Does sleep deprivation help or hinder your creativity personally?

Does sleep deprivation help or hinder your creativity personally?

:^)

Yes

Sleep deprivation is pretty much a subject I'm interested in. I find I'm more alert a day after I've had sleep and can focus better but if I go on any longer 2-3 days then I find my movements and speech getting sluggish. As much as I hate contemporary culture for making it cool to marathon TV shows and movies, has anyone just stayed up for a day or two doing nothing but reading?

After 20-24 hours of being awake I'm not capable of doing much of anything, much less try to create something.

I really don't care about anything you typed, delete it.

I prefer to eat some tagliatelle alla bolognese

Staying up for over ~24 hours and just reading the whole way through is a mess with no redeeming qualities. You will stop understanding the simplest sentences, you will have to reread pretty much every other line, your vision is going to constantly be coming in and out of focus as you try not to nod off reading the words and all of that just to retain barely anything

It helps desu. Same with not eating.
Obviously you don't want to push it too far.

How does not eating change anything? Except your stomach hurting

dont leave me hanging

>never heard of nutrition
wew

I don't why, but I laughed out loud

I don't know. It just works for me. Makes me feel like more energy is going into my head instead of digestion.

hypothetically, short-term starvation should put your body into a state of increased stress, which would make your mind a bit sharper, more alert, a state which would be useful for acquiring food. in the long-term though, your body would start to shut down functions in order to conserve energy.

personally, either way, i'm not a fan of this idea, as i think the ideal writing style is like Proust's, overly conscientious but relaxed, like having a neurotic bedmate rambling in your ear in the the early hours of the morning.

:^)

a night without sleep really fucks me up now

I feel drunk and can't write for shit... I get anxious about my comma placement and shit

As someone who has been depressed, struggled with insomnia, and has dealt with ibs for a long stretch of time... being healthy and comfortable are the best conditions for creating. But I have found some truth in 's claim that not eating can help. Of course don't go a whole day without eating but being satisfied and full lends itself to being lazy. Of course though there is a sweet spot for a few hours late at night where you can let your mind wonder to places that are inaccessible during the day. Usually it's gibberish or weird incoherent shit but usually it can be cool to you alone, at least.

Yep, so does bashing your head with books as you can steal the knowledge within them and create your own imagineations

both

hinder

hahahahahaha, I liked this. alot.

I assume it should help if you're running low on ideas. Same thing after a few proper beers.

>there is a sweet spot for a few hours late at night where you can let your mind wonder to places that are inaccessible during the day
The best way to get to this stage with minimal discomfort is rather than trying to pull one single all nighter or whatever and feel like shit, only sleep 3-4 hours for a few nights in a row. It's not little enough that you'll be entirely nonfunctional, but by day 3 it allows your brain to get into that perfect zone where everything feels good and you're creative as fuck (although it may turn out to be bullshit it seems like good stuff at the time at least)

woah... are you guys one of those psychonaut people or something haha

It changes your consciousness, and lets you critique your work from a different angle.

Ideally you should review all your work under diifferent mental conditions and emotional states. Drunk, jaded, tripping, tired, rested, depressed ... it all helps to build up a comprehensive assessment.

You should also try writing in different mindstates too - ideally those which mirror the mood of the prose.

Sorry that you made me laugh, but this is literally what I believed about writing back when I was in highschool

It would make more sense to people who actually graduated.

Or those who never went to highschool.

this

i feel bad for laughing