Most authors have been to Ivy League schools or schools with extremely low acceptance rates

>most authors have been to Ivy League schools or schools with extremely low acceptance rates

Guys..
Who are some amazing authors who never sucked everyone's dick in school and went to a state uni?
Only one i know of is Oates.

Is there some sort of favoritism by publishers?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JvknGT8W5jA
youtube.com/watch?v=Rksd80-FCAw
keithhennessey.com/2013/04/24/smarter/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Who are some amazing authors who never sucked everyone's dick in school and went to a state uni?
there is none, nobody relevant anyway

being born into privleged background doesn't only entail wealth, it inlcludes your childhood experiences and education.

If you didn't growp up with Veeky Forums parents encouraging you to read, I would give up. Honestly I feel like 60% of Veeky Forums is the lower-middle class waters who attended shitty state schools, played vidya until they were 18, and then suddently broke into literature when they realised they were wasting their life. But the years of drudgery and bad habbits have already taken their toll. Veeky Forums is where failures come to die. I seriously belive this.

agreed. anyone who disagrees and says "but.. but... -insert random author here- started reading late!!!" it's called an exception, idiot, the one that you will not be

Machado de Assis is one of the most important brazilian writers of all time and he never went to university and barely studied, he did it all himself.
Also, he was the son of a washerwoman and hsi father was a painter of walls and son of freed slaves.
(This is 19th century)
>inb4 no one knows about him
Well if you are a uncultured twat you won't know, if its to meme:
>Machado de Assis was post-modern before it was cool.
Well, he did had many characteristics of what came to be the modern and post-modern literature.

The LV chapter of his most important novel:

"O velho diálogo de Adão e Eva The old dialogue of Adam and Eve

Brás Cubas
. . . . . ?
Virgília
. . . . .
Brás Cubas
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . .
Virgília
. . . . . . !
Brás Cubas
. . . . . . . .
Virgília
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Brás Cubas
Virgília
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Brás Cubas
. . . . . . . ! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . ! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . !
Virgília
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ?
Brás Cubas
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . !
Virgília
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . !"

Cormac McCarthy, Alice Munro, Joseph McElroy, J. M. Coetzee, and so on. That's just authors who are alive, too. But yes, it's way easier to find famous authors who went to a prestigious, elite university (while looking for examples, I searched up Roth, Vollman, Ashbery, Prynne, Auster, DeLillo).

easy on those blackpills

>most authors have been to Ivy League schools
oh cool, I guess I'm in the clear then!

I came to lit cause I wanted to find some good books to read

Ivy League schools are literally dependent on how much you can suck up to everyone in high school while slaving away studying pointless bullshit.

The kids who really care about something will be spending their free time doing what they love, not doing every little piece of homework assigned and trying to ace every test.

If a kid loves math, that kid will be spending his time learning math. Not memorizing his biology vocabulary or VESPR theory shit.

t. someone on Veeky Forums

Quite the hubris you have their, buddy.

I'm including myself in that 60%

Oh so you are just a fag trying to rationalize not trying, sad

I mean, looking at the OP that seemed to be the thread topic.

I guess I was projecting myself, but most people on this website seem to attract a similar demographic, one that I'm a part of. Just throwing out my observations on the kind of people browsing here.

>implying there is such thing as relevant authors
You do realize that Cervantes, John Green, and some homeless guy, will all end up forgotten for all of ethernity, right?

the authors of the Bible will never be forgotten, because they will live on even after the Earth has perished.

>Relevance can only be understood on an eternal scale

Nyet

This is false. Terence who was a slave was the most commonly studied latin author/playwright for hundreds of years for his clear concise latin and even though he had bawdy topics and lewd comedies even monks read him for his skill with the language.

fuck off!

It can only be understood on a personal scale, when the person dies, the scale and what it was to be understood become nothing.
>b-but muh jewish tales book
Not an argument.

>it was just my opinion guise x'D
Stay spooked

Some will light a brighter and longer lasting flame than others.

If we're accepting thay the universe will suffer a inevitable heat death, then the goal is to gather and much energy in our lifetime as possible and expend it in a beautiful fire. Live for the moment, but influence the soul of a race rather than a generation of teenagers.

What I am trying to say is that some people aren't born with the capabilities or raised with the material conditions to harness that potential. Especially if we're accepting causal determinism.

Technically so will every other author if Christianity is true.

Melville. The greeks.

Isaiah 65:17
For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.

but you're right insofar as those authors are in heaven as well.

Everything after "beautiful fire" is bullshit.
Trying and failing is 10 times better than "I will not try because muh genetics or muh material conditions or muh [random excuse]", assuming OP really wants to be an author. If that is not the case, yeah whatever.

All souls are immortal is my point. No one is going to go out of existence, even if they're in hell.

Faulkner

Diaz went to Rutgers for undergrad. He did get his MFA from Cornell, though.

