Yukio Mishima

Hi Veeky Forums

Which book from him should I start with?

read the sticky

No.

Not OP but thanks for this.

Sun and Steel is a necessary read as a continuation of confessions

Dope as fuck; cheers.

just start with the Sea of Fertility tetralogy. it's his best work and he's not the type of author whose oeuvre builds off itself to any significant degree.

I really enjoy that picture of Yukio. I don't what it is about it that makes him look so beautiful.

london
5 uhclock
cum alone

Mishima appreciation thread!

temple of the golden pavilion or confessions of a mask
John nathan's biography of mishima is quite good(he knew mishima and translated some works of his)

I was the original poster for that pic, you kept the filename. My pc went bust and I lost a folder I had with +40 different pictures of him.

I guess older age and the too short haircut make Mishima look uglier in other pictures.

This honestly makes me feel very sentimental. It's like some poetic sort of justice on a Mishima Meme board. I love rare Mishimas. I remember the loads of writings and images I lost when my first laptop went RIP.

I wish I remembered the thread but it has been so long ago. I think I'll be heading to bed soon but I honestly hope to hear back from you soon.

>the call that saved Japan.

>Operator, get me the emperor.

I just woke up to this and am imagining the alternate history now.

chronological, dummy

well, if you're on goodreads and have posted your profile here I've probably friended you there.

I've only browsed goodreads as a meme when people post in it threads on here.

I still find Mishima a fascinating fellow and hope that maybe one day I will be able to contribute some sort of scholarship on his works/worldview.

Shit, I started with the golden pavillion.

Quick, unstart.

>He has friends and goes on goodreads regularly

I started with confessions

I started with Spring Snow and loved it.

I hated Golden Pavilion desu, I think a lot of it got lost in translation.

Also after he finished it he tried to overthrow the jap government then committed seppuku which is pretty neat.

Japanese*

Nip*

Glorious Nippon!

>tfw yamato-damashii

Just ordered After the Banquet, has anyone else in this thread read it? It seems less known than some of his other works.

It's good, it's one of the few stories he wrote with a female lead, and he wrote women very effectively. The plot isn't amazing, but I found it engaging.

>Also after he finished it he tried to overthrow the jap government then committed seppuku which is pretty neat.

no. he kidnapped a base commander, created an opportunity to preach his bullshit to the group of assembled dudes on the base, got booed and laughed at, then committed seppuku out of shame and embarrassment (also to be remembered with a youthful image as pathetic as that is...def had peter pan complex). also his initial subordinate couldn't even chop his head off correctly so someone else had to step in. jesus what an awkward situation that must've been!

Never heard of it. Tell me more?