's infection with screen media.
So Die Hard reminds of historical epoch too? Cause Neuromancer is somewhere nearly.

>poorly written
It's written unintersetingle. author doesn't create imaginative scenes and situations. It's Game of Thrones level.

I have to agree with OP.

I really didn't like neuromancer. I took a break while reading Book of the New Sun and man it was steeply worse.

You can compare the sex scenes in BotNS to this if you want an example of good sex scenes or he'll, just go read a Pynchon sex scene.

I just found everything so ridiculous. I'm sure it was groundbreaking at the time and I went in expecting to love it based on my inherent love of noir and cyberpunk works like Blade Runner but man, this just didn't satisfy any of that.

Nowhere near even the quality of Chandler or Hammett

>John Updike has won more Bad Sex Scene awards than any other American writer
a) you mean the Bad Sex in Fiction Award, which he's only been given once
b) the Bad Sex in Fiction Award is purely a political smear that seeks to shame white masculinity and is unrelated to artistic merit

>unintersetingle
why can't I stop laughing at this

I haven't read Neuromancer, but yeah I'm sure you're a much better writer

>It's written unintersetingle.

i imagine it would be some kind of bored handjob fetish place run by a half french bastard.

have you read Updike's sex scenes? they ooze narciscissm and clumsy metaphors. Updike is a great stylist but he cannot write about sex.

> And then the cyborg ninja qt took off her shirt and I got to see her boobs
> we fucked

Neuromancer is a book that seems really awesome as a synopsis but doesn't add up in execution. Are all Gibson books like this?

>1
I invite you to read the rest of the scifi around that time.
>2
Sure, they were also no longer than 2 lines, clearly Gibson knew it wasn't his forte so he kept it short, yet I think the book would have suffered without them.
>3
Bad action movies I think started to appear some years after Neuromancer's pub date

I outgrew genre fiction around 15 probably but I still can see why people would like this, and really the difference between genre and literary fiction only concerns retailers and marketing people. Gibson himself has said that this is a book for teens (in No Maps for These Territories) written by someone older than that demo, and as far as I can see most people agree on it, and it doesn't stop them from enjoying a fun, light, fast book. If you dismiss Gibson from this book alone you're really missing out on some very interesting literature. Also if a book coming out now had the effect that Neuromancer had when it came out people would fucking flip, and probably someone in 2050 would be saying the same thing you're saying here.