Eh… well, there's always Bukowski.

Oh yeah, Hunter Thompson only took classes at FSU while in the Air Force, then straight into newspaper sportswriter.

Herman Hesse did not go to university.

eh, some people believe in annihilationism

Heretics, yes.

your ressentiment is crazy apparent

i went to an ivy league, taught at an ivy league during graduate school, and know many, many people from ivy leagues. sure, there are some idiots, legacies, valedictorians who can only regurgitate simple facts--but these are just extremely competent bean counters, and are recognized as such even within the schools themselves

i'm guessing you did not attend a very selective school, and were most likely rejected by your top choice and are convinced that was some infernal cosmic mistake--or you would probably know some pretty remarkable people, pursuing some pretty remarkable ends, that would discount a lot of what you wrote

>you're ressentiment is crazy apparent
>you're
>ivy league

you're literally too slow and stupid to beat me to my own correction.

cool?

We need a Christian thread on Veeky Forums

Veeky Forums is full of new-ager atheist with some whacky theory that explains Jesus was a mushroom

I really do not get why you feel the need to be a tripfag on Veeky Forums if what you're saying is true.

>tfw the US is that depressing

Come to Europe. University admission is usually manageable and the fees are almost non-existant.
You don't have to play the US game, you already know that it's rigged. Don't get scammed by expensive Ivy League tuitions or shitty community college, pick instead a respectable European university.

or go to a state university??

Make one and link to it here.

what? how do the two relate whatsoever? i've had this trip for maybe 6 or more years, anyway--but why would that matter? it's bizarre logical breaks like this that just make me scratch my head and wonder if you even read the weird, absurd shit you write...like you know how much it all seems to just drip from some inbred insecurity of yours, right? i tend not to look down on people who havent attended ivy leagues, the whole privelege and opporunity, etc etc., but damn, its shit like that that makes me agree entirely with you guys
really do seem like insignificant morons with more beef and brawn than anything resembling brains, seemingly proving just how superior the education offered by those schools is: it simply produces better human agents, ones who don't launch such pathetically trifling "arguments"

it is so fucking clear you were rejected from whatever place you wanted, or look longingly upon those who enjoy such opportunities. there is simply no basis for your anger otherwise.

We both know that state universities in the US are pathetic.
Instead generic universities in France, Germany and Italy are all on the same level (more or less, a few of them are obviously better, but not to an exagerate extent), and they're all affordable, no matter how poor you are.

I've lived in Oklahoma City for 2 years, and I've listened to all kind of horror story about crippling debt and mediocre education. Honestly at this point I'm 100% it's simply not worth it, unless you come from a wealthy family it will be a traumatic experience regardless of how much hard work you'll put into it (especially if you want to study literature).

Just come here in Europe. We will be happy to pay for your education, and rents are not that high.

Is this post satire?
Is it post-satire?

...nice rebuttal, well thought out. thanks for proving my point.

i'm going to end this conversation with you now, walk away from the keyboard, and go casually live a life you would seemingly give anything to have. good night.

>admits to tripping for 6 years
>must post unrelated image with every post
My money is on LARPer.

>Veeky Forums is where failures come to die. I seriously belive this.

Banner?

Rimbaud, Genet, Melville.

ivy schools are solely money-making ideology factories.

Bolano, Melville, Philip K. Dick (only attended for a semester), Rimbaud, Raymond Chandler, Neruda (I believe he only went to uni for a year or two if I'm not mistaken), Raymond Carver (I don't think he went to uni until he already had a reputation as an author), and there are lots more I'm sure.

Joyce

All of them. You don't become a great writer by going to university.

This
>wow, I want to be a writer, that means I should spend all my free time doing homework, studying, and volunteering for extracurricular activities so I can get into a good college instead of actually reading and writing!
Fucking lmao, most Ivy League kids do nothing with their lives

This. Not everyone here is an aspiring author.

Melville
Faulkener
Twain
Edward Abbey

Ivy League schools are a pretty good metric for objective aptitude, barring any affirmative action bullshit.

GW Bush went to yale...

And he got elected President of the United States. Your point?

>Roth, Vollman, Ashbery, Prynne, Auster, DeLillo
Not even half of these authors are worthwhile

>elected

Look up videos of Bush when he was younger. He was extremely eloquent and sharp.

I'm pretty convinced he was/is suffering from dementia or just shit aging.

youtube.com/watch?v=JvknGT8W5jA

Really? I wonder what happened then to go from yale material to speaking like he did during his presidency.

I mean, using the college you attented as a metric to compare yourself to others is just a dick move. Sure you are "living the life", but so what, are you constrewing that one has to attend an ivy league to live a meaningful life in academia? All we're saying is that ivy leagues (barring perhaps princeton) are just brands at this point. You could get the same or better education at much less prestigious universities, getting one's "top pick" is only meaningful for personal vanity of low self-esteem students. All this guy is saying is that you are so fallen down the self-reaffirming ivy league ideological hole that you fail to see why people wouldn't care whether or not they attended one, let alone a college at all.

