If you got 10M, how can you prove the world is a sphere?

Imagine that a very rich and very old scientist wants you to prove to the people that the earth is flat. You got 10 million from him and the proof needs to work with everyone.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foucault_pendulum
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Wake up scheeple!!!
nasa is lying to us.
if the earth is round why don't people fall to the sky?

Focault's pendulum. Don't need 10M to show the Earth is spherical and rotating..

The rotation of the earth does not imply the round earth. The flat earth can rotate on itself.

But how does this explain the difference in rotational acceleration between the equator and the poles?

Yeah, nah. Do the maths, and it's really not that hard. In case of a disc-like Earth you would not see the same latitudinal dependence that we observe. It's not difficult at all to figure that out.

It's a nice little homework exercise for first year physics students, I'd say.

I don't understand what you want mean with "rotational acceleration". We know that a disc rotating on itself has also a different centripetal acceleration for the different points.

Yeah, but it'll be different compared to a sphere given the different symmetry. Especially around the equator.

Do the math, do the experiment. Compare the experiment with the predictions from a spherical and then from a disc-like model. You'll see that's conclusive enough.

What maths? The Focault Pendulum only proves the rotational movement, not the spherical form of the earth.

We're talking about people who don't believe the NASA footage of spacecraft launching.Or orbital footage that clearly shows the earth being spherical.

If that can be faked, anything other than personal trips for everybody to the upper atmosphere or across the South Pole isn't going to work. And that costs significantly more than $10 million.

You can't bribe away ignorance.

So, just tell me how can I do that. I didn't understand yet how can you proof the "spherical form".

Exactly! That's why Im asking a proof.
Im an atheist and an Electrotechnical Engineer, so Im asking just because.

This is how you do it on a sphere:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foucault_pendulum

Your homework is to do the same calculation for a disc. You'll see that they are different. For a disc, you will have a radial dependence, and the radial dependence will not be the same as the latitudinal dependence on a sphere. Hence, you can use the pendulum to prove or disprove the sphere or disc model.

It's REALLY as simple as that. No satellites needed.

Since the people probably won't accept footage, I'd probably send a weather balloon up in the air with a huge downwards pointed pyramidal mirror attached to the bottom of it. Then people can look at it through a telescope and see the curvature of the earth, although the balloon won't last forever.

>scientist
>prove
Is this a test? I am 99.99% sure that no one who calls themselves a scientist would ever use the word prove.

I spend it on advertising and education. That will do more than any of the approaches suggested in this thread.

>You got 10 million from him and the proof needs to work with everyone.
Impossible. No argument, for any proposition whatsoever, will convince every possible listener. Even perfect proofs are useless when faced with someone who doesn't know how to judge proofs.

/Thread

There's reality and then there's what people believe. They don't go together.

No need to directly prove anything, there are plenty of facts, they just don't care. This is just another example of collective obsessional behavior, and it needs to be treated as such.

Instead of proving anything, manipulate them to think that facts matter. Because you can't rationally argue with them either. Communicate the need of rational thinking and they will figure out the rest themselves, they aren't actually dumb, they're just obsessed with another viral thing.

This is social psychology, not physics.

There is no proof of anything that will work for everyone. Some people are irredeemably stupid.

>Came across a flat earth video that couldn't understand why the motion of the stars and sun is more apparent in the sky within a span of 12 to 24 even though earth's rotation is much slower than it's orbit and the sun's orbit.

the problem is that no matter what you do, flatheads will just say that the evidence was faked. even if you personally took each and every one of them up to the ISS and let them look down at the Earth, they'd still insist that you just had a really good projection setup in a building somewhere.
contra principia negantem non est disputandum.

The real question is why would you want to?

The only people who believe in flat-earth are the same type of people who are anti-vaxxers.

You can show them all the proof in the world and they will never believe it.

>The real question is why would you want to?
$10M sounds like a good motivator.

if the earth is a disc, then being far from the equator on the north side will produce a different rotational movement than being equally far from the equator on the southside.

On a sphere, the rotational movement for a certain distance north of the equator would be equal to the rotational movement south of the equator.

This is because flat-earth models usually have the north pole at the centre, and the south pole around the perimeter. If the earth is rotating, which the Foucault pendulum suggests, then any given point on the south pole has to travel a larger distance in 24 hours than any given point on the north pole.

However, on a spherical earth, any point on the north pole moves an almost identical distance in 24 hours as the antipode (the exact opposite point) on the south pole.

Imagine spinning a plate versus spinning a basketball

Not sure if 10M is enough
But if you dig a hole from one side of the earth to the other and don't fall out into space or run into elephants, than that proves that the earth is not flat.