Wtf? I retract my judgement

It wasn't that he couldn't speak eloquently any longer, moreso he probably trained himself to sound simpler and relatable. Do you think the mostly non-college educated populace of a state like texas (at the time) wanted to elect some swanky ivy league sqaure?

>Act stupid to appeal to lots of people

Trump did something similar by speaking in a simple, colloquial manner. If you want to see him in a different context, here he is testifying to Congress in 1991.

youtube.com/watch?v=Rksd80-FCAw

tfw too smart to act smart

its called binge drinking, it really does fuck you up that bad
>implying Al gore, the ivy league flunky would have been better than the ivy league C average

pretty much

>get a load of this faggot

There's no way you're in a fucking Ivy League. Also, I guarantee you're not in one. You go to a shitty state school.

Stop trying to boost your own ego, just because you're a school nigger and able to retake the sat and do shitty community service doesn't mean you're a good writer.

This place is full of retards like you my man. I'm 35 and I've been to my state school for undergrad and went to Cornell for post grad school.
I can fully say that the people at Cornell are only their because they play the university game that we have in America.

This

None of you losers will never, ever attend an Ivy League, let alone Harvard.

autism

Mr. Ballsack

Also reported for being underage.

>None of you losers will never, ever

Ivy-league writers, everyone.

I got into the best university in my country, is that enough?

Glad I don't go to a school with pseuds like you.

t. MIT

Veeky Forums as a whole is stuck within the I'm-working-class-but-think-I'm-doing-alright drain. It's why you see so many STEMfags.

You'd think Veeky Forums escapes that, but it doesn't, because most of us (not me) are simply failed or dissatisfied STEMfags.

keithhennessey.com/2013/04/24/smarter/

Everybody fucks up sentences. The media just blew every mistake way out of proportion. Notice how they didn't rag on Obama's miscues nearly as much.

Don't post this ever again, you'll get doxxed.

>one of the most egregious affirmative action schools

you have nothing to be proud of tyrone

I played vidya until I was 18 and started reading because I felt like I was wasting my life.
How can you be right on something so specific?

literally nothing to do with /pol/ nigga, just compare MIT's demographics with, say, caltech (which does not practice AA) and the differences are self evident

Who fucking cares.

You aren't living in a time when education was only affordable to the rich.

You have access to all the resources they do, you are just too lazy and stupid to do so, and nobody else cared enough about your education to make you study them.

>its called binge drinking, it really does fuck you up that bad

Jorge Luis Borges.

>objective
top kek

No they aren't.

Princeton is also a brand. All 'ivy league' schools are just degree factories pumping out designer bourgeoisie.
Why would anybody attend a terrible school?

>All 'ivy league' schools are just degree factories pumping out designer bourgeoisie.
I'd rather be designer than generic brand.

>You could get the same or better education at much less prestigious universities
yeah right.
quality of faculty and availability resources

>I'd rather be designer than generic brand.
You're inferior, though.
>quality of faculty
That don't give a damn about you and couldn't distinguish you from the thousands of other idiots.
>availability resources
Which are? What resources, pray tell, does one studying literature require that cannot be found in most libraries or online?

They're ideology factories.

So Ivy League graduates resort to the same sort of gay armchair psychoanalysis that everyone else uses when they want to insult someone.

Good to know.

>I'd rather be designer than generic brand.

DIOS MIO, IDEOLOGIA PURA

itt
kids rp about being enlisted in their favorite schools and think writing is only obtained from sjw pumping sites

ok guys, nice meme, party over

>You aren't living in a time when education was only affordable to the rich.
Yeah, if you're poor you have the """opportunity""" to be jewed by student loans.

>But the years of drudgery and bad habbits have already taken their toll. Veeky Forums is where failures come to die. I seriously belive this.

/thread

He was also more well-read than probably 99% of Veeky Forums by the age of 18

I believe he's talking about access to information; you have the internet, use it. Or don't and complain about lack of opportunity/unfair system

Hemingway never went to college, Mark Twain only finished the fifth grade, and Bukowski only did two years at a community college.

I'm also pretty sure that it was also a lot easier to get into selective colleges when a lot of notable writers attended.

I know a kid who's going to Harvard to play football and he got a 24 on his ACT.

That's a terrible painting

His dad was friends with a priest who recognized his intelligence and educated him from - I think - his mid 20s up until college, and he got into college by the priest's recommendations as well, so he had quite some help. Also, his dad was a free slave but he was successful enough, something like low-to-middle class but more stable than most other people in a similar condition.

But yeah, still one of the great geniuses.